Coffee Lovers

Started by Strings4Him, November 25, 2011, 05:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Y'all have talked me out of this latest and greatest coffee maker. I'll stick to my fine French press, thank you very much.

@dependan, just an FYI - I'm experimenting with the Aeropress.  The 'normal' way of using it yields the best tasting coffee I've ever made at home.  I even gave my Bodum Brazil french press away.  The Aeropress does lend itself to experimentation and many folks that use it try different ways.

Day 2 update:

This method that I tried, basically pressing a double shot espresso in the evening, chilling it for use as the nectar for two different Americanos and the following two days, is too fidgety for me because I can't add the small amount of hot water to the nectar to yield the right flavor AND the right sipping temperature. 

I'm going back to the tried and true way.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

I broke out the AeroPress today, because; it is a six shot espresso, cappuccino, kind of rainy afternoon today!

Looks good GA-ME   :coffee  Sippin' on a cup right now too  :smile:

GA-ME, how do you do your frothy milk?  Something you can do while the water is boiling for the Aeropress?
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on October 23, 2014, 09:18:24 PM
GA-ME, how do you do your frothy milk?  Something you can do while the water is boiling for the Aeropress?

Scott, I use a KitchenAid immersion blender to froth the milk. I put the milk in the microwave for 60-90 seconds, depending on the amount of milk, and then froth it up.

http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-2-speed-Immersion-Blender/dp/B00BR140BQ

How do you stop the static electricity problem with the coffee grinders? The grounds always grip to all the plastic in the reservoir, makes a mess when you remove the lid to dump the grounds.  Anybody got a trick to eliminate this?
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on October 26, 2014, 12:27:35 AM
How do you stop the static electricity problem with the coffee grinders? The grounds always grip to all the plastic in the reservoir, makes a mess when you remove the lid to dump the grounds.  Anybody got a trick to eliminate this?

I have a little brush I used to sweep things out.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

For my grinder and the static, I stir the grounds with a metal knife and you can get everything out of the corners of the grinder cup.

I have a french press, and the aeropress. Both give me good coffee when i have the time to make it. 

Recently, I switched to decaf, and I've been lucky to find good tasting coffee beans without the caffeine.
Larrivee D-50 total sunburst
Larrivee D-03r
Gibson Custom Shop Advance Jumbo Gold
Gibson SG Classic
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull S6+GT
Art&Lutherie 12 String
Epiphone M-20 Mandolin
1960/61 Supro Lap Steel
Squier P-Bass

Quote from: KenHolden on October 27, 2014, 08:06:17 AM
For my grinder and the static, I stir the grounds with a metal knife and you can get everything out of the corners of the grinder cup.

I have a french press, and the aeropress. Both give me good coffee when i have the time to make it. 

Recently, I switched to decaf, and I've been lucky to find good tasting coffee beans without the caffeine.

Do share, please - I can't take caffeine after about 2 in the afternoon.  I've tried a couple of grocery-store available decaf coffees and have been disappointed.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Okay, a little out of left field here, but someone I work with told me that the darker or I guess, more roasted a coffee is, the less caffeine it contains because the roasting process destroys some of the caffeine.  Is that true?  If it is, then maybe there is a good compromise between decaff and aggressively roasted coffee??
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: rockstar_not on October 27, 2014, 10:49:59 PM
Do share, please - I can't take caffeine after about 2 in the afternoon.  I've tried a couple of grocery-store available decaf coffees and have been disappointed.

Scott, I drink the Kirkland brand Decaf from Costco. I really like it as long as it is ground fresh.  Good price too.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

I was a fan of the darker roasted coffee before the switch to the decaf.   

There's 3 brands that I've been enjoying since the switch mid August.

