My First Lesson Today!

Started by wyodeb, January 13, 2004, 09:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Took lessons years(!!) ago. Decided to work harder on fingerstyle guitar, and nothing inspires me to practice better than the thought of going to a lesson unprepared. Found a great teacher. Should be fun! He likes Simon & Garfunkel & Gordon Lightfoot, too!!

My teacher fell in love with my guitar, had never seen a Larrivee before. I didn't think he was going to give it back! He plays a Tanara.

I'm excited! After years of paying for piano & flute lessons for the kids (and reminding them to practice), I'm finally doing something for myself.
:D Deb :D
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R

Deb,
Congratulations on your new venture.
I took lessons for 1 1/2 years from a great teacher.
I left because I felt like I needed a break, just to absorb all that he had taught me.
I've gone back, but it's not the same. I've even tried a couple of other instructors and it's not the same. I just haven't been able to get on track. I took a lesson from a guy in Edmonton, Alberta once this last year when I was there on business. Him I could have continued with. Go Figure.
Anyway, I'm looking.
Again, good luck. It should be fun.
Barry.

I took lessons for a few months when I was reaaaaallllly green with the guitar.  I too decided to take a break also to absorb the information (my lessons were 1/2 hr every week) and because I had a lack of time and funding to finance the lessons.  I have also been using emedia's program (which has helped) to help learn playing the guitar....  I want to get back into taking lessons but financially it isn't an option right now.  Any suggestions out there?  Has anyone tried the intermediate emedia program?  Like Deb I am leaning toward fingerstyle and I really enjoy playing that way.  Am going to keep my eyes open in the future for a 00 to pick up.  I am also having John Standefer come to my church (he won 2002 national fingerstyle guitar championship) to give a workshop.  Check out his website.  I ordered his video Phase II which seems to be pretty good.

http://www.praiseguitar.com/index.html
Mike Jones

Larrivee D-03R
K&K Pure Western P/U
Seagull S 12+
Ultrasound Ag30P
ESP EC 100-QM
Webstrings Lights

When I was ready to receive a lot of instruction compressed into a short period of time that I spent weeks afterwards working on to absorb, I started to go to occasional workshops or one-on one lessons with really good instructors (and preserving every second with a cassette or MD player). I've studied at IGS with the guy who must be among the best fingerstyle (and swing and blues) instructors in WY: Mike Dowling. No exaggeration. Look him upand contact him:  http://www.mikedowling.com/

I also get a lot from the videos and dvds marketed by Happy Traum and Stefan Grossman. One has to be selective.

The thing that I am missing is playing with other (and hopefully better) guitarists. I haven't come out of my shell, but I know that when I do I'll enjoy it and make big improvements.  

Hi

I've been playing for over thirty years (I can't believe I'm getting so old!),  I took lessons years ago to get the basics down, but now I buy the occassional book/dvd or video featuring my favorite artist.  It's a real 'hit or miss" situation. Some of the products are quite good but others...well, not so good.

Over the years, the best "instruction" has happened by chance...for example, an off-hand remark at a party many years ago resulted in a very pretty young lady showing me some great Led Zepplin and Neil Young songs.

The key is to keep your mind and your ears open.  You never know when you'll run across an opportunity to learn something new.

Gary