OM-40 factory repair timeline

Started by Riverbend, July 03, 2019, 05:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My OM-40 has some fret issues and my local dealer is sending it back to the mothership for repairs. The local shop has had it for two weeks and I happened to stop in today to see what was up with it as I was originally told they would do the work in house. I was hoping to have it back for an annual gig the first weekend in August but I'm thinking that might be a stretch. Anyone famiar with factory repair timelines lately?
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Jean was doing most of the repairs, last I heard, and the timeline was dependent on his schedule.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on July 03, 2019, 08:56:39 PM
Jean was doing most of the repairs, last I heard, and the timeline was dependent on his schedule.
I appreciate the comment, and thinking Jean might be the one doing the work. I'm sadly resigned to the likelihood of not having my OM-40 for a while. Doesn't help that the local shop has had it with no motion for two weeks but I guess, in the end, the two weeks will seem insignificant.   
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Soliver Pancake Mandolin

The OM-40 is back home, as I've decided to have a local luthier do the work at my expense. It really needs a set-up, as well, as the action is high to the point that I can't even play it comfortably anymore. I tried tweaking the truss rod myself but it seemed to have no effect. Hopefully the luthier can address the frets that are rising without too much difficulty, which was the sole warranty issue. The things that really tipped me away from sending it to the factory? The biggest was the factory disclaimer that the dealer showed me and needed me to acknowledge before they'd ship the guitar. Made it sound all too likely that I'd be reaching in my pocket to pay, based on a determination made solely by the factory. Second was the timeframe. If it took three weeks just to get initial approval, no telling how long it'd take to be repaired and returned.
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Soliver Pancake Mandolin

I know we're all supposed to cheerlead here, so apologies in advance, but my 2013 warranty experience was mixed. My frets had floated up as well, and there was a odd  sanding glitch on the back that needed refinishing, the bridge was lifting and had gaps under it. They decided that one or the other (frets? I think) wasn't going to be covered by the warranty, but I went along with a small service fee to get the finish repaired.

It took months! And I think I was told that Jean did the repairs also which I find odd that they can't find anyone else in the building knowledgeable enough to do repairs.

When I finally got it back they neglected to charge me for any of the repairs they said wasn't covered - I assume in embarrassment for how long it took and how many times they told me "just a few more weeks." The free repair and shipping worked to buy my silence for 6 years but I hope the factory has improved on their warranty service.

Lesson learned for me is that a "life time" warranty is essentially worthless if the customer service isn't good.

I think you did the right thing to take yours to someone local. Hope you get it set up to your liking soon!
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Dropping it off tomorrow morning about an hour's drive away. Highly recommended luthier, usually turns these around in a matter of days.
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Soliver Pancake Mandolin