Coffee Lovers

Started by Strings4Him, November 25, 2011, 05:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I recently bought 10 bags of Organic Sumatra.  Once a year Beanstock Roasters located on Cape Cod has a sale.  During the sale each bag costs $7.99 instead of $11.29.  It's soooo good.

http://www.beanstockcoffee.com/pages/products/product.php?product_id=2929

I also received the Technivorm Moccamaster as a Christmas gift last year.  I haven't used it yet (waiting for my current machine to halt to a grind :winkin:).

https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/technivorm-moccamaster-kbt741-black-or-polished-silver

By the way, the Seattle Coffee Gear website has lots of videos embedded into each product.  They do a great--and humorous--job on their demos.

Quote from: rockstar_not on October 31, 2014, 08:51:11 PM
I just don't consume it fast enough to make the 2.5 lb bag purchase before the beans get stale.

I wish I had that "problem!" If I use the AeroPress daily, I go through a 2 1/2 pound bag in a week. I bought a one pound bag of the Bolivian bean last Saturday, because my brother was up Saturday and Sunday, helping with some home improvement projects, and because a couple of my wife's friends were stopping by en-route from D.C. back to NYC.  I thought I'd make good coffee and cappuccinos for everyone as a treat. The entire pound was gone by mid-afternoon Sunday.

Strings, I used to drink a LOT of Sumatra. Trader Joe's had a fair trade Sumatra that used to run $4.99 a 12 ounce can. I'd grind it at the store and freeze several canisters for use later. However, over the last couple of years, the price has crept up to $8.99 a can and it just isn't cost competitive with the Sam's brand or the locally roasted Navigator beans. The Navigator bans are so good, it almost makes me want to grind the beans fresh, at home. However, the practical side of me knows that I drink far to much coffee to do so. Unless, I find an old Eight O'clock grinder on craigslist for a nice price!

Quote from: GA-ME on November 01, 2014, 10:44:05 AM
I wish I had that "problem!" If I use the AeroPress daily, I go through a 2 1/2 pound bag in a week. I bought a one pound bag of the Bolivian bean last Saturday, because my brother was up Saturday and Sunday, helping with some home improvement projects, and because a couple of my wife's friends were stopping by en-route from D.C. back to NYC.  I thought I'd make good coffee and cappuccinos for everyone as a treat. The entire pound was gone by mid-afternoon Sunday.

That's a lot of coffee consumption!!!  Even with the extravagant use of beans that the Aeropress requires.  A 12 oz bag lasts me between 10-14 days, but that's just one press per day using two aeropress scoops of unground beans.  I can't drink much more than that without the caffeine giving me racing heart-beat or visual migraines - I can stave off the visual migraines by drinking lots of water.  I do live in CO at about 6500 ft elevation, where the relative humidity averages only 50%, so a good deal of water goes right out the body through the skin each day.  With caffeine as a diuretic, gotta keep the fluid levels high.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on November 01, 2014, 01:38:38 PM
  A 12 oz bag lasts me between 10-14 days, but that's just one press per day using two aeropress scoops of unground beans. 

Scott, I use two AeroPress scoops of finely ground coffee for each 16oz Americano I drink. I fill the chamber with enough water, just off a rolling boil, to barely cover the grounds, let it "bloom" for about 15-20 seconds, fill the press to the absolute top of the chamber, stir for a 30 count, then press into my mug. I top off the mug with water. I have been using filtered water in the kettle as well. I go through so much coffee, because I have 6-10, 16 oz Americanos per day. My wife also has one Americano in the morning, but she has me use just one scoop for her brew, because she gets VERY jittery using the amount of grounds I use. Hello, my name is Jon, coffee has mad my life unmanageable...

Gotta give props to the 8 O'Clock Columbian Whole Bean I bought last night.  But, they are sneaky.  The bag is an 11 oz. bag, when 12 oz. is the standard off-the-shelf size right now and has been for years.

With the skimp of the 1 oz, it's still considerably cheaper than other national whole bean brands for that general quantity, and the roast is better IMO. 

GA-ME, if they have it in your area, give the Boyer's a try from Sam's Club.  The Kona blend is good as is their columbian (can't remember what they call it).

I'll have to give your Aeropress method a try.  I don't do the extra water in the press, I top off in the mug after pressing the 'recommended' amount.

I'm not sure I could even see straight if I had 6-10 16 oz coffees of any type per day.  My eyes would be floating let alone the effects of the caffeine.  How do you find time to make that much coffee with the Aeropress?
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on November 03, 2014, 10:09:36 PM
Gotta give props to the 8 O'Clock Columbian Whole Bean I bought last night.  But, they are sneaky.  The bag is an 11 oz. bag, when 12 oz. is the standard off-the-shelf size right now and has been for years.

With the skimp of the 1 oz, it's still considerably cheaper than other national whole bean brands for that general quantity, and the roast is better IMO. 

GA-ME, if they have it in your area, give the Boyer's a try from Sam's Club.  The Kona blend is good as is their columbian (can't remember what they call it).

I'll have to give your Aeropress method a try.  I don't do the extra water in the press, I top off in the mug after pressing the 'recommended' amount.

I'm not sure I could even see straight if I had 6-10 16 oz coffees of any type per day.  My eyes would be floating let alone the effects of the caffeine.  How do you find time to make that much coffee with the Aeropress?
The Eight O'Clock Columbian has become my favorite coffee.  Tons of flavor there, esp when I grind the beans myself.  And yes, a sneaky trick on their part. 

Quote from: rockstar_not on November 03, 2014, 10:09:36 PM
GA-ME, if they have it in your area, give the Boyer's a try from Sam's Club.  The Kona blend is good as is their columbian (can't remember what they call it).

