OM-03MT Forum #9/17

Started by gary0319, December 01, 2007, 02:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thought I'd post a pic of my new baby. First off, thank's to Joost for agreeing to sell it to me and for being a straight shooter. This is my first "hog top" and I am thrilled. What a big and elegant voice. I have always liked 12 frets and this one is one of the best I've tried.

Here she is fresh from a neck adjust and a new set of Martin Custom Lights 80/20.

I know that there are some previous owners of this particular guitar so feel free to chime in with some history.

Gary

[attachment no longer available]
Taylor Custom GC all mahogany
Tayor 812c (1997)
Taylor 612c (1994)
Yamaha FG730S
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Samick Greg Bennett OM-08CE

:nice guitar: She's a beauty allright.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Beautiful.  Congrats!  Really nice stand too!

Wow, they are nice.  Ever since I bought my first parlor, I've become a big 12 fret fan...my Martin 00-15S is awesome...but I would seriously conisder trading it for one of these.  Congrats Gary.  Froma ll accounts I've read, these are outstanding guitars and I would love to try one myself. 

This forum is gonna cost me a fortune ,I want them all.Thats a sweet looking instrument .I love them slightly used .Some other soul broke in the frets .

Congratulations! Hog tops are beautiful.  :thumbsup

I've owned 3 different 12 fret guitars, not counting quite a few classical guitars, and this is the best of the lot so far. To my ear there is something very special about the way 12 fret guitars deliver the tone, kind of like an added "roundness: to each note. I'm not guitar techie, but I suspect it has something about the positioning of the  bridge deeper into the lower bout. It may also be where the center of the string vibration positions itself over the top. For what ever reason, Ilike it.

I'm a recent convert to Larrivee and to Larivee Mahogany specifically. This, however, is my first all-hog, and Ill admit I was concerned about it being too much mahogany and perhaps being a bit on the "muddy" side. To my delight, this guitar sings at all registers and has delightful trebles with significant sustain, even with an 11-52 string set. So I'm convinced that with a Larrivee, there is never "too much Mahogany", only just the right amount.

DL....I agree on preowned guitars being special. Sometimes I think that the used guitars I have purchased, bring with them some of the spirit of the previous owners and that contibutes to what I end up playing on them. Since I can't read music, I make up all my own stuff and I never fail to find some new path when I take up with spitits of these previous owner. That , said, to all previous owners of this guitar on this forum........your secrets are safe with me.

Thanks for all the great words.

Gary 
Tayor 812c (1997)
Taylor 612c (1994)
Yamaha FG730S

#16/17, my Charlotee, is 1 of 2 lefties made.  As the story goes, it was ordered as a righty but mistakenly built as a lefty.  IMHO, the best damn mistake Larrivee ever made, these 12-frets are amazing!  Of the 17, 10 are hogtop, 7 are spucetop.  Here are some pictures, courtesy of bhika, of them being built.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Wow, is this unusual.......

Bluesman, just out of curiosity, I took a closer peek at those photos from bhika. That one hog top getting ready to be sprayed has a serial # of 77279. I just checked my serial #......77279. I guess if I wanted to check out the history of this guitar, this would be a pretty good starting point. Thanks for the post.

[attachment no longer available]
Tayor 812c (1997)
Taylor 612c (1994)
Yamaha FG730S