Martin as a beater

Started by headsup, February 11, 2018, 07:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've been around here long enough to have more than my share of GOTM awards.
the current one has at least two of my regular stage guitars shown.
One band leader insists I bring the 1992 BZ c-09 to his gigs.

Canadian winters can be cold, and hard on sensitive hand made guitars, so I cringe every time I have to take a couple to a gig.

I mentioned in a previous post i was "auditioning" a Martin 000c 16RGTE. (Nazareth PA)
I bought it,

here's what the numbers mean
000 body size (lovely) c (cutaway)
R ( Rosewood)
GT ( Gloss topp)
E (electronics)

It's a very lovely feeling and sounding guitar, a real players dream.
all solid tone woods, scalloped bracing, and the Fishman Aura system is superb.
Certainly the best "barn door" system I've ever encountered.

I took it out  in a nasty night (long cold drive) to back up a local favourite last night, and it was stellar ( I let him play it as well).
Sundays I host an informal session (with PA) and I'm always a little worried about letting any of the Larrivee's be passed around.

certainly didn't worry about other's playing this Martin, (even if they couldn't figure out the Aura system).
Also didn't worry about the temperature issue like i do with my Larrivee's.

The good news is, getting home, and sitting down to re-connect with any one of the GTOM instruments sitting in the living room.
heck, they didn't even feel betrayed.....(I think they were relieved).

For comparison, I'm showing the similar body shape against my Oskar Graf BZ- which I only take to concert shows.

There is approximately $10,000 difference between the two in price.   :bowdown:

http://www.grafguitars.com/collection.html

Martin as a beater. THE BEST!
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

I prefer Yamaha as a beater but, hey, why not?

Many of the 16 series (and 15 series) Martin's get stellar reviews... I've played a few of the 16's that sounded as nice as the Standard series.

:thumbsup
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on February 11, 2018, 09:33:45 PM
Many of the 16 series (and 15 series) Martin's get stellar reviews... I've played a few of the 16's that sounded as nice as the Standard series.

:thumbsup

Except they cost too much for what they are. Let's see. A $1200 Martin or a $300 Yamaha? I dare most people to find the $900 difference.  :smile:

I have been seriously considering a Martin 000RS1 for this purpose.  (also no rosewood on that model, so no concerns about international borders)

On the other hand, if it's crazy cold out I'm taking the one on the right:

You have to be careful that your "beater" isn't too nice. Then you have to go out and find a better ... er ... worse "beater".   :beer 

just an update, as this used martin with the Fishman aura on board system is something I'm not used to.
it does go through batteries -yes I know to unplug when not in use, however the complex onboard "samples" and the active tone controls seem to eat more battery juice than I'm used to.
certainly changing is easy enough.
The editing, of their mic'd up samples is like the aura pre-amp i have in the FS forum.
which is quite something, edit and store, blend, add/subtract EQ as need, store or change on the fly.
PLUS I have just discovered i can reset to factory defaults!
so i can start over with my own preferences.
software down loads better recorded samples as well?

My oh my, I'm old!

who else remembers the original little brown rectangle Barcus Berry thing we stuck on the underside top of the guitar and we were "electric"!

My research has indicated to me, the replacement of the Fisherman on board barn door Aura is more than what I paid for the lovely 000 solid wood scolloped braced Nazareth PA guitar, in good case WITH the system.
go figure.....
Like over 50?

Quote from: ducktrapper on February 11, 2018, 09:55:13 PM
Except they cost too much for what they are. Let's see. A $1200 Martin or a $300 Yamaha? I dare most people to find the $900 difference.  :smile:

Sorry, Tom. Gotta respectfully disagree - there's a big difference (if you're talking new $300 Yamahas). The Martin's have a much more professional (much thinner) finish which will breathe better. Also, I'm not crazy about the string spacing at the nut on many low end Yammies - it's too narrow, and the strings are slotted too close together (which means a nut change at least). And I'd also be willing to wager that the woods used on the Martin (at least back, sides and neck) are going to be higher quality (I realize that can be personal preference) and they will be solid woods.

Just an honest observation from looking at lots of both in local shops.

Quote from: Mikeymac on February 19, 2018, 11:40:44 AM
Sorry, Tom. Gotta respectfully disagree - there's a big difference (if you're talking new $300 Yamahas). The Martin's have a much more professional (much thinner) finish which will breathe better. Also, I'm not crazy about the string spacing at the nut on many low end Yammies - it's too narrow, and the strings are slotted too close together (which means a nut change at least). And I'd also be willing to wager that the woods used on the Martin (at least back, sides and neck) are going to be higher quality (I realize that can be personal preference) and they will be solid woods.

Just an honest observation from looking at lots of both in local shops.

Yes we'll have to disagree. I've yet to be that impressed by the less expensive Martins, other than the all mahogany ones but especially the 16 series.  Unlike Larrivee who, apparently, don't know how to make an actual lesser guitar other than to make them less fancy, Martin has it figured out. While you may have to look around a little more, I am usually quite satisfied with a $300 Yamaha but that's me. Of course, if price is not a factor, my beater would be a Collings or something like that. :) 

Quote from: ducktrapper on February 19, 2018, 12:17:39 PM

Of course, if price is not a factor, my beater would be a Collings or something like that. :) 

Agree!  :tongue:

I'm a little lost on the 16 being an inexpensive guitar?
all solid woods, scolloped bracing,looks to me to be very well made.
and it sounds great (yes a small body 000 with cutaway cannot be compared to a Larrivee OM, C or L.
but for my money, it's a very lovely and easy to play guitar.
the Fishman aura on board system is simply stunning to program, tweak and work live with. (not that I'm a fan of barn door electrics).
I took my $300 yamaha beater to Ireland, and frankly, next trip, I would take this little martin or the Larrivee OM3.
sold the yamaha "beater" upon return.
lets face it, we are spoiled by playing Larrivee guitars (at least I am),
chunky yamaha's just don't do it for me anymore....

to each his/her own...
Like over 50?

Quote from: headsup on February 20, 2018, 09:29:13 PM
I'm a little lost on the 16 being an inexpensive guitar?
all solid woods, scolloped bracing,looks to me to be very well made.
and it sounds great (yes a small body 000 with cutaway cannot be compared to a Larrivee OM, C or L.
but for my money, it's a very lovely and easy to play guitar.
the Fishman aura on board system is simply stunning to program, tweak and work live with. (not that I'm a fan of barn door electrics).
I took my $300 yamaha beater to Ireland, and frankly, next trip, I would take this little martin or the Larrivee OM3.
sold the yamaha "beater" upon return.
lets face it, we are spoiled by playing Larrivee guitars (at least I am),
chunky yamaha's just don't do it for me anymore....

to each his/her own...

Bite your tongue, I love my Yammies!

of course you do! and you are supposed to!
because when you and I of to Ireland, you will NOT be taking your BZ L! :cheers
Like over 50?

Quote from: headsup on February 21, 2018, 06:56:33 AM
of course you do! and you are supposed to!
because when you and I of to Ireland, you will NOT be taking your BZ L! :cheers

Ha! You got that right! My old FG 180 will do nicely. It really is a sweet guitar. Not all those old "red tags" are that great but if you can find one of the good ones, grab it. This is my second one after I foolishly sold the first one. I'm not letting this one go and really need to think of getting  "better", more expendable that is, beater.