So, I went to Yarnell Place today

Started by Walkerman, March 14, 2008, 07:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

to get the scoop on the Larrivee electrics, since I was the one who asked were they going to be like the mandos...Matthew was quite generous with his time, and gave me a full tour.

Duck.....here's a teaser for you....sexy...mais oui?

And, they are ready to be shipped.  Notice the one backwards, at the front of the rack.  The mahogany of the back and neck are perfectly match.  Regardless of the color of the front, they all have beautiful, natural mahogany backs.  If you like wood, like I do, you'll appreciate this natural touch.

It's Friday night, so I'll post the rest of the story this weekend, but let me tell you, they are real, they are really nice, they are in many ways innovative, and I am going to have one.

"Oh yes, she will be mine!"

I'm definitely interested in one of these too.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

me gusta tambien. i like the charcoal burst myself. no funds in the piggy bank right now though
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

One of the things I really liked was that they are slimmer and lighter than the Les Paul....much lighter.  You will also notice that there is a bevel cut between the upper and lower bout.  It makes it much more comfortable.  This is especially true when you are sitting down...and I suspect a lot of us play seated now.....there is also a bevel in the cutaway, and that is really comfortable too.

You can also see that they have beveled out spaces where the volume knobs go.  They don't just sit out on top like the Les Paul, but they are seated down into the top...much more streamlined, and much less prone to breakage....

That sunburst in the last pic is awesome!  If I start saving now I might be able to afford one in say about......10 years! :laughin:

So is Jean doing the sunburst on these? And how much will they sell for?  :nice guitar: Danny

:drool:

Here's a new Collings City Limits Deluxe. Byootiful!!! It lists for 2K more than the RS4 though and for absolutely no reason I can see. This is why I generally choose Larrivée. Quality and price both equal or trump the opposition on most fronts. 

http://www.12fret.com/new/Collings_CL_Deluxe_Amber_Sunburst_pg.html

So, let me start at the beginning.  I stopped off at Master's do-nuts and picked up a couple of dozen of their best, then drove a couple of miles to the shop on Yarnell place.  I hooked up with Matthew, and asked to see what's going on with the electrics.  He graciously gave me the full tour.

We started with a stack of rough cut mahogany backs...

Then, he showed me some rough-cut, bookmatched maple tops

You can just make out the edge of the press (orange) where the tops and backs are married.  Matthew said they are glued and put into the press, and then stay in the press for...it was either 48 hours or four days...sorry, I didn't write this down...but it was a long time.  If you look past Matthew, you can see a really big stack of mahogany. Also notice how thick the maple is, and compare it to how thin the finished product is.  They don't skimp on the maple.

Next, they take the married pieces and begin cutting out the back for the electronics...

After that is done, the piece is cut to final shape, and routed for the rest of the electronics.  Again, notice the bevel between the upper and lower bouts.  You can also see the bevel cut into the leading edge of the cutaway.  It just makes it more comfortable when sliding your hand up for the really high notes.  Also notice the cavities for the pick-ups...you can see how thick the maple is in the center, compared to how thin it is at the edges.  This is fully-carved, and it adds to the lightness of the guitar.  These axes make Les Pauls feel really heavy.

More to follow.....

Thanks and thanks to Matthew, as well. Very cool. They look for real!!!! Those maple tops would look fabulous with a clear finish too! 

Next, Matthew showed me the neck assembly area......

Here's some necks and fingerboards

And here's a shot of them being assembled...look at what's hanging above the ladies on the board... :cheers

The necks and bodies are painted separately...I didn't get a shot of the necks being painted, but here are some bodies curing after being painted...I love the amber.......

Thanks for that tour!
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Some final thoughts....

One for Duck...

One for me... also notice the fret-markers.  All come fully inlaid MOP, and the necks are  long scale... :guitar

Matthew then let me listen to some employees playing them...yes, Larrivee employees are guitar people..

And I did a small bit of unplugged strumming, just to get the feel.  My final impression is that these are  top notch electric guitars.  Very comfortable to play.  The fit and finish is what you'd expect from a Larrivee.  The electronics are top of the line.  The Larrivee family nailed it, right out of the box.  I will have one.

Parting shot....for those of you who seem to be afraid that Larrivee will back-burner acoustics....well, here's a "few" acoustics ready to ship out...

Thanks again to Matthew and everyone at the Larrivee shop...enjoy the do-nuts, as always, I enjoyed the time I spent with you all....Steve

Great pictures and tour..  thanks  :beer
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

thats awesome! does anyone know if they are using the same tuners on the elecrtics as they use on the acoustics (except the traditional series)?
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

The charcoal is stunning. The sunburst is fabulous and the amber looks incredible! I'm more befuddled than before. I may really have to get one of each.  :drool: :arrow :wacko:

Quote from: brandon on March 15, 2008, 11:27:52 AM
thats awesome! does anyone know if they are using the same tuners on the elecrtics as they use on the acoustics (except the traditional series)?

The RS4s come with Schaller tuners.

The amber one Matthew is holding is stunning.  :nice guitar: That's a much better picture than the one on www.larriveeelectrics.com, where the amber model looks like it was painted-you can barely see any wood grain.
2008 Larrivée L-03SO (Grevillea Robusta)
2008 Art & Lutherie Ami Almond
2000 Larrivée OM-02

Quote from: Yoyodyne on March 15, 2008, 04:10:34 PM
The amber one Matthew is holding is stunning.  :nice guitar: That's a much better picture than the one on www.larriveeelectrics.com, where the amber model looks like it was painted-you can barely see any wood grain.
Quite honestly, my pictures don't do them justice.

Quote from: Walkerman on March 15, 2008, 08:51:24 PM
Quite honestly, my pictures don't do them justice.

Wow! I feel a bad case of GAS coming on...fortunately ye olde bank account should put a quick stop to that. :wink:
2008 Larrivée L-03SO (Grevillea Robusta)
2008 Art & Lutherie Ami Almond
2000 Larrivée OM-02

i agree, these pictures help show more of the detail of the guitars. the sunburst and the amber both look a lot better in these pictures than when i saw them first. i think i would still get the charcoal burst though.
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60