Advertising

Started by skramer, August 02, 2021, 12:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I do not see Larrivee Advertising anywhere and not rated in Acoustic Guitar anymore. Why? Just curious.
Larrivee OM-03RE 2004
Larrivee Parlor O-R 2003
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Taylor T5z - Mahogany
Yamaha Acoustic SLG200

Probably to trim costs and avoid more demand than they want to receive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Companies that advertise a lot (Taylor, Martin) don't offer as much guitar for the money as Larrivee. The consumers are paying for that advertising, indirectly. Larrivee's strategy seems to be to sell slightly fewer guitars, but keep more of their profit.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

I could be wrong, but it seems there's never a glut of Larrivee's on the market.  It could be that the right balance has been reached between production and sales.  Not every company is out for 100% of the market.

Ed

Quote from: B0WIE on August 03, 2021, 01:49:05 PM
Companies that advertise a lot (Taylor, Martin) don't offer as much guitar for the money as Larrivee. The consumers are paying for that advertising, indirectly. Larrivee's strategy seems to be to sell slightly fewer guitars, but keep more of their profit.

I feel that this is especially true of Taylor.

I have nothing against Bob Taylor - he seems to be a good man. But this is the business model he's chosen (and now the company is employee owned, right?), and it seems to be based on heavy marketing of a product that is slick on the surface, but underneath it is (to my eyes and ears) a lesser instrument. Taylors have slick packaging, but in the end, I find them to be way overpriced compared to Larrivees (and Martins quite frankly - you get a LOT more guitar from both Larrivee and Martin for your $$$).

JMHO...and it's worth exactly what you paid for it!
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

My son has three Taylors and all play and sound great to me including a 214-solid wood guitar, new models are laminate back and sides, a Baby Taylor and an Electric, solid body, not sure of the model.

These builders all seem to be amicable with each other including jean Larrivee, Chris Martin, Bob Taylor, Richard Hoover and the late Bill Collings, at least in print. Fortunately, we have choices.

Quote from: teh on August 04, 2021, 04:32:31 PM

These builders all seem to be amicable with each other including jean Larrivee, Chris Martin, Bob Taylor, Richard Hoover and the late Bill Collings, at least in print. Fortunately, we have choices.

Very true.  And, they all seem to have shared techniques and tricks pretty openly... 

Ed