YouTube Rabbit Hole Helps Me Find Another Great Artist: Diego Garcia/Twanguero

Started by Silence Dogood, May 29, 2023, 08:23:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ok, so I'm cruising the Collings channel and land on a random video featuring a guy I'd never heard of.  It turns out to be one of the most impressive things I've seen in a while. 
Here:

Then there is this one:

And this:

I ended up finding his albums online under his pseudonym "Twangeuro."  How did I miss this guy so far? 

It is pretty flashy playing for sure, but it's also heavily rooted in melody and done very tastefully.  And no slappy/tappy stuff, but just great songs.  I'm impressed, and I'm a new fan! Check him out for sure.   

Thanks! I really like his sense of melody and his chording technique. So many acoustic artists seem to simply noodle for 4 minutes and call it a track, but with him I can hear melody phrases he sequences nicely.  His latin passion with dynamics is fun also. I like how he integrates rhythm strumming/chording with his lead melody.

But I deduct points for anchoring his pinky, (does he?) but that's just me. Just out of curiosity does he ever play without a thumb pick? I ask because I'm tempted to at least work out the chords he's doing, but there's no way I could come within 20% of his playing without finding that thumb pick I haven't used in a decade. Even then there's no way I get close. . .

Finding new music is challenging. Used to be, FM radio was how I came to new musicians but that's so last century. Now I do "sounds like . . ." on the various services but that has an unfortunate low hit rate.

But OMG that left hand! - I bet $10 he can palm a basketball very easily not to mention deadlift 20 pounds with his ring finger . . .  :beer 

Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Quote from: jpmist on May 30, 2023, 10:31:33 AMThanks! I really like his sense of melody and his chording technique. So many acoustic artists seem to simply noodle for 4 minutes and call it a track, but with him I can hear melody phrases he sequences nicely.  His latin passion with dynamics is fun also. I like how he integrates rhythm strumming/chording with his lead melody.

But I deduct points for anchoring his pinky, (does he?) but that's just me. Just out of curiosity does he ever play without a thumb pick? I ask because I'm tempted to at least work out the chords he's doing, but there's no way I could come within 20% of his playing without finding that thumb pick I haven't used in a decade. Even then there's no way I get close. . .

Finding new music is challenging. Used to be, FM radio was how I came to new musicians but that's so last century. Now I do "sounds like . . ." on the various services but that has an unfortunate low hit rate.

But OMG that left hand! - I bet $10 he can palm a basketball very easily not to mention deadlift 20 pounds with his ring finger . . .  :beer 

Excellent points and observations there!  I'm not sure about him pinky-planting; I'd have to watch more closely.  Like you, I was/am pretty mesmerized by his left hand.  Just an absolutely insane amount of control and skill. 

I've been researching him a bit and apparently he's a master at (i.e. formally trained) classical guitar, folk/Travis style, rockabilly, etc.  This fellow is all over the place, but it's his sense of melody that really gets my attn.  Like you said, many players just noodle (or slap/tap) for several minutes and call that a song, but he really weaves in a beautiful melody.  These are tunes that get stuck in one's head. 

Here is a cool track from one of his electric records.  It's definitely got a Latin flavor.  Reminds me of desert highway music or something.  I like it a lot.

I learned to plant my pinkie from video lessons of Stefan Gossman and Tommy Emmanuel. I tried using a thumb pick but it was too clumsy and I didn't like the brash sound, so I stuck with bare thumb. I did get advice once from a good fingerpicker: if you try a thumb pick cut it down so only a small pick edge sticks out. Then you won't feel like you have a shovel on your thumb.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09

Quote from: StringPicker6 on May 30, 2023, 07:15:53 PMI learned to plant my pinkie from video lessons of Stefan Gossman and Tommy Emmanuel. I tried using a thumb pick but it was too clumsy and I didn't like the brash sound, so I stuck with bare thumb. I did get advice once from a good fingerpicker: if you try a thumb pick cut it down so only a small pick edge sticks out. Then you won't feel like you have a shovel on your thumb.
I've got a thumbpick that I never got used to.  I've probably had the same one for almost 20 years.  Maybe I'll get it out and try it again.  But I'm probably too old to change at this point. 
 :wave

Here is a cool track from one of his electric records.  It's definitely got a Latin flavor.  Reminds me of desert highway music or something.  I like it a lot.

Thanks! I caught vibes of Jeff Beck with that and at first listen really liked the strong rhythm guitar track thruout with an interesting chord progression you don't hear often. Definite "Pulp Fiction"/Tarantino vibe. Gonna give that some more listens and check out the rest of his stuff - thx again!

Returning your favor, this is a gamble as my taste has drifted far from Rock to Folk in my old age. I've gotten into girl folk groups lately. I stumbled on "The Good Lovelies" a few months ago and it's unusual I like almost all the songs on an album on first listen. The genre is hard to describe, upbeat, fun, jazzy 40's bebop? The harmonies are amazing.

Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Funny you should say that, I'm drifting away from classic rock to folk also. I've been diving into English folk from the 60's, and I'm obsessed with Bert Jansch right now.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09

Quote from: StringPicker6 on May 31, 2023, 09:55:44 PMFunny you should say that, I'm drifting away from classic rock to folk also. I've been diving into English folk from the 60's, and I'm obsessed with Bert Jansch right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99t8BtSU4kE

Quote from: jpmist on May 31, 2023, 08:02:44 PMHere is a cool track from one of his electric records.  It's definitely got a Latin flavor.  Reminds me of desert highway music or something.  I like it a lot.

Thanks! I caught vibes of Jeff Beck with that and at first listen really liked the strong rhythm guitar track thruout with an interesting chord progression you don't hear often. Definite "Pulp Fiction"/Tarantino vibe. Gonna give that some more listens and check out the rest of his stuff - thx again!

Returning your favor, this is a gamble as my taste has drifted far from Rock to Folk in my old age. I've gotten into girl folk groups lately. I stumbled on "The Good Lovelies" a few months ago and it's unusual I like almost all the songs on an album on first listen. The genre is hard to describe, upbeat, fun, jazzy 40's bebop? The harmonies are amazing.

Wow, that's a great track.  Very beautiful and tight harmonies!  I like the old, striped down, 40s, ragtime vibes going on.  I used to listen to a group called the Be Good Tanyas that was similar to this.  Not sure if they are still around or not.