L-05 KHaya - Acoustic Guitar Mag Article???

Started by fingerstylebanjo, February 25, 2008, 06:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Am I the only one to notice that the L-05 on page 51 (Acoustic Guitar magazine - Larrivee article) appears to be made of Khaya??

Isn't Khaya African Mahogany (not a true mahog)??  Did I miss something regarding the -05 series??   :?
My Guitars:
Larrivee LV-03RE, OM-03MT, L-03WL
Northwood MJ-80
Paragon 00 (Makore)
Seagull 25th Anniv Mahog
Guild GAD-30R, GAD-30E
Epiphone AJ-500RC (12-Fret)
Walden G3030CE, G3000, G2070, N730, N550CE
Dean BW-6 Banjitar
Republic Single Cone, Tricone, Steel Parlor
Washburn R316SWRK Parlor
Walnut Banjo

Quote from: fingerstylebanjo on February 25, 2008, 06:31:26 PM
Am I the only one to notice that the L-05 on page 51 (Acoustic Guitar magazine - Larrivee article) appears to be made of Khaya??

Isn't Khaya African Mahogany (not a true mahog)??  Did I miss something regarding the -05 series??   :?

I am looking at page 51 right now. Kyaha is definitely African Mahogany. Is it a "special" or just a standard 05? Many builders seem to be passing Sapele and Kyaha as Mahogany these days. Good tonewoods by their own right, but not South American Hog. It's getting expensive and if saving $20 a guitar keeps prices low then it's business.
1997 Tacoma PM20
2001 Tacoma C5C Chief
2004 Tacoma EMM30 Forum Guitar
2006 Tacoma VECK40C

Tacoma Guitar Forum

Though similar in appearance, Khaya is not in the mahogany family, despite the "African Mahogany" moniker.  Sounds close to hog, but not same genus.  Same goes for sapele - similar look and sound (some say), but neither are directly related botanically to mahogany.

Cheaper indeed...sign of things to come.  Hold on to your hogs!

Man you got good eye's. I looked at the picture and couldn't figure out how you could tell that without being able to see the back or sides. Then I got out my magnifying glass and it became clear.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Yeah, I usually go through the guitar magazines pretty thoroughly (especially when they are talking about Larrivees)....

So, does anyone know if this is a special run - or is Larrivee officially moving away from Honduran Mahogany in the -05 series???
My Guitars:
Larrivee LV-03RE, OM-03MT, L-03WL
Northwood MJ-80
Paragon 00 (Makore)
Seagull 25th Anniv Mahog
Guild GAD-30R, GAD-30E
Epiphone AJ-500RC (12-Fret)
Walden G3030CE, G3000, G2070, N730, N550CE
Dean BW-6 Banjitar
Republic Single Cone, Tricone, Steel Parlor
Washburn R316SWRK Parlor
Walnut Banjo

The label also says "Winter NAMM 2008"  it could be that this was a special run made just for NAMM.