Santa Cruz

Started by LawDogStrgsAttach, March 16, 2007, 12:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I played the second best sounding guitar in my life yesterday.  Santa Cruz D/PW M.  OK, it's a tie with the rosewood standard D/PW.  the best was the Collings I mentioned in an earlier thread of the same name, but the SCGC is $1800 cheaper!!  And similar look, build quality, etc..  Given that, this is the best.

Both the rosewood and hog verions of the SCGC D/PW respond with the slighest touch and have loads of volume on command...yet unlike most other dreads in its price/market range, it can delicately fingerpick due to its sensitivity.

Wow.  I might have to trade for one soon!   :whistling:

...and can anyone tell me how the Larry D-50 compares tone/feel -wise?? 

I would love to try a D/PW/M. I bought a 2001 D/PW/R in December and just can't get enough of it. Besides the great tone you've commented on it has outstanding playability.  Maybe I shouldn't try a DPWM as I already have three mahogany dreads and a 0000 in mahogany and a rosewood dread that I just started building today.  I too am curious to see if anybody has had a chance to do an A/B comparison with a D50.  Got to agree about the Collings as well.

Quote from: LawDogStrgsAttach on March 16, 2007, 12:42:39 PM

Both the rosewood and hog verions of the SCGC D/PW respond with the slighest touch and have loads of volume on command...yet unlike most other dreads in its price/market range, it can delicately fingerpick due to its sensitivity.

The OM/PW ain't too bad either. The 50 series sound close to the 05 series... I haven't done a side by side comparison, but I bet they sound dissimilar(the SC and D-50).

Oh - it aint bad at all!  I played (for the second time) the OM/PW along with the D/PW M - I would take one of those as well!  More balanced that the D and the same response to delicate touch, but the volume on demand of the D/PW was just oustanding!

1 year ago I played both at High Strung Music in Springfield MO.  The D-50 sounded good to me, like a D-18 on low-dose steroids.  The SCGC D/PW sounded very good.  But, I was having more fun playing the SC Tony Rice model. 

If I was in the market for an OM model, I would strongly consider a SC.
Larry

<1 or 2 nice ones>

I have a Santa Cruz Dreadnought 12fret mahogany and a Santa Cruz Koa F Cutaway.  I love the sound of these guitars.  I originally thought that I did not like the sound of mahogany since I liked the sound of a Martin D28 more than a Martin D18. 
I sold my Thompson Custom 12 fret cutaway even though it was a great guitar because I simply liked the sound of my Santa Cruz guitars better.  I also had a Martin J40 cutaway but sold that because I liked the sound of my Santa Cruz guitars better. 
I still play my 1978 Taylor 855, Lemon Grove, hand made by Robert Taylor 12-string and my Emerald Opus X-30 12 string when I need to play something besides a six string.  I like the sound of rosewood, but I love the sound of Koa and mahogany.
I have played some Collings guitars.  They are wonderful guitars, but I prefer my Santa Cruz F and D 12fret.
Peace,
Rip :nana_guitar

A luthier friend says he has had to repair a lot of Santa Cruz guitars, as the bracing is too flimsy and they tend to distort around the sound-hole.  This is a shame, because a Santa Cruz 00 I tried in a UK guitar shop sounded and played fantastic.  It had a perfectly balanced sound. Even second-hand it was too much money for me though.

Has anyone else experience of SCs failing?  I find it hard to believe that such a reputable maker would keep turning out instruments with the potential to fail.
Larrivée Limited Edition Rosewood Parlor (2003)
plus various other acoustic guitars and one ukulele

Quote from: Parlor Picker on March 29, 2007, 05:45:26 AM
A luthier friend says he has had to repair a lot of Santa Cruz guitars, as the bracing is too flimsy and they tend to distort around the sound-hole.  This is a shame, because a Santa Cruz 00 I tried in a UK guitar shop sounded and played fantastic.  It had a perfectly balanced sound. Even second-hand it was too much money for me though.

Has anyone else experience of SCs failing?  I find it hard to believe that such a reputable maker would keep turning out instruments with the potential to fail.

That doesn't make sense. Why would he repair a lot of SC guitars that fail due to construction when Santa Cruz's have a lifetime warranty? SCGC even does neck resets under warranty for the life of the guitar. So my guess is it's B.S. and maybe your luthier friend works at a shop that sells guitars competing with SC.

O yeh, welcome to the forum.

That's BS. If that were the case, given all the info that flies around the various guitar forums, what you or your friend is claiming would be common knowledge.

Always wary of a first post that is negative.

