Who has lost their voice

Started by Walkerman, February 09, 2018, 04:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We know that as you age, your singing voice loses range ... unless you are Paul McCartney. 
Which singers have lost the most.
I would nominate Paul Simon and Elton John.

Why? Did you find one? I could use it if it's better than the one I have. Actually, my voice is better than it's ever been. I've lost some range but gained some resonance and can use what I have to better effect.

www.reverbnation.com/thomaslee4/song/29195122-talkin-to-myself

Hasn't happened to me yet...born in 57
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Just turned 68 and I notice I don't have the voice I once had.  I was never what you'd call a great singer to begin with but I've lost quite a bit over the past couple of years.  As a result I don't enjoy singing as much these days.   

Take Leonard Cohen. You could certainly argue that, while he lost a lot of range, he became a much better singer. 

Actually, I am referring to famous singers, not forumites.

Quote from: Walkerman on February 12, 2018, 07:23:17 PM
Actually, I am referring to famous singers, not forumites.

McCartney still sings awfully well for someone who's lost his voice. "New" is a very good album. But what do you have against forumites?  :wink: 

I lost mine last month when I had the flu.

Mrs TLP2 noted that it was a huge improvement.   :laughin:

And, for the record, I never was a famous singer.

Quote from: ducktrapper on February 13, 2018, 08:21:57 AM
McCartney still sings awfully well for someone who's lost his voice. "New" is a very good album. But what do you have against forumites?  :wink: 
p

Actually, I specifically mentioned McCartney has not lost his voice.  I have nothing against forumites, but since I haven't heard them sing over the years, their voices are moot to me, at least as regards my question.  I am more curious about which famous artists have lost, or maintained, their voices.

OK, I'll be good.
Just a couple of not-losts (in my opinion):

Johnny Cash (My Mother's Hymn Book)
Neil Young (A Letter Home)

and of course,
the Lost and Found Award must go to:

Levon Helm (Dirt Farmer).

OH.  And kinda recently saw David Crosby for the "Lighthouse" album tour.
He's still got it!

:)

Quote from: Walkerman on February 13, 2018, 07:41:03 PM
p

Actually, I specifically mentioned McCartney has not lost his voice.  I have nothing against forumites, but since I haven't heard them sing over the years, their voices are moot to me, at least as regards my question.  I am more curious about which famous artists have lost, or maintained, their voices.

Just kind of pulling your leg a little Steve. You`re too easy and way too serious sometimes.  :cheers

I love the songs and the music of Gordon Lightfoot. Saw him live at Massey Hall in Toronto back in my college days (early 70's)

However, his voice over the last few years does not have nearly the impact that it did in his glory years.

I adore his early stuff, but I just can't listen to his recent efforts.

I WILL ALWAYS be a fan!!

James Taylor and Paul Simon come to mind

John Fogarty (75) still has his voice - which was ALWAYS amazing.

Gordon Lightfoot (81) has lost a lot of the power and uniqueness of his voice. Still love his stuff. But live (YT videos over the past few years) it's not the same.

:coffee :donut
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I'm surprised that Paul McCartney was mentioned as still having his voice.  While I think he is one of the most brilliant songwriters of all time and in his prime, a simply iconic voice, it just isn't the same or even close any longer.  In fact, if you were blindfolded you would probably not be able to place who it is singing a new song, not one of the volumes of hits from his past.

He particpated in that big concert from home a month or so ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUL7K7RQ8HM

Music starts at 1:00 mark
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud