:
velvet elvis - rob bell
bible - various authors

about to read:
the grace awakening - chuck swindoll
pilgrim's progress - john bunyon
bible - various authors

This is an interesting thread...

Right now I'm reading "She Said Yes"... a real short book about the life of Cassie Bernall.  If you remember back about 7 years (wow.. it's been that long already), Cassie Bernall was the girl that was shot by the Columbine killers for proclaiming that she believed in God.  It's an interesting read thus far.

But speaking of "pilgrim's progress"... my pastor preached an entire sermon series on that book.  I'm not going to lie.. I can't remember too much details, but my pastor speaks very highly of it.

-dan
2005 Larrivée OM-03
2013 Larrivée P-03 Koa

My Boss is a Jewish carpenter  <ixoye><

Okay... now that's just creepy!!

That last post was my 420th post on this forum.. and it was sorta about Columbine.. which happened on April 20th, 1999.  Weird.

-dan
2005 Larrivée OM-03
2013 Larrivée P-03 Koa

My Boss is a Jewish carpenter  <ixoye><

it gets even creepier, 4/20 is my birthday and i also read She Said Yes several years ago, and to top it all off Adolf Hitler also shares this birthday which if i remember correct may have been at least part of the reason the shooting was planned for this day.

Just finished reading "One Day In September"  the story of the 1972 Munich Olympic masacre of Israeli athletes and the Israeli "Wrath of God" retaliation campaign.

Also just finished "A Time To Die"  the tragic telling of the loss of the Russian nuclear sub Kursk and her crew.

just started reading "See No Evil" a true story of a CIA agents career.

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor

Last books I read-Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller
                        Modern Western Civ
                        Dark Knights and Holy Fools(a book about the movie director, Terry Gilliam, he did monty python,12 monkeys, Fear and Loathing in Las vegas)
                        Hells Angels(by the late Dr. Gonzo himself...Hunter S. Thompson)

Currently reading- Game Informer Magazine!

Books on my to read list-

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas(hunter s)
                        The Great Shark Hunt(hunter s)
                         The Adversary:The Christian Versus Demonic Activity

I'm on a H.S.T kick right now.

See No Evil sounds pretty interesting...

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

I've still never read Hell's Angels, but speaking of HST, his Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail is one of the best (and funniest) books of political reporting I've ever read, even if (or perhaps because) it's hard to tell what's true and what isn't.

I read it when it was appearing in serial form in Rolling Stone back in '72, and I've read it again two or three times since.  Highly recommended if you're into political campaigns, or even if you're not, but you just like HST's style.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Chainfire by Terry Brookes
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Hey Andrew, if you like Hunter S., you might enjoy "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" by Ken Kesey.  Very entertaining, though I would not recommend it as a life-style!

Long live the Merry Pranksters!
"Are you ON the BUS?"
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Oh yeah, that's a great one too.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Hells Angels was actually quite boring.  The documentation in itself was the boring part, it wasn't boring because of the wording.  I've watched several documentations on the Merry Little Pranksters...I'll have to check it out...that would really suck to drink kool aid laced with LSD...there was this kid I used to work with(well, he actually just bummed around the restaurant), he brought a vile of acid into work one day...suffice to say, I didn't leave my drinks sitting around that day...he was the type to play sick games like that with people...he even threatened to shoot some in my eye!

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

Quote...that would really suck to drink kool aid laced with LSD...

Apparently that was occupational hazard of hanging around with the Grateful Dead.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

sorry soul, didn't meant to hijack this thread...

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

Blame it on the spiked Kool Aid.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

I am reading, really trying to read,  Like A Rolling Stone, Bob Dylan At The Crossroads by Greil Marcus.  The champion of the run-on sentence.  This book is pretty cool but very tedious at times trying to read a sentence that is a page long, or a half page long and a lot are a third of a page.  This guy believes that Dylan changed the world with this one song.  Makes some good points too.
Richard

Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee L-05MT
Martin 000-28
Martin 000-28
Martin D35
Ovation Balladeer
Fender Mexi-Tele

I just finished The Razor's Edge by Maugham. A great book, I always like books about the human condition. Of Human Bondage is probably my favorite.

I'm currently reading A collection of short stories by Yeats, right now I'm on John Sherman. I just finished Dhoya.

"The Big Bang Never Happened" by Eric Lerner. A (low-math) systematic rebuttal to the big bang theory of cosmology.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

"A Rabble in Arms" by Kenneth Roberts. Great Historical Fiction.
jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29

hey roknroll - what did you think of blue like jazz? i found it very interesting and i could not put it down, which is weird because i disagreed with miller on many of his points. but still, i could not put it down. i think i buzzed through it within two or three takes, which is odd for me. a book norally lasts me a week at least, but that one kept me up past my bedtime for some reason.

my take on miller is that he is trying to make christianity "cool". that's a noble thing to do, but i can remember when mullets were cool....and now they are not. it just seemed like he has a campaign going against anything traditional or fundamental. it seemed like he had to hold himself WAY back on some serious soapboxes. i think he could easily write a book called "why i hate fundamentals".....and think thats where his real passion is.

still. i liked the book and it made me think.....really hard.....about lots of things......which is the ultimate goal of any author......so miller did well in that respect.

you might like "velvet elvis" if you enjoyed blue like jazz. rob bell is nicer than miller and is a pastor, so its written much different. but i think they probably hang out at some of the same places and feel the same way about many things....but again, bell just seems nicer and deeper than miller. but, miller is not a pastor, but just a guy who writes books, so he can be a little more liberal with his opinions to the masses.

i think i may read blue like jazz again this year. i still won't like lots of it, but miller is a good communicator and i do like his style.

rock

on

Practical Demonkeeping, Christoper Moore's first novel.
I burst out laughing from time to time on the subway on my way to work. 
People don't quite know what to think of it.
(I love it.   :wacko:)

- Richard
oldWithoutMoney.com

Larrivee L-09 (w/ non-cutout iMix)
Larrivee 00-19
Larrivee OM-0312R

plus a few other treasures