A Couple Questions Before I Buy,...

Started by sinnerx96, October 08, 2003, 04:11:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I hope you guys dont mind my posting of constant updates.  I just need to vent and share my experiences.  Anyway,...
Day 2
I grabbed a set of D'Addario Medium Phosphor Bronze and put them on the Larrivee.  I noticed an increase in body and volume, but it lost a bit of that "Sweetnes".  This guitar is definitely Not bright.  It is full sounding, and the low end almost overpowers the highs at times when fingerpicking.  I am beginning to realize that I am having a very difficult time with the wider string spacing.  When comparing to my Taylor 110, I make alot more mistakes and my left hand gets tired quicker.  It feels like the Larrivee is stiffer and my fingers have to push down the string harder.  The Taylor is just easier for me to play.  It feels like the strings are bigger and tighter on the Larrivee.  But the Taylor has Elixer Nano Webs that are the same guage as the D'Addario's.  I hope a Set-Up can fix this.  And maybe I'll try Light-Medium strings before going back to the Lights.  Overall, the Larrivee sounds Great!  But I am having difficulty with it's playability.  But that might just be because it needs a set-up and lighter strings.  I hope.  I've been getting the feeling that I should sell it to buy a D-05.  But I want to wait a bit and see how things go.  Any comments are welcome.

Here are my thoughts for whatever they're worth.

Hang in there with the 1-3/4 neck.  I'm totally used to it and whenever I play my sons Taylor Big Baby, I have trouble with the 1-11/16th.  You will get used to it and it will probably strengthen your hand overall in the process.  Set up is key so definately look into that.  Find a guitar you like and feel comfortable playing and ask the tech to duplicate that.  Make sure it is a Larrivee with a 1-3/4 neck though.  Go back to lights and experiment with different strings.  I really like the new Dean Markley Alchemy Gold Phos custom lights lately.  They are coated but don't feel like it at all.  They last a long time and many outstanding guitarists are giving them excellent reviews.  But of course, your mileage may vary.  http://www.deanmarkley.com/htmlDocs/AlchMa...#alchemystrings

Keep us posted.

All the best,
Mike <><

Hey, I know how you are feeling about the wider 1 3/4 neck, I went through the exact same experience about a year ago.  But believe me, you will adjust to the different feel with time (it may take several weeks even, depending on how much you play) and find the smaller 1 11/16 too hard to play.  I will never get another smaller neck guitar after having playing the wider neck.  Fingerpicking is easier, and also flat picking... but at first I had a lot of buzzing and rattling happening because I was just not striking/picking the strings just dead on.  You will overcome this... trust me!!!

Congrats again on purchasing a GREAT guitar!!!

NewStrings
Lord of the STRINGS * Kronbauer TDK *  Taylor 614ce  *  Larrivee LV-03RE  *  Taylor 810ce  *  Martin D-18 Custom  *  Gibson ES - Les Paul  *  Gibson J-45  *  Fender Telecaster  *  Jason Romero banjo  *   National Estralita Resonator * Muth mandolin

Thanks for the responces.  I just put som Dean Markley Alchemy Custom Lights on the OM-05.  I'm starting to wonder what's going wrong.  I m having a really hard time playing the OM.  My right hand is not having a problem at all.  It can adjust between the 1 11/16 nut of the Taylor and the 1 3/4 nut of the Larrivee just fine.  My problem is with my left hand.  My left hand and fingers are Really sore after playing the OM for a short period of time, and I have to stop regularly.  The tension just seams WAY too high.  And on top of that, I'm also having a hard time hitting hammer-ons and such with my left hand.  I just keep missing the strings.  This all pertains to fingerpicking only, by the way.  I have been playing the OM ALOT since I got it, thinking that I will grow into the wider string spacing, and eventually see the benefit of it for fingerpicking.  But it's just not happening.  When I play the Tayor, I dont make mistakes, and it's so easy to play.  I dont think this is a difference between manufaturers, just the string spacing, because when I played a D-03, it played Just as easy as the Taylor 110.  But I'll hang in there for a little while longer and see how it goes.  Otherwise, the D-05 might be something to concider.

make sure you bring the guitar to someone to set it up.check to see if a wrap may have developed.also check the action.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Unclob:

What's a "wrap"?

Sinnnerx96 - sounds like a good luthier/tech is in order at this point.  Check the nut as well.  Perhaps that's too high???

Let us know how you make out.
Mike <><

Yeah, what's a wrap?  I am getting used to the string spacing.  Now the only thing bothering me is the "Stiffnes".  It's probably the action.  My question is, would it be safe for me to set-up my guitar by myself, if I follow procedures on a web site such as frets.com?  There's really no good luthiers around my area that I know about.  And I'm not to thrilled about giving my guitar to Sam Ash or Guitar Center and keeping my fingers crossed.  I would just need the Larrivee Truss-Rod, cause it didnt come with my guitar.

You should have recieved the wrench as all new Larrivee guitar come with them.  I would contact your dealer and/or Larrivee and request one.

Glad to hear you are making progress with the string spacing.  There are many folks that feel comfortable adjusting the neck themselves and unless you turn the truss rod too much, I think more than 3/4 of a turn, you will not hurt your guitar.  Howver I'm not a tech and I personally would consult a credible source.  Heck, I would get my guitar ready and call Larrivee and have them walk me through it over the phone.  But that's just me.  I bet Matthew would help you out...he really seems to care about his customers.

