How difficult is it to install K&K Pure Western?

Started by Redeemed, September 11, 2005, 09:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi everyone,

I know that the pure western is arguably THE most popular pickup among the forum members here... and so, there has to be like a milllion people here that have installed them themselves, yes?

Well I have a friend that purchased a Martin DX something something from Guitar Center a few days ago.. and after I found out about his purchase, I spent a good 4 hours(chatting online) convincing him to consider the Musician's Friend's custom D-15 spruce top instead. (And of course I tried to convince him to get an 03 Larrivee, but he's just more of a Martin fan.. )

Well anyhow.. in the end I convinced him but his only worry was that the D-15 spruce doesn't come with a pickup installed(while the DX did--some basic fishman classic4).  So then I told him about the pure western.......and then eventually promised him that I'd install it for him, because it's so simple(well according to what I've read).

So what are some things I should know about this installation? Is there drilling involved for the endpin? Is it difficult to find the right positioning for the sensors? Is the super-gluing tricky??

Thanks everyone,

-dan
2005 Larrivée OM-03
2013 Larrivée P-03 Koa

My Boss is a Jewish carpenter  <ixoye><

Oh! and I apologize.. I know that this is a topic that gets brought up often...

and also.. how much do decent external volume controller thingies go for? the ones that just clip onto a guitar strap..

thanks again,

-dan
2005 Larrivée OM-03
2013 Larrivée P-03 Koa

Dark,
One of the pros who uses the K&K is John Standefer. Here is a link to a Q@A session with him. If you look through it, one response he gives is on how he has built a jig to ease the installation. Hope this helps!
Ian (in Cedar Creek, TX)
1974 Eko Ranger VI
2002 Larrivee LV10E
2007 McIlroy A25C

"When you're tired, and can't do anything, don't do anything. And while you're not doing anything, practice" - Robert Fripp

Not that hard if you have med. to small hands, otherwise kinda tough getting the PUPS in place.  Good luck!
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

Quote from: dark paniel on September 11, 2005, 09:56:26 PM
Oh! and I apologize.. I know that this is a topic that gets brought up often...

and also.. how much do decent external volume controller thingies go for? the ones that just clip onto a guitar strap..

thanks again,

-dan

May want to look here:

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=8111.0

These are $40 to $125.
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW

Quote from: Woodbadger on September 12, 2005, 09:02:46 AM
Dark,
One of the pros who uses the K&K is John Standefer. Here is a link to a Q@A session with him. If you look through it, one response he gives is on how he has built a jig to ease the installation. Hope this helps!

Thanks WB!... that link was very helpful.. but it seems like a very hardcore installation.. like if you're looking for pinpoint accurate placement of the sensors.  Sure would be nice to set up a jig like that, but I don't think I'd have the means to do so..  also, so does this installation require soldering?  soldering's not a huge problem, but I thought(from the pictures I saw at k&k's site) that the sensors come connected to the endpin jack.

Quote from: HangFire on September 12, 2005, 07:25:44 PM
May want to look here:

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=8111.0

These are $40 to $125.

Thanks Hang for the great link!  That "black box" seems to fit the bill... how's it working out for you? how is it in comparison to the putw unit??

thanks everyone,

-dan

p.s.  can this forum get any better?? it really has to be the best guitar forum in the world!
2005 Larrivée OM-03
2013 Larrivée P-03 Koa

Quote from: dark paniel on September 12, 2005, 09:26:22 PM
Thanks WB!... that link was very helpful.. but it seems like a very hardcore installation.. like if you're looking for pinpoint accurate placement of the sensors.  Sure would be nice to set up a jig like that, but I don't think I'd have the means to do so..  also, so does this installation require soldering?  soldering's not a huge problem, but I thought(from the pictures I saw at k&k's site) that the sensors come connected to the endpin jack.

Thanks Hang for the great link!  That "black box" seems to fit the bill... how's it working out for you? how is it in comparison to the putw unit??

thanks everyone,

-dan

p.s.  can this forum get any better?? it really has to be the best guitar forum in the world!

Hey dan,

The putw unit is defective and I've left 2 messages with the company without a reply.  I need some kind of code to return the item but so far have no luck in obtaining one. $125

The Shatten unit works fine so I'll keep this one and probably buy a  seperate DI box. $40
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW

Dan, please be aware that K&K makes a unit that is exactly what your talking about, except it clips on your belt.   It's the K&K Pure Preamp.  It has gain, bass, mid, treble, and volume, and it's one of the cleanest most effective preamps around.  I have one and I like it over the Baggs PADI.  Maybe one out of ten shows I'll swap in the PADI to deal with room problems like low register feedback.

Check it out here: http://www.kksound.com/purepreamp.html
Buy here (no shipping ever!): http://www.shorelinemusic.com/amplification/kk.shtml

Good luck!
David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Quote from: HangFire on September 13, 2005, 10:12:08 PM
Hey dan,

The putw unit is defective and I've left 2 messages with the company without a reply.  I need some kind of code to return the item but so far have no luck in obtaining one. $125

The Shatten unit works fine so I'll keep this one and probably buy a  seperate DI box. $40

Hang, thanks for your reply.. and sorry to hear about the faulty putw unit.

Quote from: dberch on September 14, 2005, 10:22:16 AM
Dan, please be aware that K&K makes a unit that is exactly what your talking about, except it clips on your belt.   It's the K&K Pure Preamp.  It has gain, bass, mid, treble, and volume, and it's one of the cleanest most effective preamps around.  I have one and I like it over the Baggs PADI.  Maybe one out of ten shows I'll swap in the PADI to deal with room problems like low register feedback.

Check it out here: http://www.kksound.com/purepreamp.html
Buy here (no shipping ever!): http://www.shorelinemusic.com/amplification/kk.shtml

Good luck!
David

David, thanks for your reply... the Pure Western and the Pure Preamp would probably be the best combo for my friend, but unfortunately, the Pure Preamp would push his budget way over his initial limit.  And also, since he's a very simplistic kinda guy, he'd probably be better off with a simple volume controller like the black box.

Thanks everyone,

-dan
2005 Larrivée OM-03
2013 Larrivée P-03 Koa

One more thing,

Does anyone know where you can get one of those 1/2" reamers?? ones that can be used to ream out the endpin hole for the endpin jack.  Are they available at any ol hardware store? or are they some sort of a specialty tool... Also, how much do these go for??

-dan
2005 Larrivée OM-03
2013 Larrivée P-03 Koa

Quote from: dark paniel on September 14, 2005, 07:37:33 PM
One more thing,

Does anyone know where you can get one of those 1/2" reamers?? ones that can be used to ream out the endpin hole for the endpin jack.  Are they available at any ol hardware store? or are they some sort of a specialty tool... Also, how much do these go for??

-dan

Here is the Stewmac listing:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Jacks/Endpin_Jack_Reamer.html
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Quote from: dbirchett on September 14, 2005, 07:58:55 PM
Here is the Stewmac listing:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Jacks/Endpin_Jack_Reamer.html

hmm.. yeah, I saw that one.. but thought that it was kinda pricey.. are they all that expensive??

-dan
2005 Larrivée OM-03
2013 Larrivée P-03 Koa