Zoom H2...or others?? What do you use?

Started by DJ in FL, February 18, 2010, 09:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am interested in something to record my sound and maybe even video of what I play/practice.  Not for any use but personal playing or recording.  As badly as I play/sound sometimes I wonder if I really want to know how it sounds/looks.

Options I am looking at are Zoom H2, for obviously just sound.  At that price for a little $$ more, can look at Zoom Q3 which has the video also.

Have had suggestions from friends for FLip ULtara HD, Zi8 and Creative Vado HD.  With research can see they all have plus and minus.  I, like most of us, have a limited $$$ for this purchase, so maybe $200 range is my comfort, but up to $250 a stretch (like getting the guitar you REALLY wanted).  Seems there is always another option to purchase with each of them ranging from extra or bigger SD cards, cases, chargers, etc.  In some of them you are at $400.

Wondered what the learned group here thinks about these particular models, or any other suggestions.  Again the idea is just to record for sake of practice, to learn, maybe upload some of it to MY computer to keep for future (in case I get better?)

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

:thumbsup
Larrivee 000-60
Martin 000-28 VS
Guild Mark II
Alvarez Yairi CY 127 CE
Alvarez Yairi CY 140 CE
Two cats who like my playing

DJ
I have been using the Zoom H2 for quite awhile now.  It's simple to use and gives excellent results with basic settings. 

This may sound off the wall, but I've found my current generation Apple Nano iPod to be surprisingly decent for both recording audio as well as video. It's not going to be close in quality to a condensor mic, but it's not awful either. When I was auditioning guitars I'd use it to snag a look at the guitar and price and then record a few minutes of it to listen and watch later.

If you're curious *** here's a clip ***. (BTW: Google checks these Google Docs for viruses, also I had the nano dangling from my shoulder so it got under my sweater a few times. . .)

Quote from: DJ in FL on February 18, 2010, 09:15:31 PM
I am interested in something to record my sound and maybe even video of what I play/practice.  Not for any use but personal playing or recording.  As badly as I play/sound sometimes I wonder if I really want to know how it sounds/looks.

Options I am looking at are Zoom H2, for obviously just sound.  At that price for a little $$ more, can look at Zoom Q3 which has the video also.

Have had suggestions from friends for FLip ULtara HD, Zi8 and Creative Vado HD.  With research can see they all have plus and minus.  I, like most of us, have a limited $$$ for this purchase, so maybe $200 range is my comfort, but up to $250 a stretch (like getting the guitar you REALLY wanted).  Seems there is always another option to purchase with each of them ranging from extra or bigger SD cards, cases, chargers, etc.  In some of them you are at $400.

Wondered what the learned group here thinks about these particular models, or any other suggestions.  Again the idea is just to record for sake of practice, to learn, maybe upload some of it to MY computer to keep for future (in case I get better?)

Quote from: DJ in FL on February 18, 2010, 09:15:31 PM

Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Quote from: tuffythepug on February 18, 2010, 09:34:37 PM
DJ
I have been using the Zoom H2 for quite awhile now.  It's simple to use and gives excellent results with basic settings.

Zoom H2 also works great for me!

Just got a Zoom H2 from B&H Photo yesterday and so far love it.   Simple and easy to get a track down to the computer. Haven't even read the instructions.  Placed it in front of my Marshall AS50D with very nice results. 

I also have a DP02CF but it is a bit cumbersome for what I want so it continues to look good as a decoration in the music room.
Steve ....aka the SMan

H2 is great!  I use it quite a bit.  Although, it's very very slow to boot up and work with files.  I would be curious to know if the newest H4 is significantly faster, it would be worth it to me to upgrade if it was.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

I don't have near the experience of most of the guys on here but I have been really impressed with my H2.  I think I got it for less than $120 new-in-box after watching ebay for a couple of weeks.
L03R(e)
Taylor 314CE
Taylor 312CE

Bang for the buck, the H2 is hard to beat!  I bough one about a month ago, and was really surprised at the quality of sound and simplicity to use.  I also own a Tascam DP-01FX CD multi-track recorder that I really like, but only because I can add effects to the sound (and the multi-track function of course).  But sound quality between the two is almost unnoticeable.  For the purpose of just recording yourself for personal use, I think it is the idea recording device.

So yeah, big thumbs up  :thumb  :thumb  :thumb  for the Zoom H2.  Especially now that the price has dropped significantly in the past few months.

