Cheap, simple, windows recording program?

Started by rpg51, June 09, 2005, 10:54:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Can any one stear me to a simple cheap (free maybe??) recording program that runs well in Windows XT?  I tried n-Track.  Doesn't run well.  Freezes up all the time.  Runs very slow.   Buggy??? 

My machine has plenty of ram, a large hard disc and a fast processor.  Works well generally. 

I am using an M-Audio Mobilepre (usb) to get my signal into my computer.  It seems to run well.  As soon as I start n-Track - problems start up!!! 

I don't need lots of features.  Looking to keep it as simple as possible for now.  I am new at this recording thing- just learning.  A buggy program isn't helping the learning process one bit. 
Rob

Bourgeois Vintage OM
Larrivee D-05 MT

I have the same question and the same experience-would it be better to go with one of the small portable units for simplicity and send it into the computer through a USB cable and then burn to disc. Something like a Fostex or Tascam-not interested in multi-track or effects just straight acoustic recording.

Try Super mp3 Recorder from Admiresoft www.admiresoft.com

No connection with them other than a very satfisfied user.

John C.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ 
I haven't used it, but I've heard good things. ITs an actual multi-track recording program.

I would check Little Brothers article on home recording at his e- magazine web site.    acousticplayermagazine.com    He talks about several free and some inexpensive programs and covers a lot of other material as well. I consider it a must read for someone new to pc recording.

+1 for Audacity.

It's free and works very well.
Ron

Can I record two channels simultaneously with Audacity?
Will it produce a wav file?  Mp3?
Looks good otherwise -
thanks for the advice - I'll report back after I try it out.
Rob

Bourgeois Vintage OM
Larrivee D-05 MT

I use Audacity on my HP laptop with Windows XP. No problems.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

As I said, I am new to recording.  My goal is to use my recordings to measure my progress and also to force myself to "perfect" the pieces I learn instead of moving on to new things before I nail down a piece. 

I find this difficult and I am beginning to think it may be a distraction from my practice time.  I am getting scratchy noises here and there in the recordings I made this evening.  In general it just seems pretty hard to get a nice clean quite recording.  There is a definate learning curve.  I'll work on it some more over the weekend but I have a feeling there may be a USB device and a mic on the market on eBay on Monday.  We'll see.

Anyway, thanks for the help. 
Rob

Bourgeois Vintage OM
Larrivee D-05 MT

USB is not made for recording. PCI is the best, but if it has to be portable go with firewire.
Some people have no problems with USB. I couldn't handle the pops and latency. You may have to increase your buffer sizes, btw.

If you want something with a little more power try Kristal.

http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/

This is free if your using for personal stuff and has a lot more to offer.

I think anyway... I'm still playing with it.

Stan
CA GXi Burst
CA Cargo (Red - Go Utes)
Larrivee LV-03K
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin D-35 Burst
Yamaha FG423S

I'll give it a look see. 

I'm struggling with this and I'm on the verge of giving up on the theory that I'm trying in general to simplify my life that this stuff seems to be adding complications.  I've decided to give it some more effort over the weekend, if I can't at least get a simle one track clean sounding recording of a short guitar piece by Monday - its outa here.  What is happening is I am getting poor sound quality - muddy and also crackling sounds occasionally - and I need to mess around with the gain settings and mic position etc I guess.  But the crackling is bothering me a lot and I don't see how I can figure out what is causing it - could be the mic, the Mobilepre interface, the cord, the computer, my knuckles, who knows?  I wonder if its "clipping"?  I just don't know.  But if this is the best I am able to do than the $300 or so I've spent on "stuff" can be put to better use. 
Rob

Bourgeois Vintage OM
Larrivee D-05 MT

can any of the free programs mentioned here record on multiple tracks at once? and what type of audio interface do you need to accoplish this. Am I correct that if I just use the line out of my mixer into the line in of the computer, than I would only be able to record on one track at a time?

thanks!
Rob 

Larrivee OM-03R
Art & Lutherie Cedar/cherry Parlor (the best 200-dollar guitars in the world, made in Canada by real guitar craftspeople) :-)
Click to Read About Art & Lutherie Guitars
Peavey Generation EXP

I don't know about the multiple track simultaneous recording but I dont' think the issue is the software so much as it is how many separate channels are exiting your mixer.  My Mobilepre interface can do two channels and therefore two tracks at once - beyond that you have to lay down separate tracks and mix them or you can record vocal and guitar with one mic for intance and use the other input for another instrument or vocal.  I have a feeling your mixer will probably give you the same issue.  Also, my take on this is that the decision is whether to use an external mixer and then stick a single file (mp3 or other) on your computer - or to use the computer for the mixing in which event you wouldn't want or need to use an external mixer - is that correct????  By the way, don't listen to me - I'm lost in space on this stuff - :UND>
Rob

Bourgeois Vintage OM
Larrivee D-05 MT

All modern audio line in cards are stereo. So, you should be able to do two tracks at once this way if you want to.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

so the recording program can take everything that comes in on the left input channel and send it to track 1 and everything right to track 2?

Rob 

Larrivee OM-03R
Art & Lutherie Cedar/cherry Parlor (the best 200-dollar guitars in the world, made in Canada by real guitar craftspeople) :-)
Peavey Generation EXP

Yea, I think that is correct - that is how it works with my M-Audio Mobilepre which has a usb connection to the computer.
Rob

Bourgeois Vintage OM
Larrivee D-05 MT

aaahhhh,

but I'm actually asking about using the 'line in" jack on the computer to take the left and right mains signals from my mixer. that way maybe I don't have to invest in any gear specifically for interfacing with the computer...
Rob 

Larrivee OM-03R
Peavey Generation EXP

Depending on the software you have it may recognize the line in as two seperate channels and give you the ability to assign to any individual track, or it may see the line in as two linked channels and only allow recording to one stero track.
Ron