Rob
Larrivee OM-03R SH
Santa Cruz OM/PW-M
Martin OMC 28M Laurence Juber

Sorry, I don't buy this. I'm not questioning your luthier, but I have only heard of Santa Cruz guitars having issues due to negligent owners. I think there is a lot of misinformation out there about Santa Cruz. If you ever get a chance to listen to the owner and head luthier of Santa Cruz, Richard Hoover, I would recommend it. I almost didn't buy my Santa Cruz OM/PW because of a long thread on another guitar forum which started with a claim that Santa Cruz guitars would explode due to the thin tops.
I would suggest that your luthier visit the Santa Cruz Forum. I have heard of people sending their guitars in for reasons such as dings they caused or maybe a tuner issue, and they end up with a lot of service for no charge under warranty. It kind of reminds me of Weber Mandolins and their customer service.
I am glad I didn't listen to that advice. My guitar instructor plays a similar sized OM made by much smaller maker than Santa Cruz. He uses his on stage and on the road. It also has a tuned top and vintage bracing. Once he got his OM he decided to give up his dreadnaught.
My OM/PW doesn't sound like a Larrivee or a Martin. Some people like the sound, others prefer the sound of other makers.
I think I am one odd duck! :roll I own a Corona Guild that should be firewood by now--according to one forum member. And, I own a Santa Cruz. I hope someone will loan me a guitar someday when both of these guitars fail!
The only drawback of the Santa Cruz is that it is a "lifer" guitar, so you have to cut down on the GAS attacks.  :nana_guitar

Thanks for the responses everyone.  That's the kind of thing I was hoping to hear!  No, I didn't set out to be negative in my first post - just wanted to get some reaction from people in the know.  As I say, I was expecting this kind of response and am pleased to hear it.  I've tried a couple of SC guitars and they were both FANTASTIC!  As I'm in Europe, a trip to the SC facility is sadly out of the question.

Maybe one day I'll be able to afford the SC of my dreams...  I quite fancy a Larrivée 000-50 or 60 as well...

Hey Parlor Picker--
I hope you didn't think I was pouncing on your post, that was not my intention.
Your post made me realize that I know some "experts" who don't like Martins and told me not to buy my Guild D-40. While I really appreciate these guys for their experience, I have to follow my own "Rookie-Roy" instincts when it comes to guitars. I've even had people in the Bluegrass Belt tell me Larrivees are inferior to Martins. The list goes on and the reasons can be anything from neck joint to frets. This thread made me realize what a lucky guy I am and how I probably have too many guitars!
I think you would be surprised at how, with a little searching, you can find deals on both Larrivees and Santa Cruz guitars--especially gently used.
Just keep an eye on the forum classified section. You will find a great bunch of people here and a lot of them list their guitars for sale when they upgrade.
There are so many great guitars out there and so llittle time! :roll
Plus, when you play like me, you have worry about pesky things such as actually learning to play the guitar! I am more of a collector! :guitar
Happy Friday, time for donuts!! :donut2 :donut :donut2

Thanks for the nice comments, Fredmando.

We all have different ideas about guitars - which is part of what makes them so interesting!

I was just a bit alarmed at what my friend said as he's not one for BS (he's a respected maker and repairer in mainland Europe).  I just knew he couldn't be right on this occasion.  Maybe he has tweaked a few SCs in his time (he has no axe to grind and would not lie about such a thing), but I'm convinced that overall they are superb instruments.

Over here in the UK, Larrivées are hard to come by (I got my Parlor on eBay from the States) and a lot of people are not aware what fine guitars they are.  I recently attended a concert with loads of guitars including Collings, Gibson, Martin, Kalamazoo and National.  Easily the best sounding guitar on stage was a Larri OM.

Have a great weekend.

PP

I've played a few SC guitars and was quite impressed by the sound.  Maybe it's just me but they did seem a little flimsy... I haven't made any judgments on their guitars and they do sound great, it's just that the workmanship on the one's I have played didn't seem that great.

Is it just me?  Maybe it is...  I'm in Toronto so obviously I went to the 12th fret. 

Quote from: scotchtape on March 30, 2007, 09:28:19 AM
I've played a few SC guitars and was quite impressed by the sound.  Maybe it's just me but they did seem a little flimsy... I haven't made any judgments on their guitars and they do sound great, it's just that the workmanship on the one's I have played didn't seem that great.

Just out of curiousity, what part of the workmanship didn't seem that great?

I guess the SC's are lighter, but so is my Larrivee compared to a Taylor dread.
I think my Guild is overbuilt, but it still sounds great. It's heavy.
One comment Parlor Picker made is very true. It's hard to beat at good sounding, Canadian made Larrivee OM-03.
That's just me.