Help w/ neck profile/radius alternatives!!

Started by tubetone74, June 25, 2007, 04:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have 2 Larrivee's that I love but the next acoustic needs to have a fuller feeling neck (meaning thicker in the hand like my old Tele or EJ Strat), high shoulder, and maybe about a 12" radius vs. the flatter 17" radius of the Larravee's. I would want it to be equal or better in quality to the Larravee's with a comparable price. ( not interested in Taylors, had a few in the past) Any suggestions? Thanks for your insights.

I don't know if Santa Cruz's are out of your price range but they have a great neck profile with V necks. They're thick but have a soft V that transitions smoothly across the profile. Gibson's usually have thick necks and many Martin's do.

May be out of your price range, but the older Lowden/Avalon necks are pretty chunky.
"The hardest thing in this world .... is to live in it." - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Quote from: tubetone74 on June 25, 2007, 04:09:43 PM
I have 2 Larrivee's that I love but the next acoustic needs to have a fuller feeling neck (meaning thicker in the hand like my old Tele or EJ Strat), high shoulder, and maybe about a 12" radius vs. the flatter 17" radius of the Larravee's. I would want it to be equal or better in quality to the Larravee's with a comparable price. ( not interested in Taylors, had a few in the past) Any suggestions? Thanks for your insights.

The Martin Modified V neck profile sounds very close to what you've described...but I'm not sure you'll easily find it on a production model at your price point new, but certainly used.  They are standard on all the vintage series models (i.e., OM28V, D18V) and the Golden Era series (000-18GE, OM28 Marquis)...although I think there are slight differences between the Vintage and GE necks, too.  If you have a Martin dealer locally with a good selection in stock, you should be able to suss out if the mod V profile works for you.

Huss and Dalton makes a nice full neck profile.
Rob

Bourgeois Vintage OM
Larrivee D-05 MT

Seagulls have that nice baseball bat feel.
Cheap and very well made too.
Dave