That's a "wrap", no wait...what the heck is a "wrap" Unclrob????

Keep us posted.
Mike
Mike <><

Another thing to remember about Larrivees is that they have a fairly large fretboard radius - which results in a slightly flatter, wider neck.  The OM has a compund radius varying from 17" to 21".  In contrast, Guild guitars generally have a 12" radius.  That might be having an impact on your adjustment as well - but that radius makes them extra good fingerstyle guitars.

Ken

sorry guy's my spelling sucks even more when I'm sick I ment to say warp.If you can't find a place to get get a truss rod tool let me know I might have a couple floating around here.no charge just let me know.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Thanks Unclrob, I appreciate that!  I brought my guitar to a place near me that does amps and guitars.  I spoke with the guitar repairman/luthier about my Larrivee.  He complimented it a few times on its beauty.  He seamed to know what he was talking about.  We found that there was too much relief in the neck.  And the cause for the buzzing on the 11th fret on the High E string was because the fretboard has a slight upward curve toward the end where it meats the body.  And he said the saddle might need some trimming to get the action to where I want.  He said he could fix it by filing the frets that needed it, but warned that it would cost more.  So I told him that I could live with the 11th fret buz for now, and I might bring it back eventually to get done.  He also made sure that he could deal without the Larrivee truss-rod.  He detuned the strings and checked with a mirror, then used a normal trus-rod wrench.  He said it would be a bit more difficult, but he could deal with it.  I told him to put the Elixir Nano Lights back on.  To be honest, after going from the Nano's, to D'Addario Phospher Bronze Med, then to Alchemy CL's,...I remember the Nano's giving me the best impression for some reason.  So rather then wonder why I prefer the Nano's, cause I usually dont, I'm just gonna go with my first impressions.  Anyway,...the OM-05 will be ready Friday afternoon, and I cant wait!

sinnerx96 Glad everthing is working out.If you find you want the truss rod tool just email me thru the forum with your mailing address and I'll get one out to you.ENJOY.Lets us know how it goes after you get the guitar back. :D  
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Well,...I got the OM back today(early).  All I can say is WOW!  I will never underestimate a good set up again!  This thing plays like a Dream.  The Tone even got more musical, but that's probably just because of better dynamics on my part, due to the better feel of the guitar now.  I have lost any thought I had in the past that I need a dread as well.  This thing is really shocking in the low end.  I was thinking about keeping the Taylor 110 or even upgrading to the 310, but after playing the OM side by side for a while,...there's really not much where I'd prefer it over the OM.  I cant get over how Musical and Lush the mid range is.  The low end is warm and smooth, and the top is shimmery and strong.  Great balance, great feel, great guitar.  I am very excited to put her to work in my studio.  Her name is "Kristana" by the way  :D The only thing I have to nit-pick about is the buzzing on the 11th fret of the high E.  But that will be easily fixed soon enough with a small fret job.  Another thing I noticed since I put the Dean Markley Alchemy CL's on, is there's a resonant frequency when I hit the open G string, or play the 5th fret of the D string.  When I fingerpick those 2 notes, it sounds "Boxy" and I feel the guitar vibrate a tad bit more.  But that didnt happen with the other sets of strings that've been on her.  Anyway,...This guitar has blown my expectations away, and I expected Alot.  My Hat's off to Larrivee and the folks on this forum for listening to me rant and helping out.  If the rules of the forum allow,...I would like to post a clip of a song that will be recorded with the OM shortly.  Thanks Again.

Please post a clip as soon as possible.  We would all love to hear it!

Zach

Zach

OK.  I should have one up within a couple days  :)  
By the way,...have any of you guys had any experience with replacing the Tusq saddle with Bone?  I keep hearing people swearing it's the best thing since sliced bread.  But I have yet to find a definitive answer on how it will effect the tone.

I had a bone saddle made for my L-09 which is 'fully compensated'. The compensation effects the B and E strings. I haven't put it on yet, but I will be doing so when my Breedlove comes in. I will try to post here if I remember.

I think my L-09 needs a setup as well. Actually, I don't know what it needs because the only thing wrong with it is that Bm is a little hard to play. However, when you capo 1 and play Bm it gets easier.  So my guess is that it just needs a small adjustment around the 1-4 frets. This guitar will be my workhorse for leading worship on Friday nights, teaching lessons on Thursday (although I'd rather go get a used D-03 for this purpose) and practicing every night.  
2003 Breedlove SC20 Coco/Sitka (Nov 26 delivery)
Bone nut and saddle
Schaller nickel tuners
Ebony tuner buttons
L.R. Baggs Dual Element

2003 Larrivée OM-03R: SOLD

2003 Larrivée L-09: SOLD

sinnerx96 I've never really was into bone saddles until I installed a bunch and notice the diff in tonal responce.As for compensated or not I've have not been installing comp ones because most guitars don't need them as far as I can tell.There are lots of threads inside threads on the effect of bone saddles.Don't worry about the nut but yes put in a bone saddle. B)  
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Thanks.  From what I've found, people say it seams to increase sustain and string definition/clarity.  Is that right?  Maybe I'll try one out.