why does larrivee choose to set up do-3 with light gauge strings

Started by swi, December 25, 2006, 11:32:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey Folks, I found your forum while researching Larrivee Guitars, and am amazed at the wealth of information out there! This is my first posting and am curious as to why Larrivee chooses to set up their DO-3's with light gauge when so many of you it seems, ultimately change to medium. I have read in their faq's that any guitar except the 12 strings may utilize mediums, so apparantly it is not an issue of tension vs structure. I have special ordered a DO-3R with clear pick guard, and feel like a kid counting the last days of school. Hoping to hear from you , thanks.

I don't have an answer for you, but I think most dealers would set it up with mediums for free when you buy the guitar. I know Jason at Notable Guitars throws in a free setup and maybe even strings of your choice.

Thanks Jeremy, at this stage of the game I'll try what they stock it with and then try the mediums. I was wondering also that since I never ordered an instrument sight unseen, will I get grief from the store if I find a blemish or something that doesn't look right even though the guitar may be okay otherwise? I would be willing to wait for another order.

Quote from: swi on December 25, 2006, 12:22:37 PM
will I get grief from the store if I find a blemish or something that doesn't look right even though the guitar may be okay otherwise? I would be willing to wait for another order.
You shouldn't if it is truely a blemish. Things like grain patterns don't count as blemishes.

Lites are a lot easier on the fingers, and I'd be willing to bet that the average player uses lites for that reason.  Lots of folks prefer comfort over tone.

Larrivee can sell more guitars to the average player buy sending out their guitars from the factory with lites, making them easier to play in the store, making them sell more guitars to folks looking for some that not only sounds good/looks good....but it easy to play as well.

Larrivee knows that any serious play will ignore the strings on the guitar hanging in the store and will change them to their choice string ASAP anyway.  I'd just be willing to bet that lite strings sell more guitars in the long run for not only Larrivee, but for most any other guitar maker out there.

I'm pretty sure most of the "ordinary" players won't ever change to mediums. I play lights only on my LV and I see no reason for putting mediums.

Although on the parlor, it's another story.
2005 Larrivée LV-03RE
2003 Larrivée Rosewood Special Edition Parlor
1998 Fender American Std Stratocaster
1991 Vantage VS-5 (beater)

Since I discovered bluegrass and medium sets, I am amazed at all the stores that recommend lights only.
Even though I have been playing for 40 years I never really understood the importance or value of strings.
As a kid I was always looking for the cheapest strings. After high school I bought my first good guitar (1967 Gibson J50).
Using whatever strings I could find and afford is what got put on the guitar. Once a year I would change the strings.
Like Guy Clarks song "Black Diamond strings, break one change one as good as it gets"
I never understood why the guitar sounded dead. About 20 years ago when I got a little more serious about my playing I went into a few stores and asked what strings would work and sound well on my guitar. They always recommended lights, so that's what I bought and would put a new set on about every 6 months.
About 10 years ago I discovered the joy of new strings. I finally could afford to change them as needed, but still used lights. About five years ago someone played my guitar and said it sounded good, but did not like my wimpy strings. I tried a set of bluegrass and was blown away by the sound. When I bought my OM UncleRob recommended the bluegrass at a minimum and he was right. I now have switched to mediums on several of my guitars as my fingers have gotten used to the weight. I wish someone would have taken the time to explain the value of fresh strings and guages to me long ago. There was no internet or great forums like this one back in days of yore.
So I am guessing that guitars come with lights for the same reason, stores like them and they make the guitar easier to play. Since most makers don't send out guitars with low action the lights probably make it play easier and therefore easier to sell.

Oh the things we learn as we age, and yes I still have that Gibson and it is a mint guitar, looks showroom new.
SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes

Santa Cruz Dreads ship out with lights if i'm not mistakin.