OK, WE love our Larrivees, what else do you play?

Started by DaveyO, September 13, 2013, 01:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don't want to hijack this thread, just one more post on the Takamine.

Rather than cut a new nut, I decided to first lower the strings at the nut and see how much that would take care of the playability issues. With the strings lower at the nut, it solved the problems of muting adjacent strings while fretting. And now it plays so much easier/better and in tune on those cowboy chords!

So I believe the problem is solved, and the nut looks much more professional now (since I also took off all the extra material so that the wounds strings are sitting around 50% in the nut and the B and E are about 80% in the nut. A little sanding with 600 and 1500 grit paper and it looks very good. New set of Martin SP phosphor bronze strings and it's sounding even better than before (I think it had D'Addario 80/20 bronze on it).

:thumb
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Here's a snippet of my 'other favorite guitar' my Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue where I'm noodling over a composition of a friend from Oz.

https://soundcloud.com/rockstar_not/tim-fatchen-ravensea-collab

For those wondering, the 'amp' is a Zoom G5 amp simulator/multi-fx pedal.  I don't remember which amp model it's simulating.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Nice clip - great playing!

:thumbsup

Quote from: Mikeymac on July 29, 2014, 09:29:48 AM
Nice clip - great playing!

:thumbsup

Thanks Mike!  I'm trying to see if there is a location where the whole song can be listened to - I'll check with my collaborator - if you are interested, send me a PM and I can get the link to you.

Edit:  Here's the link to the full song that you can stream but not download:  http://fawm.org/songs/35453/

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on August 06, 2014, 07:33:15 PM
Thanks Mike!  I'm trying to see if there is a location where the whole song can be listened to - I'll check with my collaborator - if you are interested, send me a PM and I can get the link to you.

Edit:  Here's the link to the full song that you can stream but not download:  http://fawm.org/songs/35453/

Thanks - Ill give it a listen soon.  :donut :coffee

Martin OM-28V, OM-18V, 00-18V, 000-17SM, Custom 0000-Hon/hog B&S - Californian Sinker Redwood top

Quote from: rockstar_not on July 28, 2014, 06:10:13 PM
Here's a snippet of my 'other favorite guitar' my Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue where I'm noodling over a composition of a friend from Oz.

For those wondering, the 'amp' is a Zoom G5 amp simulator/multi-fx pedal.  I don't remember which amp model it's simulating.

This is wonderful... can it be purchased?  keep up the good work and please share all of your work with us ...  BobW...   :+1:

Quote from: rockstar_not on July 28, 2014, 06:10:13 PM

great tone and tasteful playing.
thanks for sharing the music!
1975 Larrivee L style
2006 Larrivee OM-03 MQ
1967 Ovation Josh White signature, 12 fret, shiny bowl
yamaha fg450sa
washburn mg-70
line6 variax 300
Parker pm20 quilted bubinga
epi Thunderbird IV bass

I have been on a buying frenzy...

Conant SS Carpathian/RW, Pono 000-DC (deluxe cutaway) cedar/acacia, Eastman AC 622c Eng/FM...

I love all my Larrivées but my Huss & Dalton CM (Eng/RW) produces an almost heavenly tone, so full and rich... it blankets you with it's lovely tone that you do not want it to stop...

The variety of tonewoods and the tones produced by the various combinations is fantastic....

Quote from: bobw on September 03, 2014, 10:11:24 AM
I have been on a buying frenzy...

I think your wife is quite fair to agree with the "no less than three guitars" limit imposed on you.   :thumb
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: broKen on September 03, 2014, 11:35:03 AM

I think your wife is quite fair to agree with the "no less than three guitars" limit imposed on you.   :thumb

My excuse... I never learned to count  :humour:  ...or... I thought she meant 3 of one kind...   :whistling:   and I only have 3 Larrivées...  so I think I'm good, right???  :wink:

I try to keep them hid in the closet when I'm not playing them but the closet is very crowded right now...  :winkin:

Actually, I will be cutting back starting early next year....  she is right and 3..... or maybe 4 is enough...  really gassing for an archtop now...

