Built in tuner

Started by mas music, March 12, 2011, 12:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I humbly suggest that Larrivee add built in tuners to it's acoustic electric guitars. Breedlove guitars also use LR Baggs preamps and they have this feature. Ovation and Takemine have used built in Chromatic tuners for years. Martin now uses built in tuners on it's new Performing artist series's. 
*Larrivee L03 Bubinga
*Kremona Sophia classical
*Taylor 562ce
* Makala Baritone Ukulele

I must agree with you on that. I have heard purists poopoo the suggestion, but I have yet to hear a good reason. The most I get is " all built in tuners are built in to crappy pre amps" but have always found that hard to believe.  :donut
Rick

2009 Larrivee L-10e
1999 Larrivee D-02e
2004 Ovation Elite T
2000 Yamaha SG 500B

"There's only two kinds of music: the blues and zippity-doo-dah."-Townes Van Zandt

Hey Ricstar, I noticed you have an Ovation Elite T. That was my first good guitar which I sold  to buy my Larrivee. I really miss the built in tuner. I've yet to play another Ovation I like nearly as much as the elite T. It has a great low end punch and sounds terrific in drop D and DADGAD tunings. I sold it to a great kid in the church youth group so I still get to play it every so often. He plays mostly electric, the Ovation with it's low profile narrow neck is a great crossover for him.
*Larrivee L03 Bubinga
*Taylor 562ce

Thanks MM. I do love my ovation. It plays well and it's so rugged so I tend to take it with me on little road trips. I tend to leave my Larrivees safe at home. That is a good idea to leave one guitar in alternate tuning. I rarely try to learn songs in alt tuning because I don't want to retune back and forth. I know the google dolls have some great songs in drop D. Maybe I'll try some of those songs.
Rick

2009 Larrivee L-10e
1999 Larrivee D-02e
2004 Ovation Elite T
2000 Yamaha SG 500B

"There's only two kinds of music: the blues and zippity-doo-dah."-Townes Van Zandt

Drop D is a good place to start with alternate tunings. DADGAD for me is magical. In this tuning you can play all kinds of complex and unusual chords with the greatest of ease. Tuning up and down is a pain. Keeping a cheap guitar in an alternate tuning is a great way to really dig in and explore.       
*Larrivee L03 Bubinga
*Taylor 562ce