Brand new om09 and it buzzes like a toy guitar..

Started by doug052764, May 02, 2012, 06:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wonky truss rod is a warrantee issue, so the guitar should go back to Larrivee. They should pay shipping both ways to my mind. I doubt you'll get that. Very frustrating situation for you.
L-03 Italian Spruce

Sorry to hear about this latest development. Yes, ship it back to Notable, and get your money back. I'm betting Jason will follow up with you to let you know what the final verdict on the guitar was (why it wouldn't stay set up). Truss rod issue does sound suspicious...

...pending...?
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Doug I'm very sorry hear this I wish there was a way we could get together so we can work out the kinks together.If I can be of any help you've got my number.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Yup, I suppose it's time to send it back and chalk it up to experience.  Sorry to hear that this unfortunate circumstance has convinced you to avoid future Larrivee guitars.   Your experience, though quite frustrating, is a very rare occurance and not at all typical of the quality most of us have seen in our guitars.    I guess no company is exempt from producing the occasional clunker.   Hope it all turns out alright for you in the end.

T the P

Quote from: doug052764 on June 19, 2012, 02:56:01 PM

The OM was sounding very good for about a week after receiving from Rob, and slowly it went back to the condition it was in before I sent it to Rob. Rob had me give the neck just a hair more relief and after a week, nothing. Today when I went to give it another 1/8 a turn to a 1/4 per Rob as in the first try I find there is absolutely no tension in the truss rod. It is like my initial 1/8 turn made the bolt sloppy feeling, can't even tell I am turning it.

Something's not right about this story. Larrivee uses a single action truss rod; the rod exerts force against the neck and the neck exerts an opposing force against the rod. Initially Rob added relief, that is to say let the neck go the direction it wants to because the rod is what resists the pull of the strings.  Over the course of a week, the guitar somehow returned to it's original state but how? The neck wants to be pulled into more relief by the strings and the truss should stay put but even if the rod somehow started exerting more force you'd still be able to just loosen it again because it's still exerting that much compressive force.

Sure it's possible to loosen the rod so much that the nut becomes loose but it doesn't make sense that the problem was too little relief, the rod was loosened correcting the problem then the neck lost the relief and now there's no tension on the rod. If that happened there'd be more tension on the rod. The only way this is possible is if you ran out of thread but that should be obvious.

Quote from: doug052764 on May 02, 2012, 06:15:53 PM
The A and D strings buzz even with an slightest of picking at different positions  up and down the neck. Buzzing sounds as if it coming from the pins/saddle area .  It was shipped to me and would hate to have to ship it back, also hate to have to pay for someone to fix it after shelling out good money for it. 

Love the size, feels more comfortable then my D60 and sounds great other then the buzz.  Waiting to hear from the dealer for a solution. Any ideas on how to fix it myself appreciated.

Also, don'y want to name the business as of now, things do happen and don't want to give a small business a bad rap here.

The guitar was set up for medium to low action I was told.

I guess all of this could have been avoided if you had just contacted Jason and shipped it back.

Quote from: tuffythepug on June 20, 2012, 09:51:45 AM
Yup, I suppose it's time to send it back and chalk it up to experience.  Sorry to hear that this unfortunate circumstance has convinced you to avoid future Larrivee guitars.   Your experience, though quite frustrating, is a very rare occurance and not at all typical of the quality most of us have seen in our guitars.    I guess no company is exempt from producing the occasional clunker.   Hope it all turns out alright for you in the end.

This kind of thing is a very rare occurrence in nearly any brand, not just Larrivee.  So when someone's first experience with a brand is this disappointing, a response like Doug's is completely understandable, even if not entirely reasonable.
I feel badly for Doug.  I know I'd feel the same as he does if this happened to me.
Gord

Larrivée C-09 | DeArmond M-75 | Squier '51 (modified) | Ibanez AF105 | Takamine EF360SC | Yamaha BBG5S (modified) | Rockbass Corvette Classic 5 Active

Quote from: jeremy3220 on June 20, 2012, 09:54:19 AM
Something's not right about this story. Larrivee uses a single action truss rod; the rod exerts force against the neck and the neck exerts an opposing force against the rod. Initially Rob added relief, that is to say let the neck go the direction it wants to because the rod is what resists the pull of the strings.  Over the course of a week, the guitar somehow returned to it's original state but how? The neck wants to be pulled into more relief by the strings and the truss should stay put but even if the rod somehow started exerting more force you'd still be able to just loosen it again because it's still exerting that much compressive force.

Sure it's possible to loosen the rod so much that the nut becomes loose but it doesn't make sense that the problem was too little relief, the rod was loosened correcting the problem then the neck lost the relief and now there's no tension on the rod. If that happened there'd be more tension on the rod. The only way this is possible is if you ran out of thread but that should be obvious.
FYI 
Just a side note: Larrivee now uses a two way truss rod. Otherwise I agree
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Quote from: cke on June 20, 2012, 11:59:08 AM
FYI 

Oh...then that would only help things... probably.

Yet another vendor letting a guitar leave the shop without a detailed inspection and a PROPER setup. Especially essential for online sales if this was that. If we have to pay extra then so be it. Another retailer that gets regular praise around here did this to me as well. I got sent a mess, even after requests to really check it over and prepare the guitar. No excuse for this ****.
L-03 Italian Spruce

Quote from: cke on June 20, 2012, 11:59:08 AM
FYI 

Not sure if they all work this way but recently I was setting up my Recording King and needed to level and crown the frets slightly so I went to loosen the truss rod to eliminate the back bow and get the neck flat. I turned the truss rod to the left and it just went slack, but the neck was still not flat (it still had some back bow to it). I turned it just a hair more and it firmed up again so I continued to turn it counterclockwise until there was just a bit of relief confirming to myself that it must be a two way truss rod. I then turned the rod clockwise to remove the relief and get the neck flat.

If Larrivee is using a two way truss rod you may need to turn the rod further counterclockwise to provide the relief you need. You would think the string tension would be enough to give the relief you need but there may be other factors involved that we are not aware of.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

So what was the outcome, was the guitar fixed under warranty or dod you get your money back ?
I'm looking at a used one at GC it's an OM09E and sounds really good.
I need an acoustic !!!

G&L Legacy

Quote from: mrcolin2u on September 08, 2012, 06:15:47 PM
So what was the outcome, was the guitar fixed under warranty or dod you get your money back ?
I'm looking at a used one at GC it's an OM09E and sounds really good.

I'm not sure what Doug ended up doing with the guitar.I know that when it left me she was playing fine.There were a few more adjustments and phone calls between him and me but I have a feeling that due to the original problems that a bad taste was left and it was more of a bonding thing but don't quote me on that part.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Fascinating thread. Wish the guitar would have worked out better, though.

My thought is that any guitar can have either a QC problem or an issue that developed due to poor handling. I have not seen or heard of QC problems with many Larrivees. But the difference you should always look for is how the company deals with a problem if it develops.

Both of my Larries see extremely well-built and durable.

Hope your dealer takes good care of you ... feel free to post on how it is handled.
"Soulshine is better than sunshine, better than moonshine, damn sure better than rain."