Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 06, 2008, 04:36:11 PM

Danny
When were you ever out ?  :roll
By the way I hold you personally responsible for getting me into this forum guitar thing to begin with.   I was happy to stay on the sidelines, but noooooooooooooo.     :tongue:

Tuffythepug

You are welcome sir  :guitar

Quote from: BenF on December 06, 2008, 05:10:55 PM
Fine, since Ricky is not available over the weekend, PM me if you are a committed buyer for Italian Spruce/Indian rosewood.  I am going to sleep now, so won't respond till morning, but can forward the list to Ricky/Jim when complete.  es-355 - do we set an end time for this?

I hope ths is OK.  Ricky PM'd me yesterday and said he was happy for me to help.

Cheers and good night

Ben
Yes I am committed!  (and my wife is ready to commit me :ohmy:)   

Are you still asking for a commitment without final specs, a deposit amount/final cost? Because I'm not willing to do that and then have to renege. I understand you have an OUTLINE but I'm not financially committing to an outline. Frankly, still being asked to do so is a bit aggravating. I understand the excitement but do not understand the insistence to commit to an unknown, much less RIGHT NOW.

We haven't even heard back from the Powers That Be with any definite anythings, fcol.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: strawintogold on December 06, 2008, 05:22:59 PM
Are you still asking for a commitment without final specs, a deposit amount/final cost? Because I'm not willing to do that and then have to renege. I understand you have an OUTLINE but I'm not financially committing to an outline. Frankly, still being asked to do so is a bit aggravating.

holly

I'll amend my post then.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Thank you. I think the only fair way to make it up to me is to buy me a Forum Guitar. Full of cash. It's not my intention to throw cold water on you, well, it sort of is. I want to make a real commitment and simply need real information to do so to avoid making it all stupid on my end.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

I thought I read this morning that there would still be fret markers along the binding. However, now Tuffy is talking about only fret markers at the 12th fret.  If that's the way it's gonna be, I'm out. Sorry.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Fret markers on the binding is a given. They are simply discussing the forefront.  You know how men are they just assume you get it. Ironic since they don't listen half the time....

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.

I am pretty sure that we won't have any further information than we have until monday...

until then..... I am gonna have some wine... and play some good ol' blues...... :nana_guitar
Jeffrey

If I might suggest...

Since this appears to be becoming an ongoing thread on a variety of topics. Maybe a moderator could create a separate heading for Forum III Guitar. Then, inside the heading, there could be separate posts for Tonewood, Microdots, Headstock, Price, Hog configuration, RW configuration, etc, etc.

I know it would be easier for me to track some of this... :arrow
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

Quote from: Dale_I on December 06, 2008, 05:37:42 PM
If I might suggest...

Since this appears to be becoming an ongoing thread on a variety of topics. Maybe a moderator could create a separate heading for Forum III Guitar. Then, inside the heading, there could be separate posts for Tonewood, Microdots, Headstock, Price, Hog configuration, RW configuration, etc, etc.

I know it would be easier for me to track some of this... :arrow

Look ar rpm60912's post on page 23 for a summary of where we are.  I am hoping now that we have two proposals, one for Italian Spruce/RW and one for Italian Spruce/Hog - the consensus states 12 fret, LS-03 satin finish, and we have been advised that std scale is sensible from two knowledgeable sources.  the remaining details can come later in my opinion.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

I'm in for one of these special guitars.  I will echo my pal Tuffy and say:

LS-03RW
Ital Spruce
No guard for case not on guitar
3 microdots at the 12th fret
no fret markers
no abalone
If we can get a herrinbone or something special for the rosette as a thow in...YES
It should include bone nut and saddle.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 06, 2008, 03:33:29 PM

A 12 fret LS-03 with Ital. Spruce/ RW and clean fretboard and  special label inside may be plenty.
I'm going to be real interested to see If JCL has something up his sleeve to surprise us with.   kinda like the anticipation of the prize in our Cracker Jack.  He may throw in something like bone nut or special rosette, pyramid bridge....    who knows ? 

Jim Holler already already said he would add bone nuts as part of the set up.

I think its too bad people are opposed to an abaleone rosette. I think it adds a bit of class to an austere 03 model. And if you are looking for a clean fret board I think no dots at all would look better than three microdot or roman numerals on the 12th fret.

I was in touch with Jim H today on a different matter and he said he hoped he could have the finalized dimensions from Larrivee on Monday...that should resolve the body depth issue. What is the fascination with a 4" depth? I expect that a deeper body would produce a more robust tone....
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Quote from: strawintogold on December 06, 2008, 05:29:04 PM
Fret markers on the binding is a given. They are simply discussing the forefront.  You know how men are they just assume you get it. Ironic since they don't listen half the time....

holly

Holly,

You got that right!
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Did  somebody say something?  :humour:
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: strawintogold on December 06, 2008, 05:22:59 PM
Are you still asking for a commitment without final specs, a deposit amount/final cost?

I can understand them wanting to get a count...it helps with planning. But it certainly looks like there are enough potential buyers interested to go forward with the order.

