Brand new om09 and it buzzes like a toy guitar..

Started by doug052764, May 02, 2012, 06:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: hatofthecat on May 10, 2012, 10:38:24 AM
Anyway just to throw my own grenade into the proceedings.... yes, pressure does affect relative humidity.  The difference between somewhere low lying like most of Florida and up in the mountains some place else will have some small effect.  Trust me I'm a trained physicist and this stuff is 101.....

I know but he said it like the cause was not a change in relative humidity. PV=nRT

All this arguing and the buzz is probably 'cause it's strung with Cleartones

:humour:
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Quote from: jpmist on May 10, 2012, 09:54:37 AM
:winkin: Actually I did, it was a cousin's wedding on the beach and they wanted to hear Pach's Cannon. I feel sweaty and sticky just thinking about it, but the rest of the time it stayed in the air conditioned hotel.
I had to laugh.
I always refuse to play that tune.
But in my own defense, it is the only tune I ever refuse to play.
I feel sweaty and sticky just thinking about it, too.  :humour:

Still buzzing, I will be sending it in to Rob depending on price of shipping, hopefully before I wrap it around a tree.

Doug sent an email.Either way you get it too me I've decided that I want to do work no charge because I like a challange.I WILL BEAT THIS AFFLICKED GUITAR. :angry:
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on May 17, 2012, 09:15:59 PM
Doug sent an email.Either way you get it too me I've decided that I want to do work no charge because I like a challange.I WILL BEAT THIS AFFLICKED GUITAR. :angry:

Easy does it Rob. Violence has it's place, but try speaking softly to it first, in French.

Looking forward to a victorious outcome.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Broken I can barely speack english correctly.I would never offend another culture by trying to speak it.I can cuse in Italian my grandpa taught me. :laughin:
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

I'm going out on a limb and saying that Unclrob will get to the bottom  of this;  and it will not be fret buzz but a loose or broken brace inside the guitar that is causing the problem

I don't remember any mention of having removed the saddle to see if there's a problem there.

Quote from: tuffythepug on May 18, 2012, 12:37:02 AM
I'm going out on a limb and saying that Unclrob will get to the bottom  of this;  and it will not be fret buzz but a loose or broken brace inside the guitar that is causing the problem

That's a real possiblility. Don't forget the tap test Rob.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: broKen on May 18, 2012, 12:59:15 PM
I don't remember any mention of having removed the saddle to see if there's a problem there.

That's a real possiblility. Don't forget the tap test Rob.

:thumb
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

When I first received my beloved L-09 Quilted Mahogany guitar, I played every song I knew.  However, from time to time I would hear a buzz.  O K I know I'm not the greatest player, and figured I simply mischorded.  But even on smooth transitions I would hear a buzz.  I loved the guitar and purchased Colosi n&s for it, and took it to my luthier friend Steve (Moonstone Guitars) and mentioned the "buzz".  Steve played several progressions up and down the neck, looked up at me and said "sounds fine to me".  The next day I receive a call from Steve, and sure enough he found several loose frets.  Steve reglued, leveled, and polished the frets (and put a mirror finish on the ebony fretboard) in addition to installing the Colosi candy.  Steve made the guitar as good as the guitar could be.  It's a shame I still play the same, this guitar deserves so much more!  Check the frets.
Raynspunk
Larrivee L-09 MQ (Quilted Mahogany)
Breedlove Revival DR Deluxe
C Fox Napa SJ (RW/Spruce)
Breedlove Revival DM Deluxe
Peter Shingle Dreadnought (Koa)
Perry Vasquez RS Dreadnought (Brazilian)
Custom (Flame Maple/Adi) Dreadnought
C Fox Sonoma Concert (RW/Cedar)
Seagull Artist Grand (RW/Spruce)
Yamaki Bruno (RW/Cedar)

Quote from: raynspunk on May 20, 2012, 08:31:33 AM
...Check the frets.

That same thing occurred to me when I saw this thread again! A high fret can wreak havoc!
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

The guitar will get a full setup which will include as always checking the nut slots,saddle height for action,fret dressing and recrown,truss rod adjustment.As well as tightening all the screws and nuts of the tuners.Also I will be checking the brace's and bridgeplate,plus everything else I can think of. :thumb
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Rob, everyone on this forum knows you'll do everything right. I've known other techs that aren't as thorough (or as good).

You're... :+1:
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Thankyou very much but I have to say that I do what I do because as my much better half will tell you..."He's just insane,he's so into this stuff that whenever he talks 
in his sleep its not about women,sports,car's or anything normal..no not him its about friggin guitars.He's just insane I tell you.No were near nomal..but I love him"I have heard her say this many time's to people when she trys to discibe me to friends.And now thats she selling beauty ads parttime she tells this same story to her clients because they always ask her what I do for a living..she also adds that I'm a good cook and I do decent house work!!!!!!
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

OK the guitar arrived late today and all I've done so far is play it a little.What I've found is that its more of a fuzziness.It appears more prominate when I use a pick with a hard attack playing single note's but my ears are a bit tired as I spent the day with my face in amp's trying to solve some problems and I am NOT and amp tech.I did solve thr problems for 2 of 3.More too come. :wave
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: unclrob on May 20, 2012, 10:19:39 PM
..but I love him"

Little else matters friend!!! :thumb
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Ok I have been thru this guitar from top to bottom and inside and out.First as I thought some of the screw's were loose on the tuners as were some of the tuner post nuts.Also the removable strap button was loose enough to vibrate against the hole.The brace's were fine no gaps or sloppy glue job {As Always nice clean work inside}The truss rod nut was loose but Doug said that may be his fault no bid deal.I do wish that they would come up with a better place to put the dang thing,I'm a fan of having it at the headstock and using a nut instead or an allen but thats niether here or there.The frets were uneven and there was some funky marks on the 11 and 12 fret high "E" side and the crowning was not perfect as I could see spots on a few frets that weren't done right.This has been the most intensive set up I've done so for now its just been tuned up and place back in the case until tomorrow.I haven't decided if I'm going to replace the saddle as I don't like how it was cut by the previous tech but I'll now more tomorrow when I run it thru the pace's and an have a couple of my clients come by and critiqe it since I don't have Doug here to play it and I really want and need some second,third maybe even forth set of hands.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

This will be the most complete, comprehensive, and thorough set up  / tune-up any guitar could receive.    :nana_guitar
I'm sure all problems will be resolved by the time you are through.    :thumb

Doctor unclrob to the emergency room !    :thumbsup

Pete

1992 Larrivée L-09 Koa