I do have the most wonderful and understanding wife  :+1:  and today we are celebrating our 35th Anniversary...   :nanadance  :nanadance  :nanadance

BobW...

Quote from: bobw on September 03, 2014, 04:14:21 PM

I do have the most wonderful and understanding wife  :+1:  and today we are celebrating our 35th Anniversary...   :nanadance  :nanadance  :nanadance

BobW...

That's quite a milestone - congratulations (we're moving toward 32 years...).

You could celebrate by having her buy you an anniversary present with 6-strings...  :whistling:

Quote from: Mikeymac on September 04, 2014, 09:41:32 AM

You could celebrate by having her buy you an anniversary present with 6-strings...  :whistling:

Congrats.  We just had our 42nd on Sept. 1.  I too have a very wonderful and understanding wife.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on September 04, 2014, 09:12:43 PM
Congrats.  We just had our 42nd on Sept. 1.  I too have a very wonderful and understanding wife.

WOW... 42...  I hope to hang in there for a few more years... I'm a young 68 (mentally) but would love to celebrate our 50th ...  83 ain't that old... now is it...???

Quote from: Mikeymac on September 04, 2014, 09:41:32 AM

She asked me to help her off of the floor when she stops laughing hysterically....  she's certain you were joking???  women... go figure!!!!  but I love her....

Quote from: bobw on September 04, 2014, 09:44:13 PM
WOW... 42...  I hope to hang in there for a few more years... I'm a young 68 (mentally) but would love to celebrate our 50th ...  83 ain't that old... now is it...???

She asked me to help her off of the floor when she stops laughing hysterically....  she's certain you were joking???  women... go figure!!!!  but I love her....

Nah, 83 isn't that old.  We were very young when we got married.  We'll be 69 when we hit our 50th.  I just showed your last post to my wife and she is laughing now too.  In truth, she doesn't know how many guitars I have right now, not off the top of her head anyways.  (Happens to be 6 acoustics and 5 electrics).  It's not that I keep it hidden from her, just that she hasn't bothered to count lately.  I get this look a lot:  :rolleye:

I also have 3 "project" guitars that I am working on and will probably sell, but you never know if one or more might turn out to be "keepers".   :whistling:
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: photodork on September 03, 2014, 10:02:39 AM

great tone and tasteful playing.
thanks for sharing the music!

Hey, thank you.  Total outlay for the entire rig is under $700 - and I paid significantly less than that.  That's one reason I think that you can get great tone and playability in electrics for far less than in acoustic guitar world.  I absolutely love that Epiphone, it's a steal - and the Zoom G5 is quite fun as well, and anyone who says that they can hear 'digital artifacts' or some other comment like that, I think they are blowing smoke.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

I love my Larrivee L03,Also have a Strat ,American made stain finish,with a small Vox tube amp ,that is very fun to play.Also have a Composite Acoustics Cargo,that goes on trips with me.I have recently played a couple new Martin HD-28s that were very sweet ,,and that bass,my gosh they sounded good! I wish a Larrivee dealer was closer to me so i could play some of the higher end models.To hear how they compare to the HD28.For the price of the Martin I'm sure I could have a real nice Larrivee.Ill have to check into this further,any comments?javascript:void(0);javascript:void(0);javascript:void(0);
Larrivee L-03 SP

Electric guitar wise... My current favorite in the herd is my D'Angelico custom built New Yorker NYSSB. She's like an ES335 on steroids!
"Guitars are meant to be played not dis-played."

Hi USNavySeniorChief,

That D'Angelico looks just stunning and it just cries out to be played.

Quote from: USNavySeniorChief on March 07, 2015, 04:23:48 AM
Electric guitar wise... My current favorite in the herd is my D'Angelico custom built New Yorker NYSSB. She's like an ES335 on steroids!

Quote from: ST on March 07, 2015, 05:06:06 AM

That D'Angelico looks just stunning and it just cries out to be played.

:+1:  Would luv to giver a go for a weekend. Beautiful looking guitar!!!
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)