anybody here play MANDOLIN?

Started by Caleb, November 03, 2006, 05:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

i played one today for the first time.  i REALLY liked it and am going to have to have one.  must....talk....to....santa.....about.....this......

anyway, me and the thing seemed to click. anybody recommend a good one that wont break the bank?

i played a Hofner that i really liked, as well as an Alvarez (was ok).  the fender looked and felt cheap.  the webbers seemed good.

I have found that the Michael Kelly mandos offer an excellent value.  All solid wood, and good tone and playability.  I have been playing for about a year, and really like mine.  Give 'em a try.

RB

the michael kellys seem pretty nice, but most have pickups, and i def. dont want a pickup in a mandolin.  i also have only seen MK's in burst finishes and in f-styles.  im leaning more toward a natural finish and and a-style body. honestly, i may just build one from a stew mac kit. they offer all solid woods and it doesnt look that tough.  or, if i can find a good deal on something i'll go ahead and purchase.

btw, can anyone tell me why the gibsons are so freakin expensive?  gee whiz, the price is not hundreds more, but thousands more than most other makers.  im sure there is tons of detail and bench time putting one of these things together right, but man, the prices are beyond insane.

:ph34r:

Most michael kellys come with a pickup or no pickup.  I think they make more without pups than with.  Also they offer different finishes, not just sunburst.  They are definately the best deal going as far as for you money.  If you want a natural A-style mandolin for a great deal, check out the breedlove mandolins.  they are professional quality mandolins for great prices.  Gibson are so expensive because they are the ones who designed the f-style mandolin, and people will pay a lot to get the name gibson on their mandolin.  The father of bluegrass bill monroe played a Gibson F-5 and blugrassers are pretty traditional so there you go.  You can get mandos that are equal or nicer than gibsons though.  A la Nuggett and a few other makers.  I think Webber offers a real professional mandolin for a good price. 

Check out www.folkofthewood.com  they have lots of sound clips and info. They also offer a lot o mandos.  They set them all up to their high standards(even the cheap ones.)

I was just about to recommend that you look at the Mid-Missouri web site, because they have a great reputation: American made, all solid woods, not flashy but very good-sounding... To my surprise the company has gone out of business! Some fight with an insurance company about who is responsible for a fire. Too bad.

But used ones show up pretty frequently on http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi

I am a little ashamed to admit that the first mandolin I bought for myself was a cheap import. A "Rover" which cost $149 but which plays and sounds fine. Was not that impressed with the Michael Kellys, though every instrument is different.

Whatever you do, a setup is crucial. Good luck.

--Lee

I would recommend hanging out at the mando cafe (link below) for a few days.  You'll be able to find numerous threads discussing inexpensive mandos for beginners.  Used A models tend to be the usual recommendation.
I've been learning on a Michael Kelly for the past 6 months. Bought it used and it's been a good thing to start on.   I'm pretty hooked now and am planning to step up to the next level this year.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi

Mandos are fun.   Good luck.
Phil

I have a couple of cheapies, an Ibanez and an Anjo. Would really like a Larrivée F style someday but don't play well enough to actually buy one. It would probably have me playing more though!

Be sure to check out Eastman.  They make a great all solid wood mando and affordable too.  I bought an A body style from Steve at giannaviolins.com and he was very helpful to me in selecting my first mandolin.  Read up on the mandovoodoo process he does.  You can read about it on mandolincafe.com as well.  Eastmans turn up every now and then on the classifieds at that site.  Good luck!

-Dean

1986 Larrivee L-05

Yes, mandos are fun. I'm a firm believer in looking for an older vintage mando.  I'd highly recommend an older A-style Stradolin  mando, many of these were made in 30's-40's, and are often solid woods, with arch tops (tops pressed, instead of more expensive carved).  Great woody tone, usually pretty solid, vintage mojo, and will retain their value if you ever need to sell.  You can often find these for under $200.  On eBay all the time, like this one:

See Stradolin mando on ebay

If you look on eBay, search under both "Stradolin" and Strad-O-Lin"

D-02E

I bought a 40's Kalamazoo oriel mandolin ( same as Gibson ) for $ 250.00 and it needed a Little work. But they are great mandolins. But they seem to be going for around $ 1,200 to 1,400.00 now days. Some of the old Strad-o-lins are very good but there are a lot of different Strad-o-lins around some solid tops and some plywood tops and some newer ones that are all plywood. You have to know what your buying with them. And you wont get hurt as much on resale if you buy a used one to start with. I would start with a decent  A style. A good ( like used Kalamazoo, or solid top strad ) will sound more like a Gibson F style than most newer F style mandos.
Larrivee D-60
Larrivee D-05 Gryphon Headstock
Guild F-35NT
Gibson B-25
Yamaha LL-25
Martin D-16H
Martin LX1
1902  "Up toDate Guitar" oak parlor
1944 d-28  Martin ( sold last year )

I play a 1919 Gibson style A4.Great vintage mandos that sell for a decent price.around 1200 to 1400.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

been reading the mandolin cafe and learning a TON. think i'll be getting an A-style somewhere in the near future.

