My New Brook Bovey

Started by Cams, April 29, 2004, 07:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just thought I'd pop in to share some pictures of my new Brook Bovey. It's a parlor-sized guitar with a 21.5" scale length. Woods are cedar on Brazilian rosewood with Braz bridge, fretboard and purfling, ovangkol binding, gold Schäller tuners and a custom inlay on the headstock.

Tonally this guitar is like nothing I've ever played before. I'd actually never even played a parlour guitar before I ordered this one so I guess it might have proven to be a bit of a foolhardy decision. After ordering, I got a chance to visit the Brook workshop down in Devon and played, amongst others, a couple of Boveys. I could not have been happier!

There are pictures of my visit to the Brook workshop on my site too, worthy of a coffee-break browse I reckon.

I'm not able to record the Bovey as my recording unit is away for repairs, but I'll report back when I've got something ready.

Brook Bovey pics

Brook workshop pics

Cams

Very nice little guitar. Don't think my fat fingers could cut the short scale but absoulutely gorgeous.

Don
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Cams,
Nice to see you over here! Just a piece of rosewood lying around, eh?! WOW! I have been eyeing those U.K. builders. Have you ever had a chance to compare sounds of a  Brook/McIlroy/Lowden?  If so, care to venture any (personal) sound characteristic descriptives?

naboz

QuoteHave you ever had a chance to compare sounds of a  Brook/McIlroy/Lowden?  If so, care to venture any (personal) sound characteristic descriptives?
I've played only two Lowdens and one McIlroy. The Lowdens were both Os and I was comparing them to a Gibson J-150 which I subsequently bought (and have now sold). The McIlroy I played was at a Festival round about the time I was getting close to guitar saturation point, and I don't even remember which model it was*.

Without playing Lowden, Brook and McIlroy side by side, I'm not really able to compare. The closest I've got to playing Lowden and Brook side by side was at The Acoustic Music Company in Brighton where I played about eight Brooks and a Lowden O-32 12-string. I would happily have walked out with all of them, but the Brook that stood out on the day was their dreadnaught, the Teign. The Lowden was the best 12 I've played thus far too - I never knew they could be that easy to play! Still, comparing a 12-string to a six is not really of much use either :(

Incidentally, I've just posted a short video review of the Bovey on my site. I ought to have introduced it better and mentioned that the BO is pronounced like in BOvril, not like cam-BODia as I previously though. All Brook guitars are named after rivers in Devon.

Video Review of Bovey

Cams

*Note to self: write things down next time!

Hey dude,

Saw your guitar being made when I was there a little while ago. I recognise the thistle!! Did you come and pick it up? What an awesome worskshop. :D  

Very nice Cams.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing! :)
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2