Satin to Gloss

Started by Rescon, January 09, 2006, 10:55:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Actually, thats reasonable.  No warrantee on the finish only.

Makes sense.  I have no problem with that.
Peter
creestudios.com
Art Guitars and more

Quote from: Peter Cree on January 18, 2006, 08:37:10 AM
Actually, thats reasonable.  No warrantee on the finish only.

Makes sense.  I have no problem with that.

Makes since.  The warm fuzzies are back.
Lew

Butt...of course;  :rolleyes:
I alter that part of the guitar, the warranty no longer covers that part of the guitar. Yep.
Much ado about nothing (much).

I am considering glossing my parlor.  Can someone direct me to the detailed instructions - I don't see them in the FAQ section and Tommy Young's like doesn't work.

Thanks!

QuoteSo they have confirmed that the only part of the warranty that is voided is the warranty on the finish, right?  So if I need a neck reset on my OM-03R in 20-30 years, it's covered?  If the bridge pops off for no reason, it's covered?

That's how I'd read it.  On the other hand, if I gloss the guitar and it develops a crack, a brace pops loose or binding becomes separated. . . .those things could conceivable be interpreted as relating to the physical effort in altering the finish.  I might assume that warranty repair issues on a Larrivee guitar with an altered finish might be scrutinized a little more than one which has not been altered.  That's just me thinking outloud.

QuoteHow's your OM-03R BTW?  I know you like the 12 string version.  Wondered if you got your 6

I did get it.  But, circumstances were such that I spent enough time with it to know the frets were a little high and sharp at the edges.  No big deal.  A week after I got it I had occasion to meet my sister in Duluth.  My luthier (Jean Paul Emery - Emery Guitars in Britt, MN), lives about half way in between.  Perfect@!!   I dropped the guitar off to him for a setup, fret dressing and string change. 

What I heard of the guitar with somewhat ratty (still useable & ok) Elixir Nano's - probably the original strings on a 2004 guitar@!! - was VERY good.  It's low end is more balanced than my 000-15S Martin but just as lovely in its own way: it's plenty chocolate rich.   I have yet to really assess the playability of the guitar and get to know it.  Hopefully, I'll get it back end of this week, beginning of next.

I'm leaning toward an L.R. Baggs Active.  I'd like an IMix Onboard but don't have the extra $.
Larrivee OM-03R-12 string + IMix external
Martin 000-15S + IMix internal
Martin OM-16GTE + Fishman Matrix
Gretch 5120
Fender Squires - Tele & Strat

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.

Hey gang - does anyone have the detailed instructions on how to gloss the satins?  I purchased my guitar used so I don't get any benefit from the warranty and I would never try to hold anyone responsible for any issues I created by altering my guitar.  The tuners have been changed and a pup has been added so I'm out there flying solo on this rig anyway.  I just want some simple steps to follow and the materials to purchase.  Send me a private email if you don't want to post it here.

brandtw@pacbell.net

Quote from: whiskeyjack on January 18, 2006, 04:44:08 PM
On the other hand, if I gloss the guitar and it develops a crack, a brace pops loose or binding becomes separated.

I'm leaning toward an L.R. Baggs Active.  I'd like an IMix Onboard but don't have the extra $.

I'm not sure about the brace but the binding I can see being related to the finish.  Either way, as long as the finish related stuff is all that is voided in the warranty.  Again, we still haven't heard anything official from Larrivee on this, as a group I mean. 

I had an LR Baggs M1 Active, the soundhole pick up which I may not have really given a chance but sold it mostly because I thought it took away from the look of the guitar.  I plan on getting a K&K Western Mini when I get the money for the parlor I have on layaway.  The parlor is a rosewood satin, used, so I will be glossing the back and sides at least, and has an LR Baggs passive ribbon transducer already installed.

I might buy a small acoustic amp to go with it and hopefully will start gigging again this summer after a 5 year break. I'm thinking of a small Traynor 50 watt AM50T.  I can get one locally for ~$425CDN.  They are sold with a two year, transferable warranty on parts and labour and a 10 year warranty on the wooden enclosure. 

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=32&cat=17&id=341

It's just me with a mic and guitar and I plan on playing in smaller venues so I think this amp might do the trick.

It takes considerable effort to screw up the finish when doing this.   The idea of it affecting other structural aspects seems ...........out of the realm of physics as I know them.

You wanna know what really screws up a guitar?  (Not polishing it.)  A really bad truss adjustment.  Making a saddle too high.  Using too heavy a gauge string.  Not humidifying correctly.  Leaving it in a hot or cold car.  Gigging in bars.  Letting your buddy try it out after three beers...............kids..............dogs and cats..................airlines..........fed-ex...........I can on.  As you all know.

So ,ok, you use the matte UV polyester to save $$ in manufacturing.  It has a drawback of the swoosh that bothers quite a few people.  It occludes the wood.  It shines up from an arm or leg which look wierd.   But the guitar is 200 bucks less due to avoiding a finishing step of buffing.

Some love it.  good for them.  I think it makes my guitar unplayable due to that swoosh.  Can't record with it.  so what can you do?  Buff the sucker!

If you want the info, go to the UMGF FAQ page.   I can't give out info anymore for fear of a lawsuit.   Or send it to me and I'll do it for 150.00 USD plus shipping.

Peter
creestudios.com
Art Guitars and more

Peter,  you should have no fear of a lawsuit by giving advice or instructions.  Any damage to a guitar would be caused by someone acting on their own property with full disclosure from this thread on the instructions themselves.  All of the risk is held by the owner of the guitar by doing the work themselves.  You have far more risk by actually doing the work for someone and charging them money. 

Anyway -  I have the instructions from another source.

BTW,  I visited your website and noticed that you live in NM.  My wife's sister lives in Dixon NM and we've visited Chimayo - God's country for sure!

It's beautiful and God's country etc.  But God better do something about "his country".   The river of sorrow that flows through this green valley and its people is painful to watch.  We've come a long way here but only god can help these people.  It's a cultural trainwreck that visitors can't see.

Thanks for checking out my web-site.  I appreciate the support.

But I'm ready to move on.  Back to the world.

Cheers mate,

Peter
Peter
creestudios.com
Art Guitars and more