And that final order will be placed with Jim at Trinity and since he's the dealer he will need to determine the amount of the deposit. I think last time $100 got your order placed with the balance due before the guitars were shipped to their new owners. IMO there will be plenty of opportunity to add your name to the order even if you don't commit your dollars in this thread.
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Hey Dotneck - not everyone is opposed to abalone, especially if the other option is std -03 rosette -

Seems a shame that the short scale is such a huge upcharge (15+% of total cost?) - it's one of the things that makes my LSV so playable and special.

$125 up charge for Italian spruce seems alot, but I am in no position to say for sure one way or another - hope it's worth it, but I have no problem taking JCLs word for it.

Shallow (4") body does add alot to playability for us old guys with bad shoulders from too many years of wrench-jockeying and hammer-swinging. It does detract a bit from sound depth, which is why the Ls body over the 00 body is nice, you get the additional interior volume to make up for it, plus the larger soundboard.

Very excited to hear from Jim/JCL about the final design details, and of course price. I can't decide whether I would want rosewood or mahogany. Maybe I should order both? Makes me think of that beautiful matched set RandyR has - but if I got the pair, I'd definitely have to sell the LS-10. That may be asking too much -

The biggest downside will be 15 to 20 of us all as excited and anxious for the next 6 months as ricky was for his 00 -  :humour:

Is my name on the list yet? and how many times?

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Quote from: lyric_girl on December 06, 2008, 05:27:47 PM
I thought I read this morning that there would still be fret markers along the binding. However, now Tuffy is talking about only fret markers at the 12th fret.  If that's the way it's gonna be, I'm out. Sorry.

Lyric _girl
I'm afraid you mis-understood.   Side markers on the binding of the fretboard would be as normal.  The playing surface of the fretboard would be dot-less except for 3 dots at the 12th which is right at the neck to body joint.  In my view the fretboard would still look clean since the only marker would be at the neck/body joint.   We all need to have the markers visible to us as we are playing.  The side markers work just fine for that.  Sorry if I said something earlier to mis-lead you.

Quote from: strawintogold on December 06, 2008, 05:29:04 PM

holly
I'm sorry but could you repeat that, I didn't hear you. No wait I did get some of it , about 50% I think :tongue:
                  You are right...too much assuming and not enough listening.

Quote from: Dotneck on December 06, 2008, 06:13:08 PM
Jim Holler already already said he would add bone nuts as part of the set up. (I think it was the saddle , not the nut...)

I think its too bad people are opposed to an abaleone rosette. I think it adds a bit of class to an austere 03 model. And if you are looking for a clean fret board I think no dots at all would look better than three microdot or roman numerals on the 12th fret.

I was in touch with Jim H today on a different matter and he said he hoped he could have the finalized dimensions from Larrivee on Monday...that should resolve the body depth issue. What is the fascination with a 4" depth? I expect that a deeper body would produce a more robust tone....
The rosette in Abalone is better than the 03 series standard for sure, but the LS rosettes like the one on Tads LS-10 are nice. I'm not saying anything here to "ADD'' anything, just a chat.

Quote from: tadol on December 06, 2008, 09:10:08 PM
    Hey Dotneck - not everyone is opposed to abalone, especially if the other option is std -03 rosette -

Shallow (4") body does add alot to playability for us old guys with bad shoulders from too many years of wrench-jockeying and hammer-swinging. It does detract a bit from sound depth, which is why the Ls body over the 00 body is nice, you get the additional interior volume to make up for it, plus the larger soundboard.

Tad
DOTNECK, look over the intire thread and the 1st one. ONE THING through out has been a true small body Larrivee....ie a 4'' depth max. at the end pin. It is necessary for many of us, if not you then you are blessed. I just responded to a personal PM from another forum member interested in this guitar for that very reason.
         Plus this is a TRUE LS original size and the very intent of the 1st thread through this one was to have something no longer available. Frankly the larger depth body puts the specs within a fraction of an OM. That would not be near as "special'' in my view as the small body LS would be. This size may never be made again, outside of an order like this.
                                                                        Danny

Quote from: flatlander on December 06, 2008, 08:17:27 PM
Did  somebody say something?  :humour:
Yea, I think I heard something like 4 more to go(ld)  :humour:

PHOTO OF THE NEW LARRIVEE FORUM III GUITAR   !!!

Got your attention yet ?   I just found some photos of a 2003 Larrivee LS-05.  It's slightly different than the one we are contemplating:   05 series instead of 03 so it's glossy instead of satin.   Also this one is a 14 fretter.  However the main thing you can see instantly is just what this size is compared to a 00-50 (It's labeled a 00-05 but I think that's a typo) and also compared to a parlor.    The 00-50 is on the left,  the LS-05 in the middle and the Parlor on the right

there are several more photos of this guitar on that webshots site.    this mahog / sitka LS-05 is lookin' pretty dang good.   Even the ablalone rosette looks ok.  Check it out if you are interested.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1205319195055361149VYEtIC

Now I'm really leaning towards the mahogany / Ital. Sp.     :whistling:

Tuffythepug