NewStrings
Lord of the STRINGS * Kronbauer TDK *  Taylor 614ce  *  Larrivee LV-03RE  *  Taylor 810ce  *  Martin D-18 Custom  *  Gibson ES - Les Paul  *  Gibson J-45  *  Fender Telecaster  *  Jason Romero banjo  *   National Estralita Resonator * Muth mandolin

I got one for Christmas and am loving it. In fact, I actually like it better than the H4. A couple of friends each have H4's and I found the interface to be frustrating. The H2 OTOH is simpler and easier to use IMHO.
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

Quote from: NewStrings on February 20, 2010, 05:46:47 PM

So yeah, big thumbs up  :thumb  :thumb  :thumb  for the Zoom H2.  Especially now that the price has dropped significantly in the past few months.

NewStrings

I got a PM from **** (guess I will leave out the name since they obviously did not want to post openly) and it said their local Sam Ash was having a DOORBUSTER sale this weekend and lots of stuff on BIG SALE; they had hourly specials.  They got the mailing from SA store.  One of them was a DOORBUSTER hourly DEALS was Zoom H2 (reg $179) for $99.  :cop:

I called two SA's in my area and none of them heard or know about such a deal, and did not have anything special going this weekend.  Anybody else get a mailer like that?  I am sure I would like that price!   :?  I did send a note back to ****, but alas no reply back. :crying:
Larrivee 000-60
Martin 000-28 VS
Guild Mark II
Alvarez Yairi CY 127 CE
Alvarez Yairi CY 140 CE
Two cats who like my playing

ALRIGHTY! Good buy, I couldn't find a $99 anywhere either, I actually have an Edirol HR09, but the zoomers are good stuff too!
Now we need to hear some tunes posted   :winkin:

08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

Quote from: Michael T on February 21, 2010, 04:28:50 PM

Now we need to hear some tunes posted   :winkin:

Well by me that would be highly unlikely.  :winkin: :laughin:
Steve ....aka the SMan

I have a Boss Micro BR.  It is probably a bit more complex than the Zoom (but then you get a whole range of effects, drums, etc.), but once you get the hang of it it's great. 
2007 Larrivée L-03R
2008 Tanglewood TW66
1992 Fenix D-90SR
2006 Fender American Telecaster
2007 Schecter C-1 Exotic Star (w/ Bare Knuckle Black Dog pups)
2003 Yamaha RGX420

I looked at various models, compared all the nice features, and decided on the Zoom H4n. Fancy recorder, but guess what? I ordered a Zoom H2 on Amazon - great price, and in the end, it is about the recording for me and simplicity. Tuffy's and BenF's advice stuck in the end.
Now I'll have to wait until May to get it...  :guitar
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Quote from: Zohn on March 19, 2010, 01:56:07 AM
I looked at various models, compared all the nice features, and decided on the Zoom H4n. Fancy recorder, but guess what? I ordered a Zoom H2 on Amazon - great price, and in the end, it is about the recording for me and simplicity. Tuffy's and BenF's advice stuck in the end.
Now I'll have to wait until May to get it...  :guitar

:thumb
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

I have the Q3 and think that the mic is great and the auto adjustment is also a plus. It is also an audio recorder that can be used with or without video. I have some youtube stuff that I have recorded with it. I just recorded a full band live and the sound is amazing for an all-in-one unit like this. If you are buying it for the audio quality and that is the most important thing to you you won't be disappointed. The video is lower resolution but it doesn't claim to be a great video camera. It is great for youtube stuff.

The audio is the main feature and the best feature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sFAd4GvGdo
Larrivee L_03RE
Larrivee OM_03R
PRS Soapbar
Boneyard Les Paul
Custom Strat

"It will be a great day when the schools get all the money that they need and the Air Force has to hold a bake sale to buy a bomber."
                  --Bumper Sticker

Quote from: Bailey on March 19, 2010, 10:34:03 AM
I have the Q3 and think that the mic is great and the auto adjustment is also a plus. It is also an audio recorder that can be used with or without video. I have some youtube stuff that I have recorded with it. I just recorded a full band live and the sound is amazing for an all-in-one unit like this. If you are buying it for the audio quality and that is the most important thing to you you won't be disappointed. The video is lower resolution but it doesn't claim to be a great video camera. It is great for youtube stuff.

The audio is the main feature and the best feature.

Hmmm, nice results indeed, and a nice song too!  :+1:
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

So I got my H2 (finally) today and an Ultrasound DI Plus - feel like the dog that caught the bus...  - what now???  :tongue:
Can't wait to try them out tonight.