Seeking advice on Larrivee for recording purposes

Started by TeleKing, August 29, 2011, 02:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Use one mic for both your vocal and the guitar.Your engineer is going to have to know something about mixing live.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: TeleKing on August 31, 2011, 04:00:34 PM
Appreciate all the responses, folks.

To clarify, I'm recording both vocals and acoustic live.  I'm in a separate recording room to my bandmates and we try to cut things live if we can.  So the high pass filter helps, but the vocal mic is picking up the boominess of the Larrivee as well.  If we cut some bottom on the vocal mic take then the vocals sound a bit thin. 

The room isn't large.  Only probably 12X13-14.  I'm pretty much in the middle.  There is small amounts of acoustic treatment, but not a lot.  We're all doing this in my home. 

I love both D03s, but thought I'd add to the collection if it helped with recording purposes.  I don't really need the pretty stylings so the 03 models usually do me just fine.  My friend has an L09, so I'll give that a spin, but wondered if an OM would be better or others? 

Well, vocals should be hi-passed even higher than acoustic guitars - so this is still not a reason to go buy a 1000+ guitar, unless you have the itch.  That's a different matter altogether.  What are you using for vocals?  A trusty SM58 will reject most of the acoustic guitar sound right out of the box.  Find one of those for $150 or less on eBay.  If you are trying to cut simultaneous vox and guitar, you need to use mics that are more directional than the SM81 regardless of guitar type.  You didn't state that in your first post.  Very important information.  The SM81 is not going to work without serious bleed of vox into that mic.  The OM will help, but it's not going to change all that much.  Mic selection is your path right now.  Simultaneous recording of vocals and any acoustic guitar is an entirely different exercise than just one or the other and here the mic choice and placement is absolutely important - much more important than guitar type.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

:thumb  Thankyou for the comments about my recording engineer. Was only quoting what he said. He has been a recording engineer all his working life(he is now around 55 years old) and has won many awards for his skills. He does not like recording dreadnaughts because they have so much bottom end.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

Quote from: TeleKing on August 30, 2011, 07:01:42 AM
Normally I'll use a Shure SM81 about 9-12 inches away from the neck placed at the 12th fret and pointed at the sound hole. 

Have you tried using 2 mics?  Keep the one you already have pointed at the 12th fret, but angle it AWAY from the sound hole.  Then, add a second mic aimed directly AT the sound hole to pic up the low end.  Blend the two signals during mixing to get just the "right amount" of low end.

Cheers!

Jim
Larrivee J-10-Koa "The Goddess"
Larrivee J-10-FM (Custom "Larrivee and Vine" Headstock Inlay)
Larrivee J-10 (w/Celtic Knot Headstock Inlay)
Larrivee Parlour - Mahogany

See "The Goddess" at www.mccrain.net/koa.

If you just can't get what you want with positioning the microphone...

Before buying a new guitar (unless you really want to get a new guitar) I might try something like this to attentuate the low end.

Screeching Halt

:+1: They work nicely.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help