Shipping guitars

Started by laughingskunk, January 10, 2006, 12:56:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

I am planning on selling my walnut parlor and was wondering who members recommend for shipping. Looks like I am going to send it to Canada. Any company better for this in any members experience. Also am looking for reasonable price and decent service. Hate to think of anything happening to it, especially in this cold weather. Appreciate any input. Thanks Patrick
CA Bluegrass Performer, Larrivee D-02 (sapele),  Martin LXK2 \"If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane"

Hello Patrick
Well in the last six months I have had a GREAT deal of experience with shipping guitars across the Pacific between the US, oh and Canada, and Australia, and my two cents:   if you are going across a border, give Fed Ex very serious consideration. I know it's horrible to talk about possible damage in transit, but if the dirty is done to you along the way, many people, including myself, have very high praise for Fed Ex's insurance claims procedure. They won't put you through torture to deal with the matter!

FedEx gets my vote as well. Never had a problem...they did all of mine
2006 Larrivee P-05
1971 Guild D-50
1972 Yamaha FG180

In a study of shipping breakable items conducted by Consumer Reports several years back, the US Postal Service came out well ahead of both UPS and FedEx.  I have been using USPO as much as possible, and with something smaller like a parlor guitar it would meet their size requirements.  You can check rates on the website.

E. Shoaf

FedEx gets my vote as well.  In fact, KDonovan will be receiving my/his JV-05E today thanks to FedEx.

But one nit to pick:  they seem to not bother scanning the box every day so tracking it via the Internet is not possible.  For Kevin's JV, it got scanned last in Portland, OR then five days later in Orlando, FL.  Maybe it was in constant motion?  Doubt it.

USPO is pricey.  UPS would be my second choice.
Play it daily for best results.

Quote from: prof_stack on January 10, 2006, 09:56:48 AM
FedEx gets my vote as well.  In fact, KDonovan will be receiving my/his JV-05E today thanks to FedEx.

But one nit to pick:  they seem to not bother scanning the box every day so tracking it via the Internet is not possible.  For Kevin's JV, it got scanned last in Portland, OR then five days later in Orlando, FL.  Maybe it was in constant motion?  Doubt it.

USPO is pricey.  UPS would be my second choice.

From my experience, the updates are done each time the box changes location. For ground shipping this can mean that a box is in the same truck for a few days and won't get scanned again until it gets to a depot.

When you have anew guitar on the way, and you are checking status every few minutes :GRN>, not seeing any updates for a few days can be unnerving.
Ron


Tracking can be fun, but is usually frustrating    :UND>

Kdonovan shipped my Blackwood  from Florida.  Tracking showed the drop off.        Then  nothing for 6 days. 
Finally  scanned in  Portland,  OR.  It must have been on the same truck all that time...   glad it got here     :GRN>

So  Which shipper  UPS or  FEDEX     ,     I  am shipping my Parlor to Larrivee tommorw am .

phill    :mellow:
L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person

Quote from: Daysailer on January 10, 2006, 10:33:30 PM
Tracking can be fun, but is usually frustrating    :UND>

Kdonovan shipped my Blackwood  from Florida.  Tracking showed the drop off.        Then  nothing for 6 days. 
Finally  scanned in  Portland,  OR.  It must have been on the same truck all that time...   glad it got here     :GRN>

So  Which shipper  UPS or  FEDEX     ,     I  am shipping my Parlor to Larrivee tommorw am .

phill    :mellow:

UPS provides better tracking for ground shipments. Usually with a max of 2 days between tracking entries. I'm told the reason that Fedex doesn't provide as much detailed tracking is that much Fedex ground frequently goes by air, on a space-available basis. ie, the package will sit at an air forwarding location for a couple of days, then catch a flight to near the the destination in time for scheduled delivery, or actually be shipped to nearby right away, and then sit until delivery schedule time. :UND>

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

I've shipped many guitars via the good old USPS.  You can buy the safeguards that you need, insurance, confirmations etc.  I dunno, sometimes simple is better.  I have not had one dissatisfied buyer.

Finalannsa

There have been several extensive threads about this on APM.  Seems most find Fedex easier to deal with if you have a claim.  If I was shipping a very valuable guitar I would play it safe and get heritage to insure it, but for most I tend not to worry about it.

-josh
Larrivee P-03MT
Martin 00
Epiphone Bluesmaster

FedEx ground, I ship all my guitar via FedEx Ground in the US. I have only had one problem in all the years and FedEx resolved it in one week. Great service. It is also faster and cheaper than UPS. For international I us the post office Air Mail to most countries. Box size can be an issue to some countries, check on line for sizes.  I shipped two the the UK last week and had to cut the boxes down to 47" long.  The cold is not the big danger, rapid changes in temp. and humidity are. DO NOT OPEN WHEN COLD!!!  let the box warm to the touch then remove the case from the box. Let the case warm to the touch them open the case. Well take several hours if the box is frozen. It is hard but worth not damaging the guitar.
Quote from: jwieties on January 11, 2006, 12:42:28 PM
If I was shipping a very valuable guitar I would play it safe and get heritage to insure it, but for most I tend not to worry about it.
-josh
Heritage is a great company to deal with. I have my business insurance with them. Check them out if you want to insure your guitars.


Jim Holler, Luthier
Trinity Guitars
www.TrinityGuitars.com

Quotemuch Fedex ground frequently goes by air, on a space-available basis. ie, the package will sit at an air forwarding location for a couple of days, then catch a flight to near the the destination in time for scheduled delivery, or actually be shipped to nearby right away, and then sit until delivery schedule time.

Well here's evidence to support Randy's story...

I have been waitng for a guitar that was shipped cross-country to me via UPS. When I checked the tracking site yesterday and didn't see any movement I contacted their support desk. I was told that the guitar should have reached me last Friday. I think that was said in error.

Today when I checked the site it indicated that it had arrived at the local terminal and was awaiting delivery "on the scheduled date". When I contacted the support desk again they indicated that the scheduled date was the 17th! Apparently the stated terms for the service selected by the shipper was 9 business days (making the 17th correct).

I asked if I could go to the terminal to pick it up. They checked with a supervisor and said "sure"! So I did.  :GRN>

Had I not done a little detective work I would have received the guitar next Tuesday. That's a long time away when you are waiting for a guitar.  :WNK>
Ron


I sent a fellow a bank check on December 30th. Its now Jan-11, or 13 days later, and he hasn't received the check. So, I'm going to have to get a replacement bank check, resend it, and then wait for the delivery. argh... 
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Well folks thanks for all the input. I checked out Fedex, but it was more expensive for me to send to Canada. Went with good old UPs which was pretty reasonable, even including the insurance I purchased for it. Was told should arrive to buyer in 3-7 business days.Hope all goes well. Patrick
CA Bluegrass Performer, Larrivee D-02 (sapele),  Martin LXK2 \"If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane"

Powered by EzPortal