Starbucks does a few decaf beans, I've been enjoying the Decaf Sumatra blend.   They have a decaf espresso roast, and the house blend in decaf as well

Just Us Coffee out of Nova Scotia have a nice decaf french roast, plus many more roasts/blends   www.justuscoffee.com

Kicking Horse Coffee's decaf has been doing a good job for the past few weeks     www.kickinghorsecoffee.com

Larrivee D-50 total sunburst
Larrivee D-03r
Gibson Custom Shop Advance Jumbo Gold
Gibson SG Classic
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull S6+GT
Art&Lutherie 12 String
Epiphone M-20 Mandolin
1960/61 Supro Lap Steel
Squier P-Bass

Many folks think they're getting more caffeine with, say, espresso, because the taste is so strong, but in reality you're drinking less coffee with an espresso shot vs a mug of breakfast coffee.  I've always been under the impression that beans are very similar but the roasting process makes for the different tastes, strength in flavor, etc.  My personal favorite blend is Columbian Roast. It's a perfect middle of the road taste to me. YMMV.

Quote from: the creature on October 28, 2014, 11:10:36 AM
Many folks think they're getting more caffeine with, say, espresso, because the taste is so strong, but in reality you're drinking less coffee with an espresso shot vs a mug of breakfast coffee. 

Unless, you consume espresso like I do. Generally, I'll have multiple shots which EQUAL the volume of a regular cup of Americano style Joe!

Espresso also can have lower caffeine because their is less cooking 'time', hot water in contact with the beans - at least I heard that somewhere so it must be true!  :tongue:
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

At work we have a nice break room setup provided by the company.  There's a very nice Commercial-sized Bunn maker that the company bought for us.  Pretty cool gesture.  Someone brings in those massive plastic cans of old school Folger's. And made in the Bunn it's really not so bad.  I bring my own coffee a lot, usually Eight O'Clock Columbian, and it's excellent.  It's odd but I'm becoming less a coffee snob all the time and these days will pretty much drink whatever.  I do drawn the line with "flavored" coffee.
:yak:

Quote from: the creature on October 28, 2014, 10:15:03 PM
I bring my own coffee a lot, usually Eight O'Clock Columbian, and it's excellent. 

My regular bean has been Daily Chef Columbian Supreme for quite a while now. It's the Sam's Club brand and it's $14.96 for a 2 1/2 pound bag of beans. I grind it in the store to a fine consistency, but not quite espresso ground. It is quite good. I usually keep a small canister on the counter and freeze the remainder.  When I want a treat, I buy a locally roasted brand called Navigator. The fellow that roasts the coffee restored an old gas fired roaster and built a nice building for roasting behind his coffee shop. I usually get his Bolivian bean which is done to medium roast. When that bean is jut right it is nearly like drinking liquid chocolate. It really makes an exceptional cup of Joe. That bean is $10.00 a pound and I generally try and get it on the roasting day. I have them grind it at the store.

Quote from: GA-ME on October 31, 2014, 07:41:10 PM
My regular bean has been Daily Chef Columbian Supreme for quite a while now. It's the Sam's Club brand and it's $14.96 for a 2 1/2 pound bag of beans. I grind it in the store to a fine consistency, but not quite espresso ground. It is quite good. I usually keep a small canister on the counter and freeze the remainder.  When I want a treat, I buy a locally roasted brand called Navigator. The fellow that roasts the coffee restored an old gas fired roaster and built a nice building for roasting behind his coffee shop. I usually get his Bolivian bean which is done to medium roast. When that bean is jut right it is nearly like drinking liquid chocolate. It really makes an exceptional cup of Joe. That bean is $10.00 a pound and I generally try and get it on the roasting day. I have them grind it at the store.

There's a Denver based roaster called Boyer's Coffee which sells in the local Kroger affiliated grocers and believe it or not, they also sell 2.5 lb bags at Sam's Club for around $18.  My favorite of theirs is their Kona blend which is at Sam's.

I just don't consume it fast enough to make the 2.5 lb bag purchase before the beans get stale.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

I haven't ever gotten into the local roaster thing but I should give it a try.  There are some local shops that I've heard do good work, but with a large family with young children, I hardly ever go out for coffee anymore (it's usually shakes with the family) and when I do it's a drive thru at the Green Machine for a 1.98 cup of Pike Blend.  It's supposed to be Med roast but is as strong as a lot of darks.

Regarding buying large bags off coffee: This Bunn unit at work is a large commercial machine that takes a LOT of coffee to make a full pot, and I cannot figure out how to make smaller pots. I'm going through beans like crazy here.  Side note: I take a lot of the grounds home and throw them in my yard. The Texas soil loves coffee.