Beer!

Started by roknroll, December 18, 2005, 04:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ok, so as I'm sipping on some fine irish stout, beamishes, I'm thinking to myself, wow, I enjoy "testing" out beers just as much(well, maybe not quite as much)as I like testing out a fine high end solid wood guitar.  So who is with me on this one, who enjoys drinking a good stout?  I know I had some thread a while back about beers etc, but I just tried out a new irish stout, Beamishes to be exact, and I'm wondering what you fine fellows thought of this beer?  I find it to be a little weaker and not as complex as guinness, but it is still a fine stout.  Scroll up.  Did I say sipping?  I'm actually drinking this stuff quite fast, in huge gulps.  Sipping is for bourbon, which I've been doing a lot of lately as well, so I guess I just used the wrong wording.  Anyways, let me know what you guys think.   -Andrew

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

 A Guinness fan here!!!!
Ian
Larrivee L-05[brGitane' DG-300 & DG-250 ] 2009 Fender RW Telecaster (Barden pickups/bridge)
97 Telecaster Plus
87 Telecaster
01 Warmoth Tele
 
01 Danelectro Baritone
  DR.Z MAZ 38 SR,
Visual Sound Route 66/H2o[Breedlove 00 Mandolin,Banjo's,

"...never could stand that dog..."Tom Waits

Three cheers for Beers!!!

My current favorite is Amber Bach.  I know - I'm a wimp. 

Here's a beer story for you.   My son was playing this new simulation game on his PC.  You're in charge of setting up this medieval town: building forts, homes, tannerys, sending out scouts, training soldiers, etc.  He's usually very good at these types of games but this one is giving him fits.  Every time a rival group shows up they kick his butt.  He gets extremely frustrated, and quits playiing (this game) for months.
One day I ask him, hows that medeival sim game going and he says, figured it out, I beat it.  How? I ask.  He says "BEER!  You have to build a brewery and serve beer to keep your troops happy!"  We had a good laugh over that one.

David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Was that game Age of Empires?   Man, amber bach?  I got a sixer of that about a month ago... at first, I thought it actually had some taste, then I realized it was all in my head, and it tasted exactly like any other Anheiser Busch beer.

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

Quote from: roknroll on December 18, 2005, 06:12:36 PM
Was that game Age of Empires? 
Nope.  I just asked him - it was the Settlers.

Quote from: roknroll on December 18, 2005, 06:12:36 PM
Man, amber bach?  I got a sixer of that about a month ago... at first, I thought it actually had some taste..
To each his own.  I promise I won't make you drink any. : )
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

My two favorites at the moment are Guinness and Karl Strauss Amber Lager.
-Jeremy

hey, i used to drink Pearl.  mostly because it was real cheap,,,$2.49 a six pack ($2.69 during the summer :GRN>) and they had those little riddles on the bottle caps.
right now i would probably say a good dark beer,,,Dos Equis, Negro Modelo,,Beck is decent. but i've switched to trying out Green Teas, so i guess i'm the wimp on the board. :ph34r:

Guiness is the brew of choice, although I will have a Caffery's Irish Ale when I can find it.  Beamish is not bad although I've only had it out of a can, never found it on tap.  I will only drink Guiness on tap though.
Larrivee OMV-09
Washburn D-60 (Timber Ridge)
Yeilding Small body 12 fret custom built
Gretsch g2622
Rigel A+ Deluxe mandolin
Washburn M3S Mandolin

While Guinness is an awesome stout, and I drink it often enough, my usual beer is another stout brewed in Montreal.  It's available in my local convenience and grocery stores and it's called St Ambroise Oatmeal Stout.  I drink one of these almost every day.  MMMMmmmmmm~!!!!

http://www.mcauslan.com/en/products/stastout.html

Just awesome.

I've never been able to try it on tap as I don't go out to the bars too much any more.  I've heard it's even better on tap but I find that's often the case with beer. 

Those Guinness cans with the widgets are great but man, a nicely poured Guinness draft is outstanding.

If there are any stout fans out there that come to Canada, the St Ambroise is available in Ontario Brewers Retail outlets and, like I mentioned earlier, in most convenience and grocery stores in Quebec.  Give it a try, you will not be disappointed.


As an Ontarion, I'm a huge fan of Sleeman products. Usually the cream ale. 

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 19, 2005, 11:02:15 AM
As an Ontarion, I'm a huge fan of Sleeman products. Usually the cream ale. 

MMMMMmmmmm....Sleeman's Cream Ale...I like it more in the summer months but it's a great brew anytime.

Boddington's Oatmeal currently.
A friend does homebrew, he's doing a stout now that he has added nitrogen to his brewing equipment.

Stout beer- meal in a pint glass.
Gary

Jub welcome. NotRevG
The Dude abides.


I can't find sleemans around here anywhere.  I'm only about 2 hours south of chicago, so you would think they would have it this far north.  That beer sounds dang good, although I'm not a huge fan of ales.

PS...Nitrogen?  Does that produce the thick creamy head of a stout?

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

Quote from: roknroll on December 19, 2005, 12:24:46 PM
PS...Nitrogen?  Does that produce the thick creamy head of a stout?

Yessir.
The Dude abides.


Living in Montreal, I'm a fan of the McAuslan products, too, specially Griffon Red. I haven't yet tried the oatmeal stout.

Support your local brewery!
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

Quote from: LaminateBoy on December 19, 2005, 02:24:35 PM
Living in Montreal, I'm a fan of the McAuslan products, too, specially Griffon Red. I haven't yet tried the oatmeal stout.

Support your local brewery!

We have been blessed in Canada with many excellent microbreweries and medium sized brewers over the last 20 or so years.  I never drink Molson or Labatt anymore, ever.

Theres a scotish guy that lives here in peoria, that opened up his own brewery/bar.  He has these really great brews, with crazy names.  Honestly, hes kind of an -CENSORED-, and never says a word to his customers, and when he does speak, it's like "waddya want lad/lassie", in a sturn braveheartesque accent.  He terrifies me, but I love his beer.  It's kind of a love/hate thing whenever I go there.

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

I am sort of partial to Smithwicks ale
I call it Irish Gulping Beer
^_^
Larrivee D60
Taylor 422 Maple
Delux Tele Plus

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 19, 2005, 11:02:15 AM
As an Ontarion, I'm a huge fan of Sleeman products. Usually the cream ale. 

Honey Brown for me!
Brian M.

I'm drinking quite a few Northern Cream Ales these days as well. Northern Breweries out of the Soo and Sudbury. It's a premium beer but they've just dropped their prices. 12 Sleeman will cost me about $22.00 while the new price on the Northern is under $16.00. 

Powered by EzPortal