RS2 History Lesson

Started by Tio Kimo, October 31, 2012, 01:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Matthew Larrivee on November 02, 2012, 03:26:01 PM
It's only been a couple of years, but I already strain to remember it all :>
Additional Notes:
- The tuners changed from schallers/pings to klusons sometime around generation 4 but there was no definitive cross over point.
Can't say I recall seeing an RS 2 with something other than Kluson :?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

One of my RS-2s came with Larrivee ping tuners with ivroid buttons.

Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!

Gents....considered starting a new thread, but since my question pertains to identifying different progressions of the RS-2, I figured this would serve well.

I'm considering a P90 equipped RS-2. Reading Matthews overview, it seems to me that the RS-2 shown on the company website is still Gen5, with the upper bout pickup selector and glued on PG. Does anyone here have photos of Gen6, with a fender style selector switch in the control cavity and a screwed on PG?

I've been wanting a P90 equipped guitar for some time. I have an amp that I think would be off the hook with a set. Have looked at a couple different guitars for this, but with the love I have for my Gen3 RS-2 with ML buckers.....I can't see why I'd spend more for some cookie cutter mass produced guitar when one of these can fit the bill.

Show 'em if you got 'em.   :gotpics: :thumb
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - Eliot

2004 LV-03/Fishman Ellipse
2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

honorable mentions: Heritage 535, Bourgeois/Washburn D55 "Cherokee"

Quote from: Cybercanyon on December 11, 2012, 06:40:18 PM
One of my RS-2s came with Larrivee ping tuners with ivroid buttons.

Looks like one of mine was from around the same time ( if the ser # means anything) and its a Gen 3 with Klusons
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

And a Friend of mine with the lowest Gen 3 serial # that I have seen which has both Klusons and P90's. Thus from my viewpoint I find Matthews post a little confusing  :blush:

Well, that still makes sense to me, JFNS.....

If the Gen 3 began as gloss/buckers/ping and ended gloss/buckers(few P90)/kluson, then your buddies is still consistant with being a Gen 3. If its satin/P90/kluson, it's simply a Gen4.

Mine is Gloss/buckers/Kluson....which seems to be the most common/typical Gen3.

The only guitar I've seen with the dbl knob/f-style 3 way is Mikey's triple P90, and it's got no guard. Aside from that it meets Matt's Gen6 description. the photos on the site definately match the Gen5 description to a T

The RS-2 I'm looking at is all Gen5, BUT for the fact that it's got screws on the pickguard, making it one of the "hybrids" he's refers to.

I wonder if this is how Darwin felt??  :wacko:

Generation 3 - Was the first mahogany slab based RS-2. It was a slab mahogany body (Both 1 and 2 piece bodies were made). It featured gloss finish, and two un-covered humbuckers. Other than the pickup cover being removed, the pickup is identical. Due to D'marzio's rediculous "Double Cream" trademark, there were no versions with double cream pickups. The colors were simple earth tones (Amber, Trans-Red, Black, Tobacco). There may have been a few made with P-90's but I dont remember.

Generation 4 - The RS-2 became a satin finish model, now with P-90's standard.

Additional Notes:
- There are probably a few hybrids between gen 5 and 6
- The tuners changed from schallers/pings to klusons sometime around generation 4 but there was no definitive cross over point.

FWIW - my serial number is 107280...meaning its very close to the one you show, actually later, but with buckers, meaning it was likely later in the Gen3 cycle, when P90's were starting to work their way in. Also, the Ping mounted headstock is 111..., maybe they just had some Ping available, needed to meet delivery, and applied them, in a much later guitar. Matt states "no definitive cross over point". As a former manufacturer, I can see using NOS components, proven, if it enables you to deliver on time. Some little shop only got a couple guitars, and those "2" went out with Pings....I can see that sort of thing. Clearly, just speculatin'. Gen3 was clearly adolescence for this design. Experimentation, growing pains, a few nights you'd rather forget.....

