Any Jayhawks Fans Here?

Started by Caleb, March 14, 2005, 12:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

i just go into them a while back and really like what i hear. i bought smile and have recently started listening to rainy day music. good acoustic based stuff. i also like the old tube amp sounds from the dirty, yet simple electric guitar licks. good stuff. anyone else like them?

I first heard them probably 10 years ago, and have been listening to them ever since.  Rainy Day Music is probably my favorite, although all of their albums are good.  Great guitars and harmonies.  

Zach

I just saw them (Olson and Louris) in concert a month ago.  It was their first show back together since departing 10(?) years ago.  Great show!  They played a lot of stuff off of Hollywood Town Hall and Tomorrow The Green Grass.  Small venue  -  about 200 people.  Their music is very easy to play and has some great licks.

I really like them as welll.  I also like the "supergroup" they formed with some other folks called Golden Smog.  Great musicians in the Jayhawks, and good songwriters.  I like "Tampa to Tulsa" and "Waiting for the Sun" the best.  J
http://www.notableguitars.com
My guitars:

Larrivee OM-50
Fender Strat
Larrivee OM-03MT

Have almost all of their cds including Rainy Day Music. Other than Tomorrow The Green Grass(I think their best album), Its one of my favorites. Had a chance to see them with Victoria Williams, Soul asylum, and Mathew Sweet a few years back. What a great show. Was interested to see Mark Olson touring with Gary again-is Jayhawks reunion in the works. One of the songs working on for open mike is Save It for a rainy day. Patrick
CA Bluegrass Performer, Larrivee D-02 (sapele),  Martin LXK2 \"If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane"

QuoteOne of the songs working on for open mike is Save It for a rainy day. Patrick
great song.  the best on the album imo.  

Quoteanyone else like them?
Wish I like 'em more than I do, but my old bandmate Stephen McCarthy plays with them a lot these days so they get high marks for that alone.  Frankly, I think he's the strongest singer, writer, and player in the band.

Speaking of Golden Smog, I saw one of the former members do a solo show last week.  It was Jeff Tweedy at the Vic theater on 3-5-05.  For just good old guitar and voice singer songwriters, he sure is amazing.  His stuff with WILCO is also fantastic.

Dan

glad to see so many fans here. im a bit ignorant of the history of the band. i didn't know tweedy was a former member. ive never heard any wilco tunes, but here that theyre good (thats a weird sentence, isnt is?). i'll keep my eyes peeled in the used cd store for some of their stuff. any recommendations for a first timer?

Jeff Tweedy was the driving force behind Wilco (great tunes, very raw and real-sounding).  Golden Smog was a pseudo-band made up of members of other successful bands.  I'll paste a little bio I found on the Golden Smog "Weird Tales" webpage.  Golden Smog has some good tunes, not quite as commercially acceptable as the Jayhawks, but good, honest music.  Their EP only has 5 songs, mostly covers, but it is worth having.  I picked it up on ebay for a buck!  Weird Tales is worth having also.  If you like the Jayhawks, you may like other alt-country stuff like Ryan Adams, WhiskeyTown, Gillian Welch, Victoria Williams, Billy Bragg, and Iris Dement.  These are a lot of the artists I listen to nowadays.  Jason

"Golden Smog's roster includes Kraig Johnson (Run Westy Run), Gary Louris (The Jayhawks), Dan Murphy (Soul Asylum), Marc Perlman (The Jayhawks), Jody Stephens (Big Star) and Jeff Tweedy (Wilco). As Gary Louris puts it, "Some guys go on hunting trips or golf outings or do something to show how much they love each other without actually having to talk about it. This is our way of doing that."
My guitars:

Larrivee OM-50
Fender Strat
Larrivee OM-03MT

QuoteJeff Tweedy was the driving force behind Wilco (great tunes, very raw and real-sounding).  Golden Smog was a pseudo-band made up of members of other successful bands.  I'll paste a little bio I found on the Golden Smog "Weird Tales" webpage.  Golden Smog has some good tunes, not quite as commercially acceptable as the Jayhawks, but good, honest music.  Their EP only has 5 songs, mostly covers, but it is worth having.  I picked it up on ebay for a buck!  Weird Tales is worth having also.  If you like the Jayhawks, you may like other alt-country stuff like Ryan Adams, WhiskeyTown, Gillian Welch, Victoria Williams, Billy Bragg, and Iris Dement.  These are a lot of the artists I listen to nowadays.  Jason

"Golden Smog's roster includes Kraig Johnson (Run Westy Run), Gary Louris (The Jayhawks), Dan Murphy (Soul Asylum), Marc Perlman (The Jayhawks), Jody Stephens (Big Star) and Jeff Tweedy (Wilco). As Gary Louris puts it, "Some guys go on hunting trips or golf outings or do something to show how much they love each other without actually having to talk about it. This is our way of doing that."
so, is tweedy no longer with wilco? is wilco no more? what cds do you recommend from wilco?

btw, i like ryan adams, but find his attitude about most things really annoying. i stopped going to his website because of his obnoxiousness. it just bugs me. he's a brilliant songwriter though.  

Tweedy is still in Wilco.  With all their lineup changes, he and the bass player are the only 2 original members left.  I saw them in Memphis about a month ago,  and it was a great show.

Wilco is one of my favorite bands, but every album sounds almost completely different.  If you're looking for alt country, AM and Being There are the ones you'll probably want.  If you want the new, more experimental Wilco, check out Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and/or A Ghost is Born.  I also really like the DVD 'I Am Trying to Break Your Heart'.

Other bands?  Whiskeytown, Son Volt, Collin Herring, Lucero, Old 97s, Uncle Tupelo, etc.  Check out www.milesofmusic.com for a lot of different bands and mp3 samples.

Zach

I'll second the Old 97's and Uncle Tupelo also.  Great music.  J
My guitars:

Larrivee OM-50
Fender Strat
Larrivee OM-03MT

old 97s are great. any of you have rhett millers solo cd? pretty good stuff. whiskeytown had a hit a few years ago (16 days), but thats the only song ive ever heard from them.