"Bad" Guitar for the Price?

Started by ducktrapper, February 24, 2008, 08:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Chuck40 on February 26, 2008, 11:08:52 AM
...the fact that I can get a really fine sounding guitar for less than $1000 is a great thing. I don't believe that it is a great guitar for the money - it is a great guitar...

No truer word have ever been spoken!

:cheers

Quote from: Michael1964 on February 26, 2008, 12:55:47 AM
I can't believe you guys even said BlueRidge... Yuck! They are made in China...  I would not have one if it were some magical guitar and made me play like Tony Rice or Doc Watson. Folks feel like they saved all sorts of money by getting one. I want to buy products made in the USA. I bet the folks in Ca are liking my attitude, my way of thinking will keep them in a JOB. I hope others will return the favor and buy products made in the US. You know all of us will not be able to work at McDonalds..... we need to produce a product, being a bread winner of sorts. Like you go to Wal-Mart and saved money over the past 15 year.... Now all your mom and pop stores are gone.... Now Wal-Mart is the only store left in town.... Now you get to pay their price and have no other options... OK, what did that cost ya?

Now save money money and live better,... I can't even find a pair of tennis shoes made in the US... I know we did make shoes in the US at one time... (Oh yeah, we are gonna, save money and live better and work for Mc Ds, because the US folks can't make a tennis shoe... I did find some socks made in the US, I guess we still know how to make a pair of socks....

I guess I better stop before I get kicked out of the forum...

New Balance makes some of their athletic shoes in the USA.
I used to be "edman" here......

Quote from: Hudman on February 26, 2008, 04:18:46 PM
New Balance makes some of their athletic shoes in the USA.
Quote from: Michael1964 Today at 01:55:47 AMI did find some socks made in the US, I guess we still know how to make a pair of socks....
Sock production will soon cease in the USA, in favor of new trade agreement with Honduras. (hard to get get mahogany from there any more...)
back on topic> Honduran socks will be pretty good for the price.

Quote from: Michael1964 on February 26, 2008, 12:55:47 AM
I want to buy products made in the USA. I bet the folks in Ca are liking my attitude, my way of thinking will keep them in a JOB. I hope others will return the favor and buy products made in the US.

I'm 100% for buying American, it just seems like nothing is made in America anymore except cars and trucks. If things keep going the way they are we won't even have that. Maybe the folks in CA that work in the Larrivee factory will like your attitude but don't count on the majority of the population in CA, there are more foreign car drivers in CA than anywhere else.

Quote from: Walkerman on February 26, 2008, 09:19:19 AM
You know, we ship products all over the world.  Where would we be if folks said "yuck, that widget was made in america, give me a widget made in good ol' Ethiopia...."

It's a global economy.  We're all in it together.  Remember what protectionism got us in the 30's. 

Could you make a list of the products we ship all over the world, or at least give me a handful of examples?

I'm sorry but I think the only reason "It's a global economy" is because big businesses moved their production over there so they could use cheap labor. You don't see them paying those people in china a decent wage, they just have more to line their pockets with.
Some people seem to forget there is not a suit and tie job for every American, nor is everyone capable of that type of work. Some people prefer to work with their hands, and no everyone can't be a luthier.

Even the skilled laborer has a hard time finding work with the housing market where it is. In places like MI and FL even the home builders and the people that back them are loosing their shirts. Our government has let this get way out of hand.

:donut  :coffee  :donut2  :beer

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

I never wanted to mine coal or knit socks, I don't know about you. If I mine coal, I certainly don't want my kids to have to mine coal. I want them to be doctors and lawyers and such. Somehow, I think the situation and the transaction is more complicated than most of us (want to) understand. The evolution and distribution of labour is a fascinating subject though. 

But we digress and I'm still tickled with my "bad" guitar for the money concept. It's a joke folks!  :arrow

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on February 26, 2008, 05:38:08 PM
I'm 100% for buying American, it just seems like nothing is made in America anymore except cars and trucks.

Could you make a list of the products we ship all over the world, or at least give me a handful of examples?

:donut  :coffee  :donut2  :beer

11% of the US GDP is exports.
It includes but not limited to:
Hides and skins, metal ores and scrap, pulp and waste paper, tobacco and cigarettes, rice, cotton, coal, meat, wheat, gold, animal feeds, soybeans and corn.
lots of software, aerospace, arms & munitions, medical supplies & pharmaceuticals, cars and trucks
and the occasional donut. :donut

Quote from: Queequeg on February 26, 2008, 06:24:59 PM
and the occasional donut. :donut

Oh yeah, I forgot about the donut.

Another question, how much import tax or value added tax do you pay when you buy something from another country?
Roger

Quote from: dennq on February 26, 2008, 09:36:33 AM

Just to let you know that 11% of the money spent on that Toyota stays in the country and the rest leaves the country to support the Japanese economy. Are you really getting more for your money. I think not. I would rather buy domestic goods and leave my hard earned dollars at home.

