Lakewood Guitar's

Started by unclrob, March 18, 2004, 11:50:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi kid's I just offered Lakewood guitars and was looking for opinion's.
I found them to be nice enough guitars but very pricey.I can sell 2 Larrivee's  in satin finish for what it would cost me to one Lakewood in satin finish,I wasn't impressed with there satin finish.
Let me know guy's and doll's. :ph34r:  
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I am a big fan of Lakewood guitars.  I know that at some point I will own a Lakewood M-32 or J-50.  I think that they are an excellent value when considered they are truly a small operation.  I don't know the numbers they produce each year but they probably aren't anywhere near Larrivees numbers.  Also all guitars are built to order so prices don't start taking huge jumps when you want to customize things here and there.  

UncleRob,
I had the chance to play some Lakewoods for the first time at the recent show in Orlando.  I found them very nice, but not quite my style.  A lot of people like them, and they are a true small operation builder.  Roughly 10 people total, about the same as Goodall.  I am told they produce about 400 guitars per year.
Sort of mid-priced for a small builder.
ricks

Goodall
Martin
Collings
Larrivee

I own an M-22 DX walnut, gloss finish. A beautifully made and sounding guitar. Really loud for a small bodied guitar not thin nor tinny , it has plenty of bass but not overpowering. The highs are very defined, I find the tone balanced. It does have a fat neck and therefore it is not the easiest of my acoustics to play. The walnut is very light in color and the spruce top is almost the same cafe au lait shade. It has what appears to be flame maple binding top and bottom and is a `97, made before they switched to th UV finish, it has lacquer. The gradation of the color in the walnut changes to a yellowish color towards the cenetr of the back where the 2 pieces are joined. Very unique and easily identifiable if stolen. There are no markings on the fretboard, none. Side position markers only but it`s not a problem for me. Lovely abalone Lakewood inly on the squared headstock, very Martinesque. 44 mm`s at the nut. Tremendous attention to detail and exqusitely made. I absolutley love mine and would buy another.

Love my Larrivees just as much... needed to say that.

I too was "this close" to buying an MJC over at Shoreline Music.  I thought the price was fair.  The guitars are truly quality built--but, you are right unclrob, you can just about get two Larrivee's (used) for one, and I will go Larr. for that!! every time!

naboz

I have a Lakewood M-14 cutaway (cedar on mahogany). It was my first high-end guitar and I love it to bits. The quality of the workmanship is very high and it has a wonderful tone that suits most styles of playing. Surprisingly it holds up well to flatpicking, something I did not expect from a cedar-topped, grand concert-sized guitar.

Orsino and I were discussing Lakewood vs. Larrivée a few days ago, and I thought that Lakewood was the European equivalent of Larrivée. If so, Larrivée must be making some pretty fine instruments and Lord knows how they keep their prices so low. Economies of scale I guess. Larriveés are pretty hard to come by over here in Europe (I've seen about two and that was at at festival) so it makes much more sense to go with a builder like Lakewood.

I've had the good fortune of meeting Martin Seeliger of Lakewood and had a good talk with him. He did say how many guitars he shifts per year but I can't remember what he said - it wasn't high though, in the region of 400 sounds about right.

For those who are able to try a Lakewood, I seriously urge you to do so. The M-32 seems to be the most popular (spruce on Indian rosewood) and comes with a few upgrades such as gold tuners. It terms of value, I think they're making some of the best value guitars on the market. Like Larrivée, they don't make dogs.

I have plenty of pictures and recordings of my Lakewood on my site if anyone's interested in having a look. Check out the Open Strings Festival pics too where you'll see plenty more, including a great looking M-50 (spruce on maple).

My Guitars Page

Cams

Martin Seeliger of Lakewood builds about 1000 guitars a year. A very different guitar than a Larrivee. Not only am I a dealer, but I will be an owner of one shortly. And I'm not really one to have numerous guitars in the stable!

Thanks gang for the input but I have since passed on them. :)  
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

QuoteMartin Seeliger of Lakewood builds about 1000 guitars a year. A very different guitar than a Larrivee. Not only am I a dealer, but I will be an owner of one shortly. And I'm not really one to have numerous guitars in the stable!
Cool. I didn't know you were a dealer too - you got some nice M-54s on your site! I tried one of them at the festival and liked it ever so much. The D-54 wasn't too shabby either!

another plus regarding these instruments is the nominal upcharge for customization.......I understand it is MUCH lower than most makers
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Loriente Clarita EIR/Euro spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"