best guitar for around 500 and 2000

Started by jhwang123, October 18, 2006, 11:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

hey guys. I was interested in buying a 2nd guitar that i can feel comfortable enough to take it to the mountains or whatnot. I've been looking at blueridges alot and seems like they're a good deal! So i was wondering if u guys could help me out for which guitars probably best in your opinion for 500.

as for the 2000 guitar, my dear friend whos pretty experience is looking for his next guitar as well. hes been really into the martin hd-28. if u guys can, could u also tell me what u guys think about a great guitar for 2000?

I played with my friend's Takamine.it was the G ...something.i can't remember exactly.although i don't have played with many guitars,the takamine was sound good to me.also,i played  at a music store ,a simon n' patrick.I think this guitar was better than takamine.i don't know if it is in your price range.take a look at it if you can.
finaly, i see good reviews about tanglewood at these prices.but i have not hear them personaly.just another sugestion.
just try as many as you can.it's all matter of taste in the end.
As for the 2000 guitar,i also asked the forum what they sugest to me.from all i read,larrivee ,martin ,lakewood are among the best.of course ,there are other brands to see.I am going for these three ,because where i live ,we don't have many guitar stores

Tough question, because there are quite a lot of 'best' guitars at the $500 price point.  And an amazing number at the $2K point.  At the latter, its more about nuanced features and the selection is truly amazing.

Try to expand your selection criteria significantly beyond the price, and then play everything you can get your hands on that fall into those catagories.
What style music are you going to play on it?
body style?
scale length?
top material?
back and sides material?
nut width?
cut-away?
onboard electronics?

Then enjoy the process of finding the one that really speaks to you.
Have fun.

I think you should try to push for another 100 or so, so that you can pick up a used larrive 03, 'bout the best deal you can get.

As for your friend that already has an HD28 and likes the sound, I would suggest getting another martin or martin clones (bourgeois, Collings...etc).  I dont know I think either a used bourgeois OMC, or a new OOO 28 Eric clapton would be cool.  unless he wants Larrivee, then I think he may consider something like an SD-50 which is a dreadnought but much more punchier and brighter (for Finger style), or something like an L10 if he likes rosewood.  Eitherway, the Larrivees will cost significantly less than 2000.
Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon

thanks guy. just to make my unclear exp a little bit clearer, i have a larrivee d03-re. i gotta admit they have a great sound. for 500 dollars, i'd like another guitar that i feel jhust as happy with. not a too bright guitar though.

as for my friend who wants a 2000 guitar, he likes a deeper full sound of a martin. i heard huss and daltons are also very good.

I'd grab an OM-02 off ebay, great guitars, and the smaller size would be better for toting around to mountains, camping etc.  There is one now for $450 opening bid, they sometimes go for $400-500 See Here   Now if even that is too nice for your travel guitar, then I'd just save some dough and pickup up one of the older red label Nippon Gakki Yamaha guitars, like an FG-75, FG-75 or FG-180.  Yes, they are ply construction, but are very solid, have good tone and have a great reputation, take those anywhere and feel no remorse. :thumb

As far as a $2000 guitar??  I won't be going there anytime soon myself, but if dreads are your thing, I'd surely be looking at either a used Huss & Dalton like this one: CLICK HERE   or you can also sometimes find a used Collings D-1 for about two grand.   Another killer guitar for about 2 grand is the Martin D-18GE, one of the few Martins that can get my attention anymore, killer mahogany dread.  Their regular production D-18 and D-28, even the HD models just seem so mediocre these days, esp for the $ they are charging, I'd go used H&D or Collings any day, but their D-18GE is a sweetie. 
D-02E

I got my 1991 Kazuo Yairi signature Alvarez DY45 six string for under 500 and I play it more often than my Gibson Hummingbird. Sweet sounds, play it hard play it soft it doesn't care. Always sounds great. Easy to write with. Difference is I wouldn't take my Gib to the moutains. I take the Yairi EVERYWHERE. I've played Martins, Guilds, Washburns, but by far this little Alvarez has easily become my best friend over the years.
Big John

I suggest hanging around the UMGF buy and sell.  Great deals from excellent, trustworthy sellers.

You have to narrow down the criteria though.  Play style etc.
Peter
creestudios.com
Art Guitars and more

In the $500 range, you may want to look at the Guild GAD series. I have a GAD-30R that is really nice. They are about $750 new but can be had in the $500 range used.

Jim

As far as a good "utility" guitar under 500 bucks, you may want to consider an Alvarez AD80SSB (really nice looking sunburst and part of the Alvarez Artist series) or the AD70S (also the Artist series). They are both solid tops, so you still need to be a little careful about dramatic changes in humidity. You could get the guitar as well as a professional set-up for under 500 with either of these guitars. Out of all the inexpensive guitars I've played, Alvarez is my favorite. Anyway, if I needed another "beater" guitar, I'd go for the AD80SSB :guitar.
Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3

takamine has one helluva selection in that range. i just took my old tak on a camping trip over the weekend.

