I-Beam Imix pickup questions

Started by Fergy07, November 17, 2005, 09:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I had an Ibeam Imix pickup installed on my new guitar. This model has the UST and the bridgeplate pickups, with sound hole controls. The unit sounds great, but if anything it is too great. When I plug in the guitar seems to sustain way too long at much too high of a level.  A couple of times one of the other guitarists had to reach over an dampen the strings when I wasn't paying attention and the guitar was still happily ringing the last open notes played.

I'm not using an external pre-amp since it is a powered unit, but would knocking down some of the signal at external device or filtering help? I have a K & K stereo preamp which would allow me some control in stereo mode. I also have a Gigpro which would allow me to adjust from there. However, is it a bad thing to double boost your signal (once internally, and then again externally)? My concern is blowing out the input diodes on the external unit.

Alternatively, I haven't played with the various pots on the inside of the guitar as I am leary of messing up a good thing. Has anyone modified the default settings on their unit.

It may be that the guitar wood is maple, which I am new to and even unplugged the guitar has tremendous sustain.

The low tech approach would be to just dampen the strings, but being an engineer I'd rather complicate the process.

Any ideas would woudl be much appreciated.

Andy
Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple

I would first see which pickup is picking it up by turning the dial all the way to the right or left when it does this.  My guess is its the Ibeam, you may want to adjust some of the settings like the low cut, and just mess with the others, I try to set the gain on the Ibeam to match the Element.  I would fiddle with the pots a little... of course set your amp and DI box eqs all to 12 O'Clock  :mellow:.

I always use a feedback buster with my guitar, it helps quite a bit when you have lots of other instruments.
05 Larrivee LV-05 (L.R. Baggs Imix)
03 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
99 Fender DG-24 MA
Mesa Boogie Road King II Head & Mesa Road King 2x12 Cab

I wouldn't be afraid of dialing in the best sound on the preamp.  You can alway mark down the current setting and go back to them.  The default setting is not going to be the best in every guitar, and may not be the sound you're looking for.

I use a LR Baggs Para DI, to give additional flexibility with EQ and cutting feedback.

I also use a volume pedal.  That way when I'm not playing, I can easily cut the volume from my Guitar.
Bing

Larrivee J-09FM
Taylor 814ce
Music Man Axis SS w/piezo

I'm taking it then, that you both drive your active pickups into a DI? I was concerned about over driving the imputs on the DI...do you need to lower anything on the DI to get a clean tone?

Andy
Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple

I don't use a DI, as far as over driving them I'm not sure :UND>
05 Larrivee LV-05 (L.R. Baggs Imix)
03 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
99 Fender DG-24 MA
Mesa Boogie Road King II Head & Mesa Road King 2x12 Cab

Quote from: Fergy07 on November 18, 2005, 10:20:09 AM
I'm taking it then, that you both drive your active pickups into a DI? I was concerned about over driving the imputs on the DI...do you need to lower anything on the DI to get a clean tone?

Andy

I just set the gain on the Para DI, so that I'm not over driving the board.  I get better tone going through the Para DI, than without.
Bing

Larrivee J-09FM
Taylor 814ce
Music Man Axis SS w/piezo