Must share my excitement... New addition

Started by AcousTronic, June 08, 2005, 04:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well, today my new studio reaches another steping stone towards it's completion... After several months of recording gear acquisition, I am recieving a Tacoma (pre-Fender) Acoustic Bass. The Thunderchief CB10E3 to be exact, with the L.R. Baggs electronics.

I currently have many acoustic guitars, keyboards, interface, mics, quality drum loop programs and samples, mic preamps, and most importantly, complete songs to record, etc. But I was missing a VERY important part of the overall sound... BASS!!  I played a bunch of acoustic basses but none sounded anything like the Tacoma... Found a great deal on the Net, and so the UPS guy should be here any minute.

I just thought I'd share that with the class  :mellow:

Great news!!

There is nothing like a good mix of different instruments to round out your sound. When can we expect a clip?
Ron

One of the local players I jam with has a Tacoma acoustic bass. You're right, its a terrific package.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

I always wanted one of those, but never could bring myself to pull the trigger. Good luck and enjoy!

Andy
Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple

Sounds like a good choice. I get lost in a hurry when looking at anything other than six string flat tops but would like someday to learn some bass and mandolin.

Quote from: ronmac on June 08, 2005, 05:17:39 PM

When can we expect a clip?

Very soon, but not as soon as previously expected...

Update on the bass... It arrived at 7:30 last night, with a nice big hole in the box. After opening the case, I realized that the headstock was snapped!! I was not real happy, and feared what I might say if I got the UPS people on the phone. So, my wife called them for me and scheduled an inspector to come by on Friday. It was insured, and thanks to a little research another forum, I know what I have to do to get UPS to move quickly. Today, I am going to run by the local Tacoma dealer who also happens to be a pretty good luthier and friend of mine, and find out the cost of replacing the neck.

The nice thing about Tacoma in a situation like this is the bolt on neck design. It should be relatively easy to have Tacoma overnight a neck to my guy and be up and running in the next few days. But it's just a real pain in the rear to not have what I paid for, right now.

bummer.  !

It sounds like you know what to do to get everything rectified, but I'm sure you'd rather be playing right now.  :EM>
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Sorry to hear about the handling mishap, but congrats on the Thunderchief nonetheless.

I've always been curious about this type of acoustic bass. Have you ever seen Taylor's line of acoustic bass guitars? Like their regular acoustic guitars, They use some types of wood that I've never heard of before. I think they're discontinued, though.
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

Quote from: kwakatak on June 10, 2005, 01:26:51 PM
Have you ever seen Taylor's line of acoustic bass guitars? Like their regular acoustic guitars, They use some types of wood that I've never heard of before. I think they're discontinued, though.

I have seen but not played Taylor's AB series of basses, I drool over the AB-2, but at $3,000 I doubt one would ever end up in my toy box. They are suposed to sound incredible, but for the money the Tacoma can hold it's own against the Taylor for a 1/3 of the price. At least that's what many of the reviews said...

UPDATE: The Thunderchief went back to UPS inspection today, then it goes back to the seller who is going to reimburse me tomorrow. Since he took out the insurance, he gets the claim money. So it looks like UPS is buying his bass and not me. Such a shame too because it was in mint condition and obviously was well taken care of, not one ding or scratch. I have since began looking for other Tacoma basses and it is becoming difficult to find because the factory has stopped making them and no new ones will be available until end of July, and I am afraid how much Fender's fingerprint will be on the new ones as they recent acquired Tacoma. Anyone remember Guild? UGH!  I think I'm going to go bass shopping this weekend but will have to settle for electric for now so I can at least lay tracks. For the studio it may be the better way to go anyhow... For now