Planet Waves Two-way Humidification System

Started by cc407, December 09, 2015, 07:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have been tired of adding water to sound hole humidifiers in all the months with an "R" and finally treated my Larrivée
(and my other 3 "good" guitars) to the Planet Waves Two-way Humidification System.
Seems like an easy way to go and to feel sure of proper humidity.
It feels good to have made the investment. Waiting to see how long the packets last.
I sill use the cheaper sound-hole sponge-filled types on my cheaper guitars that hang on the wall.

Haven't tried it.  Is that the type that maintains ideal RH through disposable packets?  I used to do Oasis but it was always a guessing game.  After going to room humidification I can't imagine going back.  But, if you have one or two guitars and your humidity isn't bad year-round like it is here in the desert, I can see the Waves working well.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on December 09, 2015, 07:36:29 PM
Haven't tried it.  Is that the type that maintains ideal RH through disposable packets?  I used to do Oasis but it was always a guessing game.  After going to room humidification I can't imagine going back.  But, if you have one or two guitars and your humidity isn't bad year-round like it is here in the desert, I can see the Waves working well.

Yes, that's the system.

Watch it carefully,  I can't see any way those things could release anywhere close to the amount of moisture compared to a more normal system, and I have to re-fill my soundhole humidifiers weekly.

I have used these for about 18 months and am quite pleased with them.  They are only to be used in your case.  You can put a hydrometer in the case to verify there effectiveness. 

I can't comment directly on the Planet Waves system since I've never used one.  I used to make my own sound-hole humidifiers with a sponge in a zip-lock bag with a bunch of holes punched in it.  I sealed the sound holes with a square piece of wood cut from cedar shingles and sized to cover the hole and be held in place by the friction of the strings when I slid it over the hole.  However, I found that once I had more than a couple or three guitars, the soundhole humidifiers were just too much of a hassle to refill and monitor for effectiveness.

If at all possible, I would try to create a "guitar room" or closed-off space with a basic room humidifier in it and a hygrometer to monitor the humidity in that space.  Much easier to control and all you have to do is refill the tank when it runs dry, and change the filter every few weeks.  Also, in a controlled room, it doesn't matter if the guitars are in cases, on the wall, or on guitar stands.

I acknowledge some people don't have the space to do this, and the sound-hole method is the only viable option.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

I am using this system and as long as you keep your case closed you will be alright.  They won't work if it gets too dry.  The absorb and release moisture so in humid months they are supposed to keep you instrument from extremes in either direction.  I have been using them about 9 months and no complaints so far.