Just a thought, Sound of Acoustic Soul---
If you ever get a chance to try out a Tacoma mandolin, do it. While these mandos aren't going to have a traditional bluegrass sound, they are very well made and have a unique sound. More importantly, they have a super sweet radiiused fret board. I have seen these on the Mandolin Cafe for a great price. Can't beat these for a beginner.
But, if you stumble onto an old "A" style mando, go for it! I have a Rigel and a Weber mando. Both are different, but both are great!
--Fred

I bought a Mid-Missouri (M-4) on the day he closed his business in Rocheport, MO.  I believe that he will reopen with another name.
Larry

<1 or 2 nice ones>

Quote from: ElJefe on November 08, 2006, 09:38:00 PM
I bought a Mid-Missouri (M-4) on the day he closed his business in Rocheport, MO.  I believe that he will reopen with another name.
ive heard nothing but praise for these instruments.  whats you opinion of the one you own?

I highly recommend a Flat Iron Pancake mandolin made either by Flatiron or Gibson when they bought out Flatiron. They started making them around the early 80's until 1987 when Gibson bought them out and made them in their plant in Montana until 1996 or so.

Jeff
Stanford PSD10 (best Martin D-18 copy out there!)
Stanford PSD20
Walden D552 12-string
The Loar LM-400VS Mandolin

I asked a few friends who play and they all said that Eastman makes a very good lower-end mandolin. I'd call some places like folkofthewood.com or mandolin brothers and ask them, they won't steer you wrong.
Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3

I bought a Hohner A style. It is translucent blue. I found it in a thrift shop for $25.00, bag & pitch pipe included.
It needed new strings, but was virtually unplayed. I polished it up stays tuned and sounds good.
The mando is all wood, there is no decal or label as to where it was made, but it looks good.
I am a very rank beginner, I am trying to train my ear to hear melodies and be able to find notes on the mando.
I have been playing guitar for 40 years and always have played chords, I want to play some leads. The mando scales seem easier to learn, once I get the ear training I am hoping to be able to transfer my melody notes to the guitar.
SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes

Quote from: PortHueneme on November 13, 2006, 06:01:28 PM
I bought a Hohner A style. It is translucent blue. I found it in a thrift shop for $25.00, bag & pitch pipe included.
It needed new strings, but was virtually unplayed. I polished it up stays tuned and sounds good.
The mando is all wood, there is no decal or label as to where it was made, but it looks good.
I am a very rank beginner, I am trying to train my ear to hear melodies and be able to find notes on the mando.
I have been playing guitar for 40 years and always have played chords, I want to play some leads. The mando scales seem easier to learn, once I get the ear training I am hoping to be able to transfer my melody notes to the guitar.
be sure to check out the mandolin cafe online.  ive been reading tons of threads there.  much to learn and it seems like a great place to start.  still havent gotten my first mandolin yet though.

Quote from: DrLeeDetroit on November 05, 2006, 02:50:24 PM
I was just about to recommend that you look at the Mid-Missouri web site, because they have a great reputation: American made, all solid woods, not flashy but very good-sounding... To my surprise the company has gone out of business! Some fight with an insurance company about who is responsible for a fire. Too bad.

But used ones show up pretty frequently on http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi

I am a little ashamed to admit that the first mandolin I bought for myself was a cheap import. A "Rover" which cost $149 but which plays and sounds fine. Was not that impressed with the Michael Kellys, though every instrument is different.

Whatever you do, a setup is crucial. Good luck.

--Lee

I also bought a Rover F Style (M-75)  that sounds pretty good for the money. It also has some nice appointments and the solid top is very nice. It looks and plays like a much more expensive instrument. The one thing I can say is this; and it is important if you are buying this as a first or beginner mando. Mine came strung BUT with the bridge unattached.  Unless you really know how to set-up and intonate your mando, you may be looking at having to get it set-up for you. Some dealers will do this for you so you want to check before you buy. I have since upgraded to a Weber which is more $$ but worth every penny. I also have a Mid-Missouri and agree that it is the best choice for a US made, starter mandolin that you wont mind keeping for awhile, even if you do upgrade later.
Bad G.A.S.