All Hog Larrivees

Started by 12stringer, July 02, 2011, 04:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi folks
I had the opportunity to play a brand new all hog DV-03MT...Love it, just need to get the money together to buy one now.  Are these all hog Larrivees rare or have they been making more of them lately as I don't see it listed as a model on the Larrivee website....and oh yea...here's some doughnuts  and coffee to wash them down with  :donut :donut2 :donut :donut2 :donut :donut2 :coffee :coffee :coffee  :coffee :guitar
Tanks :bgrin:
Randy
Larrivee L-02
Guild F212XL

Well, the one you're talking about is especially rare because it also has a cutaway ("DV" - right?). Larrivee does occasionally do a run of 03 series with hog tobs, and you can always order an 05 series with a hog top, but cutaway hog tops are rare...sounds like a nice find!

Post some pics when you can.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I'll do my level best to land this one!  Pictures to follow :bgrin:
Randy
Larrivee L-02
Guild F212XL

My OM-03 hogtop has a fine tone that makes it fun to play.

Hogtops are much rarer than sitka spruce, but there have been quite a few made over the years. But as mahogany becomes more expensive and harder to obtain, I don't think we'll see as many in the future as we used to see.

but as already pointed out a rare model like a DV-03 combined with the rarity of a hogtop is a double rare.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Well I must say that this guitar has a powerful bass response and the whole guitar vibrates when strummed.  A great all round guitar really....for my playing style (Folk and Rock finger picked or strummed).  I actually preferred it to an L-03R that they had there (but i am a mahogany fan to begin with).  The L-03 series was what got me pumped about Larrivees in the first place...The Taylors were too bright for my ears.  The Jumbo Guild F50 was awesome but $1000 more money.  So I am set on getting the DV-03MT.  :smile:
Randy
Larrivee L-02
Guild F212XL

Can't beat a Larrivee HOG top.   :welcome:

Quote from: Strings4Him on July 02, 2011, 06:30:50 PM
Can't beat a Larrivee HOG top.   :welcome:
I am a Believer ...  :thumb
Thanks for the welcome :bgrin:
Randy
Larrivee L-02
Guild F212XL

Plus one on the desirability of the Larry hog tops. I too have an OM-03MT, and the thing has this delicate voice that is just intoxicating.

Hog tops are mostly fundamental ... not a whole lot of overtones or complexity. They are mid-heavy and that can make them good blues guitars. But the OM handles fingerstyle, singer songwriter, etc. as well as it does swing blues. It is warm and balanced, and has this high-end that is crystaline and sweet.

If you can get a Larry hog top ... do it.
"Soulshine is better than sunshine, better than moonshine, damn sure better than rain."

Quote from: HAMFIST on July 02, 2011, 07:12:55 PM
Plus one on the desirability of the Larry hog tops. I too have an OM-03MT, and the thing has this delicate voice that is just intoxicating.

Hog tops are mostly fundamental ... not a whole lot of overtones or complexity. They are mid-heavy and that can make them good blues guitars. But the OM handles fingerstyle, singer songwriter, etc. as well as it does swing blues. It is warm and balanced, and has this high-end that is crystaline and sweet.

If you can get a Larry hog top ... do it.
Yep...I like the all hog sound...it works for me as I write and record songs and my previous all hog dread guitar was great as a recording fingerpicked guitar...a real nice warmth to it and nice fat trebly highs.
Can hardly wait to get my hands on the Larrivee!
Randy
Larrivee L-02
Guild F212XL

Quote from: 12stringer on July 02, 2011, 05:32:54 PM
The Jumbo Guild F50 was awesome but $1000 more money.  So I am set on getting the DV-03MT.  :smile:

yup...Larrivee's pack a punch for the money...
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

If that Larrivee hog-top speaks to you, then grab it.  I had three hog-tops (L-05MT, L-03MT, Martin 000-15S) and tired of the midrange sound and lack of sparkle.  I took a chance on the Forum IV 00-03MT and am very happy with it.

Personally, I would not have one if it were the only guitar in the stable.

Try different types of strings to get the kind of sound you like best.
Play it daily for best results.

Quote from: prof_stack on July 03, 2011, 09:16:21 AM
If that Larrivee hog-top speaks to you, then grab it. 
I have heard the guitar but once and all I can say is it is special....that does not happen very often to me so i know i have to jump on this one.  I'll post some sound clips once I have it  home.
Randy
Larrivee L-02
Guild F212XL

Quote from: 12stringer on July 03, 2011, 10:21:25 AM
I have heard the guitar but once and all I can say is it is special....that does not happen very often to me so i know i have to jump on this one.  I'll post some sound clips once I have it  home.
They are rare around central Texas for sure. I bought a D-03MTe from craigslist at an excellent price over a year ago.
   It needed a lot of TLC and I very much enjoyed bringing it up to a nice look and playability. A forum member in Canada has it now and has nothing but good things to say about it.

In fact it was GOTM last winter and I started the order for the F-IV 00-03MT which has become my favorite guitar to play. In fact it sits right beside me here where I use my laptop.

I'll post a pic of both of these. First the D-03MTe that "gracem" has now. He has a nicer pic in the GOTM archives.

I have cleaned up the clutter in this corner, but this is where I sit when on the computer and look out the windows, play my guitar, read, etc.

00-03MT   (Forum IV)

I enjoyed the sweet sound of the D-03MTe very much. But my shoulders etc. prevent me from playing any extended time period with a dread. Thus I ordered the 00-03MT. (which had never been made before btw)

Well...I hate to dissappoint but I could not afford to buy the all Hog Larrivee....however I was able to snag a brand new Martin all Hog DRS1 with monthly payments.  This guitar is sweet and deep.  I was playing it against a D-02 (which was awesome) and although very close...the Larrivee had a tiny bit more bottom depth but was less clear on the top end and the Martin was good from bottom to top.  I just got home with the Martin and man does it sound good strumed or picked!  I am so happy I could just bust!
:bgrin: :bgrin: :bgrin: :donut :donut2 :coffee
Randy
Larrivee L-02
Guild F212XL

Sorry it didn't work out for you but that's great that you found a nice Martin.  Now then.... Care to share the location of this Larrivee DV-03MT??? :whistling:

Quote from: Larrivee4me on July 14, 2011, 10:46:52 PM
Sorry it didn't work out for you but that's great that you found a nice Martin.  Now then.... Care to share the location of this Larrivee DV-03MT??? :whistling:
Sure....it's at The Guitar Shop in Mississauga On, Canada
Randy
Larrivee L-02
Guild F212XL