what if you had a custom guitar built.....

Started by Caleb, September 20, 2006, 11:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

....and you didnt like it?

was just wondering. i'd like to get a custom built one day, and i know i'd have a "sound" in my head that i'd be looking for....but what to do if the guitar you paid so much for....and waited so long for....just didn't cut the mustard?

anyone ever had this experience?

the custom luthiers i remember had pretty much the same deal concerning their guitars.  once you receive the guitar you have a trail period to allow you to test drive the guitar.  if you decide the guitar just doesn't suit your desires you can return the guitar for a refund but you may take a loss on the down payment and or if the luthier has to undo some personalised options so he/she can resell the guitar.  i would imagine the lutheirs have wait times of varying lengths but the ones i remember were over a year or so but the one on one relationship with the luthier can make the wait worth it.

i was going to go the route of a custom luthier but decided on the safer risk, lowest cost, shortest wait time route by going through baffalo bros for my custom goodall parlor since i traded in my goodall 000 for the parlor and can still trade-in my custom parlor at a latter time but the parlor is by far the sweetest guitar i've ever played with absolutely perfect worksmanship and is mine for good.   i ordered my goodall in may 06 and got it in late aug.  the downside was i didn't have any one on one contact with goodall and the options available were more limited compared to a custom luthier. 

the APM forum has some fine custom luthiers that sponsor the site that you can check out.

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor

Actually, that did happen to me.  I had a custom SJ made by John Mayes and, though it was one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen, once I got it it quickly became apparent it just wasn't the right one.  I'd really picked the wrong size...to small for the way I play and the sound just didn't do it.

What I ended up doing is sending it back to him (he loved the guitar and really wanted it for himself) and worked a deal with him where he's giving me the credit for the guitar (not what I payed for it, of course...I had the guitar for over a year) and applying it towards a different type that he's going to make for me.  Hopefully, it'll work out ok.
Phil

"History is something that never happened, written by someone who wasn't there."

R. Taylor Style 1 WR
Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
Taylor GS Custom
Taylor PG-LTD
Taylor 600-SPEC
Taylor 510-LTD
Taylor 510 Cocobolo
Taylor 412-M

Quote from: flaggerphil on September 21, 2006, 03:44:36 AM
Actually, that did happen to me.  I had a custom SJ made by John Mayes and, though it was one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen, once I got it it quickly became apparent it just wasn't the right one.  I'd really picked the wrong size...to small for the way I play and the sound just didn't do it.

What I ended up doing is sending it back to him (he loved the guitar and really wanted it for himself) and worked a deal with him where he's giving me the credit for the guitar (not what I payed for it, of course...I had the guitar for over a year) and applying it towards a different type that he's going to make for me.  Hopefully, it'll work out ok.

Wow. A direct trade in with the luthier after one year. That is impressive. He really went a long way to help you eventually get what pleases you most. I've read some of John's posts and would love to see his instructional DVDs.

Luthiers are generally understanding people, and they want their customers to be happy.  I think in most cases, buyers usually are.  And they know that happy customers often buy more guitars.

I'd probably order from a luthier I could visit first, either at his shop or at a show, and try some of his guitars.
2005 Larrivée LV-03RE
2003 Larrivée Rosewood Special Edition Parlor
1998 Fender American Std Stratocaster
1991 Vantage VS-5 (beater)

I have a couple I love.  You have to chose a luthier that has a signiture sound and usually acheives it.
Peter
creestudios.com
Art Guitars and more