Old Topic--what's In Your Cd Player Now?

Started by Fredmando, May 03, 2005, 11:48:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Home:  The Gloria Record - Start Here
Car:  Glen Phillips - Abulum
Work:  Mp3 player on shuffle  :D  

Zach

Paul Brady- "say what you feel" new album by the great little-known songwriter.
Damien Rice - "O" wow...
Carole King - "tapestry"
John Denver - "poems, prayers and promises" OLD john Denver record with covers of the Beatles, McCartney's "junk", and JT's "fire and rain"
Jackson Browne - a compilation but I'm obsessing over "call it a loan" and "late for the sky"
Le Concorde - My amazingly talented friend's band from Chicago-look them up-very Prefab Sprout/Scritti Politti/Stephen Duffy (had to give him a plug-but REALLY good)
Shane Nicholson - "it's a movie" great new-ish Aussie singer sonwriter-sounds remarkably like Neil Finn-in the best possible way.

always:
Roddy Frame - "surf" former Aztec Camera frontman (only man) all solo acoustic outing, utterly transcendent.

that's the short list. :D  

QuoteCar:  Glen Phillips - Abulum
how is his solo stuff? ive heard good things about it, but have never picked up one of his cds. where do you recommend i start?

also, AMEN to the eva cassidy mention. this lady was a truly unique talent. she had one of the most amazing voices ever. such a shame shes gone. :(  

Today:

Car: Isato Nakagawa ~ Dream Catcher
Home: Pierre Bensusan ~ Intuite

John in Japan
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/

QuoteCar:  Glen Phillips - Abulum
how is his solo stuff? ive heard good things about it, but have never picked up one of his cds. where do you recommend i start?
I like his solo stuff better than most of the Toad stuff.  He only has 2 solo cds, well 3 if you count the live one.  Abulum is the first, and Winter Pays for Summer just came out last month.  I would recommend starting with Abulum, but I've grown to love it over the past few years.  The new album has good songs, but I'm not impressed with the production on it.  

Also, check out archive.org.  There are a lot of live shows available there for download (free).

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=gl...glen%20phillips

Zach

QuoteCar:  Glen Phillips - Abulum
I like his solo stuff better than most of the Toad stuff.  He only has 2 solo cds, well 3 if you count the live one.  Abulum is the first, and Winter Pays for Summer just came out last month.  I would recommend starting with Abulum, but I've grown to love it over the past few years.  The new album has good songs, but I'm not impressed with the production on it.  

Also, check out archive.org.  There are a lot of live shows available there for download (free).

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=gl...glen%20phillips
thanks, boss. B)  

Car- Pink Guitar
Home - JJ Cale "Naturally", Van Morrison "Hard Nose the Highway"
Work- Oldies Station or Public Radio

Jeff
jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29

All over the Map

Truck
Willie Trice- Blue and Rag'd
Frank Hovington- Gone With the Wind
Lil' Son Jackson- Blues Comes to Texas
Pogues- Waiting for Herb
David Bowie- Ziggy Strardust

Stereo
Reverend Gary Davis- the Biograph disc
Stiff Little Finger- Collected Works
Ramones- RamoneMania
Morrisey- New One(?)
Tom Jones- GH

Computer
(Home)
Angola Prison Spirituals on Arhoolie
(Work)
Weenie Campbell "Weenie Juke Radio"

Mainly Country Blues or Folk in my Walkman.
Yes I spend the majority of my day with some type of music in my ear, my guitar instructor calls it "homework".

QuoteToday:

Car: Isato Nakagawa ~ Dream Catcher
Home: Pierre Bensusan ~ Intuite

John in Japan
John, love Bensusan.  He and Renbourn are my favorites.  I have Intuite here at work and also Musiques (the BEST Bensusan album) but as we speak, I am listening to Robert Johnson, King of the Delta Blues Singers.  I've got a copy of Snap a Little Owl (Renbourn/Grossman) here as well.

Stereo
Ramones- RamoneMania
Morrisey- New One(?)
Tom Jones- GH

Did you happen to catch the documentary "End of The Century" about the Ramones on PBS? It's on the "Independent Lens" series.
--Fred

That is an excellent series. They had a superior show on a NY public school teacher from the 50's-60's. He went on to write several books on education.

The ramones show was very good if you like the Ramones. Though I liked a lot of the music from that scene, I never did get what people saw/heard in the Ramones. Those that remain looked pretty sad in their post Ramones reality, particularly the one who had the heaviest drug problems.

Stereo
Ramones- RamoneMania
Morrisey- New One(?)
Tom Jones- GH

Did you happen to catch the documentary "End of The Century" about the Ramones on PBS? It's on the "Independent Lens" series.
--Fred
I haven't seen it yet (the DVD has been sitting next to the TV for awhile).
My wife was quite the Ramones fan, I was (still) more into the Clash. She has quite a few great stories; hanging out on their bus, going to 7/11 with the entire band to get dinner on tour, having clothes signed.

I know some people don't relate but I think (for better or worse) The Ramones gave rock and roll more life.

Canada does produce quality "everything" I think!
Whew! Thank Goodness, you've forgotten about Celine.
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

Steve Earle "I Ain't Never Satisfied"(Two CD greatest hits set), Best Of The Grateful     , Ellis Paul Live, just picked up new Springsteen, and The Essential Kenny Loggins(mostly listening to Loggins and Messina stuff)  
CA Bluegrass Performer, Larrivee D-02 (sapele),  Martin LXK2 \"If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane"

Chet Atkins & Tommy Emmanual - the day fingerpickers took over the world
Chet - Solo Sessions
Steve Earle - Guitar Town
Lenny Breau - Boy Wonder
Patty Loveless - Mountain Soul
Alison Krauss - Forget about it
"Not all Who Wander are Lost"

The Essential Simon & Garfunkel (2 CD)
Leo Kottke: One Guitar, No Vocals
Beatles 1
PFR - Great Lengths or Disappear
The artist formerly known as larriboy
Larrivée D-03R

Celine? What are you talking about? Schlock quality doesn't come much higher.  

Muddy Waters - Folk singer.

Muddy on guitar and vocals.
Buddy Guy on guitar and,
Willie Dixon on standup bass.

All acoustic. Gotta love it.

Rob
Larrivee OM-03R SH
Santa Cruz OM/PW-M
Martin OMC 28M Laurence Juber

Colin James and the Little Big Band (the first one)
20th Century Masters-The Best of The Mamas and Papas
Crash Test Dummies - The Ghosts That Haunt Me
Santana - Moonflower (for Europa - Earth's Cry Heaven's Smile)
Stompin' Tom - Kick Along With Stompin' Tom
Brian M.