Bband A2.2 volume issues?

Started by Redeemed, September 25, 2005, 09:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

For all those with the A2.2 system...  were there ever any issues with the gain not being sufficient enough? (particularly when going through a PA system.. like at church, etc)

And if so... how did you remedy the situation?

thanks,

-dan
2005 Larrivée OM-03
2013 Larrivée P-03 Koa

My Boss is a Jewish carpenter  <ixoye><

I get a ton of gain from my A2.2s?  Have you turned the trim pots on the preamp to the fully clockwise position?  These are used to set the master balance between the AST & UST, but if they are turned down, it would cut the overall volume.

Is the volume for both the AST & UST affected?

Do you have volume issues with all the strings, or are particular strings louder than others?  This would indicate an issue with the bottom of the saddle not being set flat against the saddle slot in the bridge (most often remedied by sanding the bottom of the saddle completely flat.
Bing

Larrivee J-09FM
Taylor 814ce
Music Man Axis SS w/piezo

thanks bing,

I'll check out the gain pots... I'm pretty sure that may be the problem, I don't think I set them all the way clockwise. 

-dan
2005 Larrivée OM-03
2013 Larrivée P-03 Koa

I've noticed "humming" coming from mine.  In my other guitar, I just had a Fishman Matrix Natural installed and it was perfectly quiet.  The owners manual for the A2.2 that came with my Larrivee didnt really have a lot of information.  Any idea where I can get some more info?

Thanks!
Larrivee` LV-10
Alvarez 5056 - Tree of Life
Takamine G Series 12 String

You might want to use the contact information on their web site.

http://www.b-band.com/contact.php

They used to have a forum, but I guess it bit the dust.
Bing

Larrivee J-09FM
Taylor 814ce

So are these pickups ACTIVE or PASSIVE?  I'm assuming ACTIVE, but you know what assuming means!
:WNK>
Larrivee` LV-10

Yes they are active.  The preamp velcros inside the guitar.  It mixes the signal between the UST and AST, so that it is mono out.
Bing

Larrivee J-09FM
Taylor 814ce

Guys (and gals) thanks!  This forum has been VERY helpful.  First in helping me decide on choosing a guitar and second in support.  I read on this site (somewhere) about turning the pots on the preamp all the way clockwise.  I guess the guy who installed this one thought counterclockwise.  :rolleyes: 

Anyway, I turned them both clockwise, and it sounds great and with a lot of volume. 

Thanks!
Larrivee` LV-10

Do you really turn the pots all the way up?  I would think the pick ups would be way too hot.
Mike <><

Well per things I've read, turn them clockwise and then turn down if needed. 

http://www.b-band.com/guitar-systems/installation-a2.2.php

Section #4
Larrivee` LV-10

Quote from: MJG on October 10, 2005, 06:18:53 PM
Do you really turn the pots all the way up?  I would think the pick ups would be way too hot.

The pots on the preamp are turned all the way up to start with and then adjusted to balance the AST/UST balance.

There are also volume and mix controls at the soundhole.  I use this volume control to set the overall volume level.  I generally only turn this volume control 1/3 to 1/2 the way up.
Bing

Larrivee J-09FM
Taylor 814ce

Thanks folks...

Hey Bing - why do you have your XOM unit on the back of your guitar instead of the side on the inside of the upper waist?  Just curious.  Also, what are your gain settings at for both the UST and AST?

Thanks again,
Mike
Mike <><

Quote from: MJG on October 11, 2005, 04:34:26 PM
Thanks folks...

Hey Bing - why do you have your XOM unit on the back of your guitar instead of the side on the inside of the upper waist?  Just curious.  Also, what are your gain settings at for both the UST and AST?

Thanks again,
Mike

That way I can adjust the trim pots, without loosening the strings.  The 1st one I had installed was installed that way and I guess, I just did the same thing, when I installed mine.

Both of mine are wide open, but I may back the AST side down some.  Right now I get my best mix with the mix knob at about 70% toward the UST side.
Bing

Larrivee J-09FM
Taylor 814ce

My L-09e came from the factory with the preamp box installed on the back as well.  However, on the bband website, the pictures show the preamps installed on the interior side of the guitar..  hmm.... ya think there's a huge difference one way or the other?? any audible differences unplugged?  I know that the back and sides usually just add color to the overall tone produced by the top of the guitar.. so my guess is that the placement of the preamp really shouldn't effect the tone much (as long as it's not placed on the interior top--spruce--of the guitar, of course :WNK>).  Any thoughts?

-dan
2005 Larrivée OM-03
2013 Larrivée P-03 Koa

I've had this exact same issue; I play in a duo and my Taylor-playing partner definitely gets a hotter signal from his guitar -- in a few cases, so much so that we wondered if we were getting any signal at all. We were -- it just took a little more volume from the PA. But I haven't messed at all with the sensitivity adjustments on my A2.2 yet, but I plan to. I too have to balance my pickups much closer to one than the other to level out some of the really high-end trebley frequencies -- but it's fine; I always find a nice balance. I'm still a little confused over whether this is an adjustment to the little screws on the "curcuit board" part of the pickup, or if it's an adjustment just inside the 1/4" plug-in... I'm assuming my manual will answer that though! And hey, just for the record, I never received a reply at all from B-Band a few months back when I e-mailed them about this issue.

A timely topic for me. Thanks!
- SL
  Proud LV-03E owner since 2004

Just in case anyone is wondering what is the correct placement for the preamp, here is my official reply from B-band.

Hello Mike,

It makes no difference where you install the preamp. According to the instructions it should be on the side of the guitar. I prefer it on the back so it's easier to adjust the gain controls if needed.

Pekka Rintala

B-Band, Inc.
Mike <><

the A2 in someway kinda too trebly for my 12 strings...dont like it much ....just bought the LR Baggs and installed it on my CORT NTL20 ..so clean and natural...good outpost as well. Also the K&K pure western pickup will be on my C-03 soon.
Larrivee C-03RE 97' (fishman stereo blender)
Trace acoustic amp TA50R
Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum
Samson airline UHF guitar wireless system
Max Lucado Devotional Bible