L-05 For A New Larrivee Fan

Started by slowhand61, February 10, 2004, 01:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi everybody, I would like to introduce myself by saying that this is my first post in this forum and I'm not a Larrivee's owner.

I own other guitars brand and I'm recently drawn to the Larrivees as well; unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to play them a lot, because I do not have a dealer nearby where I live.

I played an OMV-09 (maybe), I remeber it was an OM w/cutway in EIR and was really impressed.

I'm looking for feed-backs upon an L-05 and an LV-05 in mahogany, since I'm pretty much covered within the EIR compartment.

How does this model plays ? What's the differences between the regular L and its cutway's sibling ?

Thanks in advance for your feed-back ..  

I'm sorry ... forgot to add .... How much do they go for ? what's the best discount you can get around over a new one ?

Thanks !

Welcome to the show.
I own an L05 very nice all around responce.
I've played the LV05 it's the same as above but with a cutaway.I'm not into cutaway's myself but again a very nice all around responce.
I know ther are other tread's on this subject but hopefully cutaway owner's will chime in and give there feeling's.
Again thanks for coming in. B)  
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I purchased an L-05 from GuitarAdoptions.com recently for $1099 w/ case. I was able to sample 2 local Larrivees, an L-03R and an LV-09. I liked the sound of the L-03R better than the LV-09. I think the cutaway took away from the big sound, but man did the LV-09 look better.

So, knowing I wouldn't be able to afford another nice guitar for awhile (and couldn't afford an LV-09 anyway) - and wanting a guitar with a gloss finish, I compromised for the L-05. I went round-n-round over whether to get the L-05 or the L-09, both non-cutaway. From what I've read, the general consensus is that the soundboard is much more influential on the guitar's sound than the back/sides, so I went with the less expensive L-05. The cutaway for my style is unnecessary, and I think it removes the boominess somewhat - even though everything I've read mentions that the upper region of the guitar is more influential on the treble in a guitar's sound. I think the loss of sound is derived more from the added rigidity in the guitar from the cutaway design, but I am definitely no luthier.

I'm very happy with this guitar. Plus the mahogany neck matches the mahogany body, which I think is cool.

If you resell your guitars, you might want the cutaway, as I think they're more dazzling to look at. But if you're looking for a keeper, I'd stay away from it.

-cf

I asked Matthew Larrive the following question...

4-Does the cutaway in the L make any difference in tone?

His reply below is cut and pasted from his email back to me...

4) Yes and No. I personally don't notice a difference - but since each
guitar is hand built, each is going to sound slightly different.

I thnk the LV-05 is my next guitar.

Mike <><

Hi Slowhand.  I really like the L-body's, and the 05 series is very nice.  I am getting one delivered tomorrow for inventory, call or email and I will give you more info re/ specs, pricing, etc.  Welcome to the forum.  Jason.  
http://www.notableguitars.com
My guitars:

Larrivee OM-50
Fender Strat
Larrivee OM-03MT

Slowhand, I don't thing you could go wrong on any L-body.  I have had my LV-05 for just over a year, and wouldn't trade it for anything.  Quality material, workmanship, 1 3/4 nut (important to me), ebony fretboard, gorgeous sound - you name it.

I spent many months researching in the AG forum and playing various similar body styles at the local GC and Sams before I decided on the LV-05.  The only local shop than had Larrivee guitars was the local GC, and they were selling the last of their Larrivee stock.  They had an OM that I liked, plus I really liked the Taylor 314 and a Martin 000 slothead.  I basically liked the OM better than both the Taylor and Martin, and the day I went to buy it, it was gone.  After that, I basically leaned toward the L-body based on all the positive press it received in the AG forum.  I purchased an LV-05 'blem' from EM Shorts for 1k, and I couldn't be happier.  I still do not know what they considered a flaw, maybe something minor in the finish.  But it has been a great instrument from day one...