I should have said buy North American...
Larrivee L-09FM
Larrivee OMV-03 RE
Larrivee L-03 WL
Larrivee D-03 Special Gloss
Taylor 314 Koa
Gibson Les Paul Classic Plus
Gibson ES-335
PRS Swamp Ash Special
Fender Zone Bass
                   Dennis

Quote from: dennq on February 26, 2008, 09:36:33 AM

Just to let you know that 11% of the money spent on that Toyota stays in the country and the rest leaves the country to support the Japanese economy. Are you really getting more for your money. I think not. I would rather buy domestic goods and leave my hard earned dollars at home.

Well, how much money spent in Europe for a Ford or a John Deere tractor comes back to America.
I would rather buy the best product for the money...Viva le capitalism....
You might recall, if you're old enough, that in the 70's American auto makers put out total crap.  I mean TOTAL CRAP.
It was the competition from the Japanese carmakers that forced the American auto industry to put out an improved product.

I suspect that those who are whining "buy America" are really saying...buy union.  The days of the union are gone.

Quote from: Walkerman on February 26, 2008, 07:52:28 PM
You might recall, if you're old enough, that in the 70's American auto makers put out total crap.  I mean TOTAL CRAP.

You mean in the 70's American auto engineers designed total crap. The laborers just put together what they are given. American made vehicles now for the most part are every bit as good as foreign, people just can't forget the olden days and keep comparing new Toyota's to old Vega's and Pinto's. At least the auto mags are starting to realize this fact.
Roger

Quote from: Walkerman on February 26, 2008, 07:52:28 PM
Well, how much money spent in Europe for a Ford or a John Deere tractor comes back to America.
I would rather buy the best product for the money...Viva le capitalism....
It was the competition from the Japanese carmakers that forced the American auto industry to put out an improved product.

I suspect that those who are whining "buy America" are really saying...buy union.  The days of the union are gone.

I am 47 so I do remember.  The foreign competition forced everyone to clean up their act.

The cars of the 50's and 60's rusted, squeeked, and died an early death. But they were fast and looked cool had style and command high prices for a really nice one not like the ones made today.

It was also the Unions who improved working conditions for everyone.

There is a BIG recession coming...You can take that one to the bank...
Larrivee L-09FM
Larrivee OMV-03 RE
Larrivee L-03 WL
Larrivee D-03 Special Gloss
Taylor 314 Koa
Gibson Les Paul Classic Plus
Gibson ES-335
PRS Swamp Ash Special
Fender Zone Bass
                   Dennis

Quote from: dennq on February 26, 2008, 08:08:57 PM
I am 47 so I do remember.  The foreign competition forced everyone to clean up their act.

The cars of the 50's and 60's rusted, squeeked, and died an early death. But they were fast and looked cool had style and command high prices for a really nice one not like the ones made today.

It was also the Unions who improved working conditions for everyone.

There is a BIG recession coming...You can take that one to the bank...

I'm 55 and would like to disagree with you 100%.

Now for "The Only Thing Worse" category.

Worse than Unions? ..... No unions.
Capitalism? .... every other system.
Democracy? .......... Every other form of government.
(North) America? .......... Everywhere else.

:arrow

I just purchased a guitar this week (haven't received it yet).
It's an SD-50MT TSB.
Al Petteway lives in the neighborhood of the store where I purchased it, so he 'samples' them for their website so that you can *hear* the guitar before you buy it. So he played this guitar I bought. Here's what he said about my guitar:
Comments: "Although I flatpicked the sample on this one, the wider string spacing also makes it ideal for fingerstyle. It's a very versatile guitar and can't really be beat for the money." - Al Petteway
:roll

Quote from: ducktrapper on February 27, 2008, 06:16:36 AM
Now for "The Only Thing Worse" category.

Worse than Unions? ..... No unions.
Democracy? .......... Every other form of government.
(North) America? .......... Everywhere else.

:arrow
:+1:  Well Said!
Larrivee D-09
Washburn D-10S
Framus Classical Archback
Fender Jazz and P-Basses

"Snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more?" (Eric Idle)
Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero)

Quote(North) America? .......... Everywhere else.

I think there are a whole bunch of Europeans who would disagree with you!
:laughin:
~Lynn :guitar

Quote from: thistle on February 27, 2008, 12:33:23 PM

Probably a whole lot of Americans too.
Roger

Quote from: thistle on February 27, 2008, 12:33:23 PM

Sure !!   :beer 
Larrivée OOO40-MT (2018)
Gibson Advanced Jumbo (1997)
Taylor AD17E Blacktop

I love the smell of Spruce in the morning

Quote from: ducktrapper on February 27, 2008, 06:16:36 AM
And someone could disagree with this too.....     
Larrivée OOO40-MT (2018)
Gibson Advanced Jumbo (1997)
Taylor AD17E Blacktop

I love the smell of Spruce in the morning