anybody here play MANDOLIN?

Started by Caleb, November 03, 2006, 05:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

:ph34r:

www.folkofthewood.com has sound clips of lots of mandolins.  Also, has free lessons.

I agree with everything said above regarding getting a new mando professionally set up.  I purchased a Kentucky 380S (all solid wood import) a few years ago from Folk of the Wood, and I was very impressed with both the instrument and and FOTW's set up of it.  I notice that no one has mentioned Kentucky mandolins, but I think that they are very good at their price point.  I think I paid under $400 for mine, and it has served me well on stage and in the studio. 

Great, all this discussion of mandos means that I'll have to forsake the guitar tonight and show my mando a little love...sometimes I wish I never felt compelled to pick up other instruments.  I would sure as heck be a better guitarist if I didn't feel guilty about neglecting the mando, dobro, and other assorted stringed things laying around my house.
2007 Martin 000-28 Norman Blake
2006 Larrivee L-03WL
2004 Tacoma DM9
2004 Cordoba 30
1993 Stratocaster Deluxe Plus
1979 Les Paul Custom

+1 for what kevbo said.  I have an inexpensive Kentucky mando.  Solid-maple back/sides and solid-spruce top.  After spending a little time setting it up, I have an instrument that sounds decent and is playable.  That's all it takes for me to have some fun with it.  :nana_guitar

Kentucky is to mandolins like Blueridge is to acoustic guitars.  An inexpensive import that can be surprisingly good.

anyone know anything about Rover mandos?  they are made by Saga, same company that makes Kentuckys.

FWIW, I really like the KM150S from Kentucky.  seems to be a lot of box for the bucks.

Hmm.......never heard of Rover.  The Kentucky 150S is the model I have.  No regrets with buying it.

Mine was a factory second.  The neck was good, the frets level.  The only thing wrong was a buzz that turned out to be a loose nut on the truss rod.  Also, the back was not bookmatched.  I mean two totally different pieces of wood.  :?  Gives me a chuckle whenever I look at it.  Sounds good though.

You can find some decent low-cost instruments, but a good set-up is crucial.  I've defintely gotten my moneys worth of music out of it.  Love that chirpy sound it has.

Quote from: rounder on December 12, 2006, 08:48:50 PM
Hmm.......never heard of Rover.  The Kentucky 150S is the model I have.  No regrets with buying it.

Mine was a factory second.  The neck was good, the frets level.  The only thing wrong was a buzz that turned out to be a loose nut on the truss rod.  Also, the back was not bookmatched.  I mean two totally different pieces of wood.  :?  Gives me a chuckle whenever I look at it.  Sounds good though.

You can find some decent low-cost instruments, but a good set-up is crucial.  I've defintely gotten my moneys worth of music out of it.  Love that chirpy sound it has.
If you buy one from Elderly they do an extensive setup, which is included in the purchase price. Whatever I end up with, it'll be from Elderly. They stock tons of mandos and I'm told that they will search the store over pretty good to get the best sounding box, then they'll start working on it and making adjustments...then they mail it to you.  I'm told that the Rovers are basically Kentuckys with the uglier wood, so you save some bucks.  The back  of them are normally gloss black with a burst on top, where the Kentuckys have a burst all over, including the back of the neck on some models.  Too bad these companies don't just give em a nice satin finish and be done with it.  some of the cheaper instruments look so silly with those bursts IMO.

I've heard nothing but negative things about folk of the wood's service, but their website is really nice. 

I have a Rover that I bought from Saga, (see my earlier post) and its great for the $$. I agree with Kevbo regarding the Kentucky mandos. I looked at both and was torn until the Rover just happened to be there at the moment I pulled the trigger. Again, my only regrewt was NOT having it set-up prior to delivery and that is why buying from guys like Elderly and FOTW is a good thing to do. I am still fussing with mine even after downloading pretty good set-up info onlne but I am no luthier. My motto has been to upgrade only when I can play well enough to notice the difference ...... :smile:
Bad G.A.S.

Quote from: dleahy on December 13, 2006, 12:22:24 PM
I have a Rover that I bought from Saga, (see my earlier post) and its great for the $$. I agree with Kevbo regarding the Kentucky mandos. I looked at both and was torn until the Rover just happened to be there at the moment I pulled the trigger. Again, my only regrewt was NOT having it set-up prior to delivery and that is why buying from guys like Elderly and FOTW is a good thing to do. I am still fussing with mine even after downloading pretty good set-up info onlne but I am no luthier. My motto has been to upgrade only when I can play well enough to notice the difference ...... :smile:
how well does the Rover hold tune?  and how would you describe the tone, overall?  would you consider it a good enough instrument to learn on and become and intermediate player?  just would like your overall opinion. if I get one, I'll have Elderly set it up for sure.

*** UPDATE ***

Got my first mandolin. It's a Kentucky KM350S.  Really nice A-style with flame maple on the back, sides, and back of the neck.  I'm pretty excited about learning to play. 

Just thought I'd let you mando players know that I'm in the fold now.