2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

Tio I guess the point of my posts of where my confusion lies is that there were definitely Gen 3's with P90's and Kluson was more the norm than the exception ( from ones I have seen - tho admittedly a few less than Matthew :-)  :humour:

BTW I believe that would be my triple P90 you were referring to  :wave I agree it does meet the Gen 6 description ( with of course the added PUP)

The confusion re the tuners that I have is partly Matt's statement " The tuners changed from schallers/pings to klusons sometime around generation 4 but there was no definitive cross over point". From my recollection almost everything I have seen prior to and including Gen 3 and those subsequent to Gen 3 had the Kluson tuners ( Cybercanyon's being the rare bird with the pings)

Here is my Gen 1 with the Klusons and a few of the 5 or 6 that I saw also had the Klusons. Now maybe I am mis-reading and misunderstanding the info that was provided  :arrow

Dohhhhh!! missed the boat on the Ventura I was eyeballin'. Sold while I was writing that previous note.  :yak:

oh well, GAS has struck. The virus is now in full bloom. We shall see.

2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

Maybe Cybercanyon/Mike requested non-Kluson tuners on his ... some folks don't like Klusons because of bad past experience.  :?

Also, I believe the DiMarzio "patent" has to do with "zebra" bobbin pickups, not double cream, but someone correct me if I'm mistaken. (I have a set of double cream Larrivee humbuckers in the guitar below. All three guitars in the last picture have Larrivee humbuckers in them ... sorry: off topic!)
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on December 28, 2012, 12:45:50 PM
All three guitars in the last picture have Larrivee humbuckers in them ... sorry: off topic!)
Going off topic to look at those pics I could do all day  :drool: Still luv the green. Nice line-up!!!

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on December 28, 2012, 12:53:07 PM
Going off topic to look at those pics I could do all day  :drool: Still luv the green. Nice line-up!!!

:+1:

2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

just realized, I've been totally remiss in posting photos of my Gen3, for purely studious purposes of course. Mine is same as your's Joyce....gloss/kluson/bucker

2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

Maybe Cybercanyon/Mike requested non-Kluson tuners on his ... some folks don't like Klusons because of bad past experience.  :?

The RS2 in question is a non-production experimental hybrid.  I did not order it custom from Larrivee, it was purchased from another party.  The Pings are leftovers from 2000.  This RS2 has SD P-rails with triple shots.  The tuners, pickups and rings are all original equipment.  It is a really cool guitar.
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!

Here are some pics.
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!

Also, I believe the DiMarzio "patent" has to do with "zebra" bobbin pickups, not double cream, but someone correct me if I'm mistaken. (I have a set of double cream Larrivee humbuckers in the guitar below. All three guitars in the last picture have Larrivee humbuckers in them ... sorry: off topic!)

It pertains to the exposed double cream PAF pickups.  It is a visual trademark not at mechanical patent.  Pickup manufacturers cannot sell creme double bobbin pups.  However, if the cream bobbins happen to be manufactured with metal covers then the trademark is in intact since the bobbins are mechanical not visual.  It is a different story if a user removes the pup cover and finds creme bobbins.  It is then not OEM and is an owner aftermarket mechanical modification.  Least wise that is the way I interpreted it.  It is a stupid trademark in my opinion.  I don't know if anyone has ever challenged DeMarzio on it.
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!

Here are pics of one I bought off Ebay.  I do not know if it is Gen 3 or 4.  I looks satin white to me but maybe it is TV yellow.

mary
:blush:

:nice guitar:

Very nice guitar Mary.
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!

Quote from: kaos on December 28, 2012, 04:18:01 PM
Here are pics of one I bought off Ebay.  I do not know if it is Gen 3 or 4.  I looks satin white to me but maybe it is TV yellow.

Is the finish Satin or Gloss :? Looks Gloss on my screen  :drool: thus she's a Gen 3 if so

:nice guitar:

The guitar is flat white so I guess that makes her generation 4.

mary
:blush:

Mary, Dig the arctic white, sans pickguard. Nice.

Cybercannon...Prails! and a pickguard. Good timing sharing that, I was just looking at my photos yesterday after a discussion about the physical similarities between an RS-2 and a SG (not cosmetic, but actual physics, materials and and construction)

Wondered what a PG on Gloss Red would look like. You couldn't have done a better job answering my question! Problem is I like it "spartan" as well.

For those of you with more electric exposure than I, would you say that a -2 with buckers runs in the SG arena or no?

2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers