Martin 000-28ec

Started by poki, February 04, 2004, 11:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anyone here own/played a Martin "Eric Clapton" 000-28 guitar?  This guitar has a shorter than typical scale length of 24.9 inch (1 3/4 nut width) compared to 25.5 inch for most others including Larrivee's...i have small hands with short fingers and was wondering if this Martin is worth trying out to see how it plays compared to my OM-09 as far as reaching frets.

I know for sure the 1 3/4 nut width is much easier for me to play on than my classicals 2 inch width so maybe a shorter scale length combined with a 1 3/4 nut might make things that much easier...
poki  B)  

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor

Just at the Guitar Center. It was a nice one. I liked the looks as well as anything.....the vintage color (finish)....But I really liked the Keb Mo signature Martin they had there.  
Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.

I've played a couple of 000-28ECs and didn't really think they were that great.  They didn't sound bad, but to me they weren't worth the money.  I like the OM-28V a lot better.

Zach

Thanks for the comments folks...i think i'll stay away from the 000-28EC...i agree it's not worth the price...i may end up trying out a parlor instead which should fit well and is easy to tote around.  i almost got an OM-28V or a Santa Cruise OM but got the OM-09 instead which i'm glad for.
poki  B)  

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor

QuoteThanks for the comments folks...i think i'll stay away from the 000-28EC...i agree it's not worth the price...i may end up trying out a parlor instead which should fit well and is easy to tote around.  i almost got an OM-28V or a Santa Cruise OM but got the OM-09 instead which i'm glad for.
poki  B)
Poki,  Can you tell us your impressions of the Santa Cruz OM compared to the Larrivee OM-09.?  Thanks
Don

Sorry imapikin, i don't have a Santa Cruise OM...It along with the Martin OM-28V were the guitars i was considering before picking the Larrivee OM-09.
poki B)  

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor

I've played both a santa cruz OM-mahogany and a larrivee OM05.The Santa Cruz reminded me of a vintage martin the Larrivee has a wider toal spectrum.I'm not saying the either one is better then the other they both have strong merrit's.One being old timie and the other being a bit more vers.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Poki, Yes I've played a Martin 000-28EC.  Want to hear it?  Go to www.CDBaby.com/berchtold, and click on the first track - Shrug.  That fingerstyle intro is a friends 000-28EC recorded with a Shure KSM44.  I love it -one of the best guitars I've ever played.  If you watch ebay, you can pick one up used for just shy of 2k.  

I bought a OM-28V, but actually like the 000-28EC better.  The 28V is too punchy for my taste.   I can't control the bass when I play it live - sounds awesome at home though!  The short scale of the EC, IMO, makes it better balanced.  It still has that great Martin bass, but not over the edge.  I probably shouldn't be bad-mouthing my 28V like that 'cause I may be selling it someday (maybe trade for a Larrivee OM-50?), but hey, just being honest!

Guess I should mention that Martin makes (made?) two versions of the 000-28EC, one with brazilian rw, and one with east indian.  Of course the brazilian was much more expensive - wel over 4K, I think.

David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Actually, when i bought my OM-9 i was there to look at and probably buy the 000-28ec. But fate stepped in and i picked up the OM-9 which proceeded to blow me away and sound better than the EC at over twice the price. (OM-9 was being blown out at $1000)

Just the other day i played another EC while browsing at a shop. Just didn't sound near as good as mine once again. I suppose if i had one and set it up perfectly, found the best strings for it, and put my favorite saddle in it maybe i'd feel differently. But i can't imagine it sounding better than my OM.
Larrivee OM-9.....Taylor Killer, Tone2DaBone, Angels Singin', Nuff Said !

I used to own an ec. It played very easy and I liked the neck profile. It had a VERY dark sound though. Not enough projection either with the short scale. Beautifully made though. I'd go with the longer scaled OM-21. I think it's the best value in the Martin OM lineup.

I have one and really like it.  I use it for fingerpicking and it does the job for me.  I like the feel and shape of the neck and think it projects just fine.  As far as whether it is worth thr price or not, well, that is up to each individual.  To me, mine was.

LJ

Poki--If you are still interested, I know where a nice used EC is. It looks like it's in great shape and I know the dealer. E-mail me if you like.
Also, David, what guitar are you playing on that sound clip? The intro is awesome, but you have some great stuff there. Is the rest of the song done with your Larrivee?
--Fred

Frederickmando,

Glad you like it!  The intro is a friends 000-28EC. Great guitar.  The rest of the song is my Collings D1A (on rhythm) and Dave Fryer's Tacoma DR18 (on lead).  

I really liked that 000-28EC and was looking to get one.  When I finally found one that sounded as good as my buddy's, it still didn't sound as good as the OM-28V next to it, which I bought.  Since I bought it I've played a couple Larrivee OM-05's I liked almost as well.  They don't have that signature Martin bass or the dark Martin sound, and probably not the sheer volume of the OM-28V, but they are awesome, balanced, versatile guitars.  I mays still get one someday....

If you want to hear my Larrivee D05 listen to "Thoughts."  I was going to use my D1A on that, too, but for that particular song, with that particular microphone (Rode NT1) the Larrivee sound best!

David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

I really like the way the necks are shaped on the Martin EC model.  Perfect mix of string spacing, soft V profile, and width.  Easy to play with the shorter scale length.  Sounds good to my ears, but that is subjective.  My Larrivee OM is brighter and works well for the fingerstyle that I play.

E. Shoaf