Congratulations, I think you'll be very happy with the 350S.  I think my Kentucky sounds and plays better than some much more expensive mandos.  Just be careful not to fall pray to evil scroll envy.
2007 Martin 000-28 Norman Blake
2006 Larrivee L-03WL
2004 Tacoma DM9
2004 Cordoba 30
1993 Stratocaster Deluxe Plus
1979 Les Paul Custom

Quote from: the_sound_of_acoustic_soul on November 03, 2006, 10:20:06 PM
the michael kellys seem pretty nice, but most have pickups, and i def. dont want a pickup in a mandolin.

There are plenty of MK mandos without pickups.

Get in touch with Dennis at The Mandolin Store and tell him what you are looking for.

http://themandolinstore.com/Scripts/default.asp

Jim

sound of acoustic soul:

The Mid-Mo M-4 (rosewood) is really sounding good but I have always liked A models (celtic sound) with an oval/round hole.  He has re-opened under the name of Big Muddy.  If you like instruments that are great sounding with "no frills" then this is it.

He waited for me to drive up to Missouri on the day that he closed down.  Also A/B'd it with a walnut.  I liked the rosewood better. 

There is a Weber Bridger calling my name as we speak.
Larry

<1 or 2 nice ones>

Quote from: ElJefe on March 01, 2007, 06:19:01 PM
sound of acoustic soul:

The Mid-Mo M-4 (rosewood) is really sounding good but I have always liked A models (celtic sound) with an oval/round hole.  He has re-opened under the name of Big Muddy.  If you like instruments that are great sounding with "no frills" then this is it.

He waited for me to drive up to Missouri on the day that he closed down.  Also A/B'd it with a walnut.  I liked the rosewood better. 

There is a Weber Bridger calling my name as week speak.
I'd love to have an A-style with the oval hole.  I really like the look and sound of them.  That'll be my next mandolin, whenever that will be.

WARNING.....WARNING.....WARNING.....WARNING.....WARNING.....WARNING.....
WARNING.....WARNING.....WARNING.....WARNING.....

BLANTANT SALES PITCH ATTACK......BLANTANT SALES PITCH ATTACK......BLANTANT SALES PITCH ATTACK......BLANTANT SALES PITCH ATTACK......
BLANTANT SALES PITCH ATTACK......BLANTANT SALES PITCH ATTACK......

the_sound_of_acoustic_soul  Call me I've got a 1920 and a 1921 for sale.

:wink:

A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I just bought a mandolin today.  It is a sunburst Tacoma M3.  A Tacoma dealer was trying to thin out his inventory so I picked up a few of his pieces, including the mandolin.  I have always wanted to pick it up, but I have never had the time to dedicate to it.  I know I don't have time now either, but maybe a new instrument will make me give it some time.  Anyway, that's what I'm hoping.  J

http://www.notableguitars.com
My guitars:

Larrivee OM-50
Fender Strat
Larrivee OM-03MT

Quote from: ElJefe on March 01, 2007, 06:19:01 PM
There is a Weber Bridger calling my name as we speak.

Hope it's not this one:

http://oldwithoutmoney.com/weber.jpg

- Richard
oldWithoutMoney.com

Larrivee L-09 (w/ non-cutout iMix)
Larrivee 00-19
Larrivee OM-0312R

plus a few other treasures

Quote from: guitarcrazy on March 01, 2007, 10:10:31 PM
I just bought a mandolin today.  It is a sunburst Tacoma M3.  A Tacoma dealer was trying to thin out his inventory so I picked up a few of his pieces, including the mandolin.  I have always wanted to pick it up, but I have never had the time to dedicate to it.  I know I don't have time now either, but maybe a new instrument will make me give it some time.  Anyway, that's what I'm hoping.  J

I just recently started playing myself and am having a blast. I cannot EVER remember having this much fun playing music.  The mandolin just makes more sense to me than the guitar ever has. 

Hope it's not this one:

http://oldwithoutmoney.com/weber.jpg

Thanks a lot Richard...now tears are forming in my eyes and I hear rumbling from deep inside.   :crying:

MAS might be worse than GAS.

Larry

<1 or 2 nice ones>

I just put my Eastman 605 mandolin for sale on mandolincafe.com this week.  MAS is over for me and GAS is comming on strong.  I am hoping to find a nice used OM-03.  :donut2 :donut

Quote from: ElJefe on March 04, 2007, 08:22:49 AM
MAS might be worse than GAS.

My own experience has been that MAS is more acute, and comes in waves (which may be years apart);
for me, GAS is chronic, and scarcely a week goes by without an episode.

Unless, of course, I refrain from all forum activity and musical web surfing. 
Paradoxically, the more I play, the less GAS I have.  Then again, I do own more than my fair share of (IMHO) exquisite instruments.
(Well, maybe not more than my fair share ...  :smile:).

- Richard
oldWithoutMoney.com

Larrivee L-09 (w/ non-cutout iMix)
Larrivee 00-19
Larrivee OM-0312R

plus a few other treasures