I'll have to give your Aeropress method a try.  I don't do the extra water in the press, I top off in the mug after pressing the 'recommended' amount.

I'm not sure I could even see straight if I had 6-10 16 oz coffees of any type per day.  My eyes would be floating let alone the effects of the caffeine.  How do you find time to make that much coffee with the Aeropress?

It only takes about a minute, or so, to make an Aeropress Americano. I keep a kettle of filtered water on a low simmer, from  the time I wake, until I switch to drinking water around noon. Our Sam's Club doesn't stock the Boyer's beans. In whole bean bags, they have a breakfast blend, a Columbian Supreme, and a French Roast, all of which are the Sam's, Daily Chef, brand. The only other whole bean choice, at this Sam's Club, is Starbuck's brand beans.

Quote from: GA-ME on November 04, 2014, 01:49:14 PM
It only takes about a minute, or so, to make an Aeropress Americano. I keep a kettle of filtered water on a low simmer, from I the time I wake, until I switch to drinking water around noon. Our Sam's Club doesn't stock the Boyer's beans. In whole bean bags, they have a breakfast blend, a Columbian Supreme, and a French Roast, all of which are the Sam's, Daily Chef, brand. The only other whole bean choice, at this Sam's Club, is Starbuck's brand beans.

I do Americano - but I add the water after I press the 'recipe' amount.  Today I tried your method and I didn't taste much difference but unless I actually made the two methods simultaneously, my palate is not sensitive enough to probably tell the difference from day-to-day.

I do avoid 'Charbux' for the most part. 
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Hi guys  :wave
as I see there are a lot of coffee experts among you   :wink:
So,would u recommend French Press ?
Thanks a lot.

Quote from: Katty on November 16, 2014, 11:03:45 AM
Thanks a lot.

We use the small french press occassionaly.But we use the larger size eveyday.We like them a lot.

It's odd but I only use a French Press in winter.  Same goes for my Bialetti stovetop espresso pot.

Quote from: the creature on November 16, 2014, 02:43:48 PM
It's odd but I only use a French Press in winter.  Same goes for my Bialetti stovetop espresso pot.
But you have one of the old style stove top perculators.

Quote from: dependan on November 16, 2014, 02:48:35 PM
But you have one of the old style stove top perculators.
Yes. I use it for everyday, "regular" coffee, like most ppl use a drip. But the press and the Bialetti don't see much use outside the cold weather months.

Hard to believe that this thread has not been used for 11 months.  Let's fix that straightaway.

Today I did something non-typical for me:  I bought a 12 oz. bag of Starbucks beans; Peak Place.  On sale at the local grocery store for $5.99 for the 12 oz bag.  I steer away from Charbucks in general, but Peak Place is supposed to be medium roast (it isn't, it's a pretty dark roast).

Brought it home and poured the bag into an empty can that used to house 14 oz of Trader Joe's Honduran whole-bean coffee.  I've used that can several times for whatever whole bean coffee I happened to purchase for probably 6 months.

Here's the weird thing, the 12 oz. of the Starbucks Peak Place FILLED THE CAN TO THE BRIM.  The can was empty - that's why I bought the package of Starbucks - I was out of beans.

Those of you that are more afficionados, is there this big of a difference in bean volume vs. bean weight?  If I recall correctly, even the Trader Joe's 14 oz of beans did not fill up the can as much as this 12 oz package of Starbucks.

I used my normal unground bean volume for my recipe and it tasted fine - I might actually make the Peak Place a normal part of the rotation here if it's on sale.

Has anyone ever seen this before?
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

"Charbucks."   :laughin:   

I rarely buy anything from them because it's expensive and I'm almost always let down by it.  However, they do make a good French Roast, and in winter I like their Komodo Dragon blend in my press, but it's up near $15 a pound, so I usually only get it around the holidays as a treat. 

Quote from: Katty on November 16, 2014, 11:03:45 AM
Thanks a lot.

Do you mean the French Mess? Ridiculous way to make coffee, in my humble opinion, unless you have someone to clean it up for you. Coffee's alright but nothing special. I stayed with friends last year and it was all they used. Are coffee grounds actually good for drains? I must say I didn't like it. Give me a filter any day.

Quote from: ducktrapper on October 18, 2015, 09:04:15 AM
Do you mean the French Mess? Ridiculous way to make coffee, in my humble opinion, unless you have someone to clean it up for you. Coffee's alright but nothing special. I stayed with friends last year and it was all they used. Are coffee grounds actually good for drains? I must say I didn't like it. Give me a filter any day.
French Press surely is a messy and laborious way to make coffee, but (at least to my taste) it's pretty wonderful stuff.  For some reason I only use mine in winter though.  And as for the grounds, I always toss them in the yard, even my everyday grounds from my perc pot.  It's great for the soil. 

We have a local discount grocery store that sells a lot of stuff from restaurant suppliers.  Some of this stuff is close to going out of date, dented, and lots of it is in bulk.  I recently scored a 5 lb. bag of Luzianne whole beans for $15!  I ground up a little bit of it and made a pot on the stovetop perc.  Very good, and that is a ridiculously low price for good beans.  If it would have been bad it would have been a waste of $15, but I took the gamble and it worked out.   I also bought a bag of no-name French roast beans there once that were so stale they weren't good for anything.  Like I said, a gamble. 

Quote from: Caleb on October 18, 2015, 09:07:31 AM

And as for the grounds, I always toss them in the yard, even my everyday grounds from my perc pot.  It's great for the soil. 

I should start doing this - thanks.

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992