Lollar RS-4 Pickups

Started by Alexrkstr, June 07, 2012, 07:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm not familiar with these. Are they on the hotter or on the vintage side? Are they articulate or muddy?

These were on the early series of RS-4's.  I don't know much about them, though generally, lollar pickups are very highly regarded.  I believe that Larrivee used the imperials (I dont know if they were low wind, high wind, etc...).  You can listen to clips of the pickups themselves at Lollar's website: http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=humbucker-pickups .
Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18

Tested them a few years back and found the Lollars run a little hotter  ( more volume than the Larrivee's) with a subtle difference in the tone.  The DC resistence that I measured I can't recall exact BUT was around 7.6ohms & 8.4ohms  for the Lollars and 7.4 and 7.8 for the Larrivees was the 1st generation Larrivees I tested. Never really compared the three Gens
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I'm not a fan of Lollar's every set I have installed all sound harsh in the mid's.I LOVE Matthew's hber's there very musical sounding.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Lollar Imperials are generally understood to be great pickups. I understand the thinking about using proprietary pickups and know Matthew's pickups are terrific but there is absolutely nothing negative about the Lollars. My RS-4 is incredible and has Lollars.

Quote from: ducktrapper on June 08, 2012, 07:14:04 AM
Lollar Imperials are generally understood to be great pickups. I understand the thinking about using proprietary pickups and know Matthew's pickups are terrific but there is absolutely nothing negative about the Lollars. My RS-4 is incredible and has Lollars.
:+1: as are mine. Like em both. But if I had to choose and you are chasing that PAF I'd go with the Larrivee PUPS as said tho can't go wrong with one or the other
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on June 08, 2012, 07:48:27 AM
  :+1: as are mine. Like em both. But if I had to choose and you are chasing that PAF I'd go with the Larrivee PUPS as said tho can't go wrong with one or the other

Agreed. I didn't have the choice with mine but don't regret the Lollars. My 80's style Larritele has a hand wound JCL pickup that is incredible. Love that little beast! 

I'm not saying there a bad pu just stating an opinion.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: unclrob on June 08, 2012, 09:14:13 AM
I'm not saying there a bad pu just stating an opinion.

Right. For me, sort of like a choice between Angelina Jolie and Charlize Theron. Hard to go too far wrong.  :wink:

Being a married man who enjoys breathing I'll just say "OK" :thumbsup
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks