Guilds? Underrated

Started by dr461, December 14, 2004, 10:25:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who else here thinks that Guilds are underrated guitars?  The older Rhode Island and New York Guilds are reallly excellent instruments (IMHO).
Love those fine guitars:
Larrivee L-05
Martin D-18 (1947)

Taylor 610

Gibson S.G. '61 reissue
Clapton Strat
Ovation Balladeer
 Martin SPD 16 K2
Gretsch Historic Series Sychromatic Slim-Jim
Martin D-41 special[b

Hey DR, I'm  going to agree and then disagree with you slightly. I am a recent convert to the Guilds. Heck, I'm a recent convert to guitars period! But, I have a 2004 Corona (CA) made Guild D-40 that I really like. I swear, it's like having a little bit of a Martin D-28 or D-18 and a Gibson J-45 packed into one guitar. Because of the mahogany, this is not a canon. But, for ease of play and mellow sound, it's a keeper.
I think people wrote off Guilds once Fender bought them out. However, if you spend some time on the Fender/Guild Forum and read some guitar mags you will quickly realize that Guild was in trouble on the East coast when Fender bought them. Now, I also have to say that I am a big Fender fan. It's funny because I almost didn't buy this guitar because I was listening to the negative comments about Fender taking over Guild. It wasn't until Rob and some others told me to go by my gut feeling on the guitar. So, I did. I kept going back for months playing different models.
I have only picked up one Guild in a music store that sounded like a dud. That was a jumbo.
But, like anything, the Guild sound is something you either like or don't.
Mine is like the one Richie Havens played.
So, in short, yes they are way underated guitars.
--Fred :D  

I am a big GUILD Fan,been one since 69.I'm not a fan of the Cal. modals I think they need to build a few more years to even come close to the RI made.I believe the main reason for the move to Cal. was that Fender didn't like the lay out of the RI factory,It's a shame that they brought out people from RI to TRAIN the Cal.people then they let them go.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I bought a Guild D-35 in 1978 as a less expensive replacement for the Martin D-28 I had previously sold for financial reasons while I was in school. Its stayed with me ever since. Its still a good sounding and playing guitar, but not the equal of a Larrivee D-03.

I am anxious to see what happens to Guild as their production is moved to the Tacoma factory which Fender has announced is already in progress (following the buyout of Tacoma by Fender).

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Well, I have to differ with unclrob a bit on this one . . .

I have only one Guild - a Corona D-55 that is light wieght, loud, and just all around excellent!  I don't think the Corona plant has to prove itself at all.  They already have by producing some very fine instruments that are at least as good as and in some cases better than their old ones.
Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55
Taylor 355
Taylor 414
Larrivée L-05
Guild D-55
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 714ce
Taylor 814c
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Les Paul Custom

Rob, weren't there some neck issues with the late 1990's Guilds? I'm a fan of both coast Guilds.
I see your point about the Fender buyout. I didn't know they laid anyone off aftermoving them to Corona.
But, with Tacoma I wonder how long they were going to be able to stay competitive on their own. I know that a lot of dealers had old stock Tacomas that never seemed to move. So, I don't think they were moving a lot of guitars.
Roman, I have to side with you on this. I did see one Corona Guild with a bridge lift problem while I was scoping guitars once. But, I think the overall quality is good. But, I don't work on guitars like some of you other folks do.
--Fred

The main issue in the 90's was that USA Music the prev. owner push a bunch of stuff out the door ready or not so acount rec looked really good to a buyer.Fender when they took over warr. all the bad stuff,gave Guild the money to retool and cleanup that USAmucic wouldn't give them.They proudlly said Guild is here to stay then shut them down in Aug 2001.I still see some rather bad workmanship from Cal and I'm not making judgements because I think the GAD GUILDS from China aren't bad guitars.I am also not saying the Cal are bad I just feel it takes about 5 years to work all the kinks out of a new system.As to what will happen to Tacoma I don't know,we will have to wait and see...
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

This was all brought on by my sentimental attachment to a Guild D-40 that I learned to play on.  It was one of the old "New Jersey" Guilds--built when the craftsmen lived in the New York area, and bench made their instruments.  I wish I still had that axe--what a sweet sound it had!!  It has been years and years, and many fond memories. :D  
Love those fine guitars:
Larrivee L-05
Martin D-18 (1947)

Taylor 610

Gibson S.G. '61 reissue
Clapton Strat
Ovation Balladeer
 Martin SPD 16 K2
Gretsch Historic Series Sychromatic Slim-Jim
Martin D-41 special[b

DR--Sorry, got carried away. :ph34r:
What year is your Guild?
Sounds like a sweet guitar to me.
--Fred

My husband has a jumbo maple 12-string Guild. It is amazing! It started our love affair with maple guitars. (Rob, are you listening? You really NEED to sell that L09FM SOON!)

Deb
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R

Deb I'm listening. :P
I wasn't trying to offend anyone I've been playing Guild for 35 years now.I bought my D35 new and though it is on loan to my neice it's still mine.I'm just not much of a dread fan anymore now if you talkin JUMBO'S there nothin like a JF30 or my JF30/12.Though when I think about it my Larrivee J05 is just way cool.I agree that Guil's are underrated.Thank goodness as I'm try to keep an eye out for a D30 and maybe a D55SB{I let the one we had in shop get away}.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Rob, glad to hear you let that Guild get out of your shop. I can stop taking the medication knowing there is no chance of landing that beauty!! But, I'm sure I'll find something else to fixate on.
That was a great looking guitar! I'm sure you made someone very happy with that Guild!
--Fred

It will be interesting to see what Fender does with Guild. I wouldn't be suprised if they consolidate all acoustic manufacturing in Tacoma. The Tacoma plant is huge with tremendous production capacity.  It was designed to handle large contract orders as well as building Tacomas which is a unique concept.  I've read that they produce instruments for a number of makers, some of which would suprise a person. I suspect that even with their state of the art facility they have their work cut out for them competing with asian imports. I hope they really focus on good materials and build quality.

QuoteIt will be interesting to see what Fender does with Guild. I wouldn't be suprised if they consolidate all acoustic manufacturing in Tacoma. The Tacoma plant is huge with tremendous production capacity.  It was designed to handle large contract orders as well as building Tacomas which is a unique concept.  I've read that they produce instruments for a number of makers, some of which would suprise a person. I suspect that even with their state of the art facility they have their work cut out for them competing with asian imports. I hope they really focus on good materials and build quality.
It appears that not all the FMIC manuf will move to Tacoma from Calif.

From the Tacoma Forum post by the Fender marketing guy Morgan Ringwald:

QuoteJackson & Charvel? Not that I know of. Benedetto will stay in the Custom Shop in Corona. There are about 8 people working on Benedetto guitars, including Bob Benedetto and Stephen Stern, and they have their own section of the Custom Shop for production. I don't see any reason why they would move. Nor do I see any reason that Jackson & Charvel would move, seeing as how all of the J/C builders are from California. They've been making these guitars for a long time, and they are a big part of their success.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

I toured the Guild factory in Westerly RI back in 1994 and I was impressed by the attention to detail that the instruments received.  I'm not sure pre-Fender Guilds are under-rated, but they do seem to receive second class treatment sometimes.  I think they are fine guitars.

E. Shoaf