New 00 - 05

Started by PastorMike, January 18, 2004, 07:09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just received my new 00-05 from Guitar adoptions. What a great guitar. The small body has a quick response and full tone with light fingerpicking. The bass is clear (though certainly not as full as a dread or L model) and the sustain is exceptional. I had ordered and sent back a Froggy Bottom h12dlx because I couldn't justify the cost. The 00 -05 doesn't quite match up to the airy (is that a word?) tone of the Froggy Bottom, but it comes close. The overtones are amazing for such a small bodied instrument.....any others out there have and 00 -05?

Mike

Mike,

Maybe you can help, I'm thinking of buying a Larrivee Braz Dread, however I'm also looking at some of the smaller bodied Larrivees as well.  What in your opinion is smaller than the Dread with the fullest sound?  

I've looked at some of the Taylor x14's and while the size is nice the tone does not speak to me...

Thanks!

:)

P.S. Congrats on the new addition!
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

Congrats Pastor Mike, I hope you enjoy your 00 05 as much as I am mine (bought a couple of months back); I love that 12fret tone & reckon it's the nearest thing to the prewar "grail" Martins & Oscar Schmidts around at a reasonable price - I was dubious about losing the extra 2 frets of a 14-fretter, but now I've taken the plunge, I don't miss them at all, the payoff is the sheer comfort of a 25 1/2" scale neck on such a compact body; I'd recommend a switch to a bone saddle tho, that will make a huge improvement in sound; enjoy!

HangFire,
In my very humble opinion....If you want the more full sound, the L models are hard to beat (the OM's are a little smaller and just about as full of a sound as you are gonna find also). When you get below the OM in size, there is some trade off, to me the sound becomes a little more boxy and woody. My 00 is sweet, but my C 10 (L body with Florentine cutaway) is perhaps the sweetest guitar I have owned or played. On whether to go with the Brazilian or not, I am of no help. I have not had the opportunity to play a Larrivee in rosewood other than Indian.
In a dread, I am sure it would be wonderful.
Just my opinion, but I think the L models are far and away the most balanced guitars out there!
Mike

Quote(the OM's are a little smaller and just about as full of a sound as you are gonna find also)
Very full of sound! And very comfortable to play, also. I usually fingerpick, but we were strumming some of the songs on Sunday, and I was surprised at the volume (and tone quality) coming from my OM. The longer I have it and more I play it, the more I love it!

Deb :D  
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R

Larrivee lurker here....

Don't see anything on the 00's on the Larrivee website so assume they are brand new?

I like the look and size of them.....from a view I got on the Guitar Adoptions website.

One question....what's the string spacing at the saddle?
Like the parlor or hopefully a bit more generous?

Thanks,

Diane

Diane,

They've been around a long time actually. They're just don't make very many. The string spacing at the saddle is wider than the parlor. I think it's the same as the standard Larrivee, 2-3/16".

I actually ended up with a 1997 Larrivee 00-09 (sitka/rosewood) to replace your 00-18V that I had. I love it!

That's me and my 0010 on the Forum Pic's section. I agree it's a fine instrument. Plays well in altered tunings, and gosh, it's pretty!
Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.

GIGGLER,

Where is the Pic's section?  :huh: Things have moved so much I don't know where my socks are?   :P  

When you first get to this website, you'll see Main, Forum, Pics, Reviews (coming soon). Click on the Pics, and select the 0010....for the one I'm referring to.
Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.

Wow, that is a wonder!   :)  

I have an 00-09 and am wondering if I should have bought an 00-05 instead.  I play a lot of blues and I guess rosewood is just too clean  and glassy for the sound I want. Need a little more grit. Simply a fantastic guitar though. Very tough to find a 12 fret 00 that doesn't cost some serious $$$

it's worth experimenting with the setup on the 00 05 (IMO): as well as replacing the graphtech saddle, I replaced the original ebony bridge pins on mine (pretty tho they were), both of which changes enhanced tone & responsiveness to, my ears..