Don't laugh:
500- Try a Blueridge BR-140 or 160.
2000- H&D DM (or maybe a Martin D-18V)

What is scary is how many guitars in this price range can actually sound very similar.  The last thing you should check is the price tag.
Larry

<1 or 2 nice ones>

For a low end guitar I think it's hard to beat an Alvarez. I don't think I've ever heard a bad one and they do a very good job on setup before delivery. My $200 RD20S has tone and volume all out of porportion to it's price. It has all the hallmarks of  cheap asian guitar build, very thick sloppy glossy finish, very skinny neck, tight string spacing,  sloppy bridge pin placement, cheap tuners, etc, Still I love to play it because it sounds so good.  In the 2K range things get more interesting. It's worth it to do some homework and get out and play as many as possible before deciding. I am very partial to H&D guitars. My standard DM is a treasure. I agree with the advise you are getting about checking out a used Collings or Martin D18GE although the price on them is more likely to be a few hundred over $2K. If your friend is partial to Rosewood it may be hard to fing a Collings or H&D used for less than $2500 or more. New ones will easily top 3K. You may find a used Santa Cruz D/PW for around 2K. I was very impressed with the one I auditioned recently. A Martin HD28 is a good guitar but there is a lot of variability in the 28 series.  A few are stellar, most are OK, and a few are not very impressive. I would not consider one if I couldn't play it first. I think it's harder for anyone to build a great sounding Rosewood guitar than a mahogany guitar. 

My 2 cents...

$500 range - The Washburn J28SDL, Blueridge BG140 and BG160 are the best guitars in existence IMHO.
$2000 range - The choices here are huge.  A couple: Larrivee L-09, Guild F50
www.grantcyster.com

Larrivee J-05 Jumbo
Taylor 815 Jumbo
American Series Custom Stratocaster

the key to finding a great guitar for a great price is 1) patience and 2) having cash in hand when the deal comes your way. i paid just over 5 bills for my larrivee blackwood dread. i waited and waited for THE best deal and when i found it, i took it.  my larrivee is one of the finest guitars ive ever played and is certainly the finest guitar ive ever owned.

my personal view is that there is no point in spending up to $2k on a guitar when there are literally tons of them out there for under a grand that will make a great lifetime instrument for any serious player. it just takes patince to find the deals, but they are out there.

Don't leave out Tacoma guitars. For less than $500 you can get an American made, all solid guitar in mint condition quite regularly. There is a DM9 on eBay in pristine condition for $300. Looks to be a real bargain and has some great woods and a beautiful, silk top. Hard to call it a beater, but at that price you can take it on the road, sound good and not worry about spending too much.

1997 Tacoma PM20
2001 Tacoma C5C Chief
2004 Tacoma EMM30 Forum Guitar
2006 Tacoma VECK40C

Tacoma Guitar Forum

Quote from: bigmo on November 28, 2006, 11:47:56 PM
Don't leave out Tacoma guitars. For less than $500 you can get an American made, all solid guitar in mint condition quite regularly. There is a DM9 on eBay in pristine condition for $300. Looks to be a real bargain and has some great woods and a beautiful, silk top. Hard to call it a beater, but at that price you can take it on the road, sound good and not worry about spending too much.


Tacomas are THE REAL DEAL.  I was really hoping that they would take their place alongside the great guitar makers of our time, but they are getting harder and harder to find it seems.  I guitar like that for 3 bills is insane. 

Quote from: the_sound_of_acoustic_soul on November 29, 2006, 01:00:48 AM
Tacomas are THE REAL DEAL.  I was really hoping that they would take their place alongside the great guitar makers of our time, but they are getting harder and harder to find it seems.  I guitar like that for 3 bills is insane. 

Fender (love'm or hate 'em) has a way of re-inventing brands, but it takes time. They are doing great things with Guild and hopefully Tacoma will emerge. Here's a pic of a DM9

1997 Tacoma PM20
2001 Tacoma C5C Chief
2004 Tacoma EMM30 Forum Guitar
2006 Tacoma VECK40C

Tacoma Guitar Forum

Quote from: bigmo on November 28, 2006, 11:47:56 PM
Don't leave out Tacoma guitars. For less than $500 you can get an American made, all solid guitar in mint condition quite regularly. There is a DM9 on eBay in pristine condition for $300. Looks to be a real bargain and has some great woods and a beautiful, silk top. Hard to call it a beater, but at that price you can take it on the road, sound good and not worry about spending too much.



:ph34r:

It is on ebay for $300 as a starting bid with a $50 shipping with 6 day left. 

DM9_W0QQitemZ300054725932QQihZ020QQcategoryZ2385QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I imagine you will pay at least $500 for that guitar

Powered by EzPortal