I'm Going Electric!

Started by mazareth, October 24, 2006, 07:43:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey Forumites,

I am the proud owner of a brand spankin' new Godin Exit 22. Now it's time to get an amp for gigging and practice. I'm currently playing through my bass amp, which is fine for woodshedding. I'll probably continue to gig with my acoustic until I feel ready to start gigging with the electric.

My band only plays club gigs, either through our own or the house PA. I'll generally be micing my amp.

Here are my preferences:

Real tube combo
On board reverb
Effects loop(?)
$500.00 budget (willing to go used)

I've played mostly Fender Amps: Blues Deluxe, Blues Jr, and various years/models of the Twin Reverb. I'm tending toward the Blues Jr. because of the portability and sound. I'm hoping for some ideas outside of the Fender family, knowing that at least part of the cost of a Fender is the name...

My band plays originals, John Prine, Neil Young, Dylan, Haggard, Waylon Jennings, etc...

Thanks in advance!

Mark
Mark from Wis.
Guild D-35
2004 Larrivee D-09

Martin LXK2
Epiphone Elitist '61 Reissue EB3 (for Sale!)
Birdsong Skyrider custom bass.

The Blues Jr with the BILLM mods done to it will be a great amp for your needs. Check the Fender Forum and Bill's website for info. 

Reverend no longer makes amps, but if you can get a used Reverend Goblin on eBay, that is an excellent choice.

I got mine because my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe was just too loud in most situations.

I love my Goblin.  It is 15w/5w switchable tube amp.  It has a UK/US/Vintage schizoid switch, which allows the amp to change tone.  I mainly use the UK (think Vox AC15) and US (think Fender Deluxe) modes.  The 15/5 watt swich allows me to change tone based on whether I want to play at higher or lower volumes.
Bing

Larrivee J-09FM
Taylor 814ce
Music Man Axis SS w/piezo

Check out the Peavey Classic 30 as well.  A highly underrated amp, but perfect for what you're thinking of, and very cheap.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Thanks for the replies guys! Looks like I've got some research ahead of me. I'll let you know what I end up deciding...
Mark from Wis.
Guild D-35
2004 Larrivee D-09

Martin LXK2

One more suggestion: The Traynor Custom Valve 40.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

i also like the peaveys i have a classic 50 that suits me will. its nick because it has a birght and normal plug in and switches for gain and regular.  good overall amp for the price. i have a 2X12, they also make a 4X10 but i perfer the 2X12.  try one out and see what you think.
good luck

Fender Vibrolux amps are really nice too but they're only 40 watts.
Larrivee OM-03R-12 string + IMix external
Martin 000-15S + IMix internal
Martin OM-16GTE + Fishman Matrix
Gretch 5120
Fender Squires - Tele & Strat

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.

Check ou the Traynor YCV20WR bought it about two months ago and I just think it's a sweet little amp for  around four bills
Ruben

Check on ebay for a used Music Man. A 65-112 or 65-210 should be obtainable for under $400. It would be a hybrid solid state preamp/tube power amp. Its all point to point wiring. Reverb and tremolo. And there is a half power switch that reduces the power from 65 to 35 watts. Sound? Think vintage Fender. After all, they were the last amps designed by Leo Fender. It does not have an effects loop, however. Great amps!
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Quote from: rrgguitarman on October 26, 2006, 11:23:39 PM
Check ou the Traynor YCV20WR bought it about two months ago and I just think it's a sweet little amp for  around four bills

Those are nice amps.  I just traded mine in when I bought a Matchless.  My only concern is that it wouldn't be loud enough to compete with a loud drummer.  I gigged with mine in two bands.  It was fine in a more soft-rock context with a very controlled drummer, but I had problems with it in a band that has a more balls-out drummer and another loud guitarist.  In that context, I very quickly lost any clean headroom, especially once the amp heated up a bit.

The other thing to know about that amp is that in my experience, if you're going to use pedals, you have to use the effects loop.  it doesn't take them well through the front end.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

I think you should also consider Traynors - my .2
Mike
OM-03R

Well, after playing a bunch of different amps and doing a fair amount of online research, I went with a Fender Blues Jr. I like the simplicity and the sounds I'm getting out of it. Thanks to everyone who replied to this post with their suggestions!!  :thumb
Mark from Wis.
Guild D-35
2004 Larrivee D-09

Martin LXK2