Fly fishing

Started by Zohn, January 12, 2009, 05:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I would like to know which members like fly-fishing. (I know Fongie does) I'm interested in which waters you fish, and what species you like to catch.
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Here in Oxnard we fly fish the surf...mostly for barred perch.

I haven't gone much the last few years, but I do enjoy river fly fishing for trout and smallmouth in the Housatonic River near my home in CT.  The Farmington River is nice too. 

DAVE
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

I've been trout fishing most of my life, and will use a fly rod at times, but am not a purist, as I'll also use a light spinning rod.

I'm fishing in north Georgia now after fishing in Missouri, Maryland and Michigan where I lived previously with a hiatus for the years I lived in central Texas.

I used to tie my own flies.

A local chapter of Trout Unlimited meets nearby, and I've been thinking about going to one of their meetings just to see what is going on with them.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Quote from: Randy_R on January 12, 2009, 12:16:08 PM
I've been trout fishing most of my life, and will use a fly rod at times, but am not a purist, as I'll also use a light spinning rod.

I'm fishing in north Georgia now after fishing in Missouri, Maryland and Michigan where I lived previously with a hiatus for the years I lived in central Texas.

I used to tie my own flies.

A local chapter of Trout Unlimited meets nearby, and I've been thinking about going to one of their meetings just to see what is going on with them.

For a few years I was very active in my local Trout Unlimited chapter.  We had our own riverkeeper group monitoring water quality, did erosion control planting, worked with the state to have dams removed on at one time, one of the most polluted rivers in CT, the Naugatuck.  Now the state stocks surplus brood stock Atlantic Salmon in it.

I also enjoy river fishing from a canoe or kayak with spinning gear for smallmouth; trout fishing is usually neoprene waders and fly fishing gear.  It's way too cold in my area for any such activities right now. 

DAVE
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7

I don't get the chance to fish much lately, but enjoy fishing the surf for Bone fish, as well as Cob (salmon family), Garrick and skip jack.
Also, I love fishing in Botswana and Zimbabwe for the ultimate freshwater species nl. Tiger fish, affectionately known as the "striped dog". Another favourite in those waters is the Nembwe of the Bream-species.
I want to go and catch the famous steelheads in British Columbia one day...
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Count me among the fly fishermen!

I fish both fresh and salt waters here in New England.
Streams for trout, rivers and lakes for bass(largemouth and smallmouth), crappie, and pike or pickerel (yup, really works!)
and salt water for squeteague (also called sea trout or weakfish) and striped bass.

Dan
"Time flies like an arrow..Fruit flies like a banana"
Townes Van Zandt

I'm not a fisherman at all, But Christopher Parkening a great classical guitar player and teacher (He was a student of Segovia) is a award winning fly fisherman. He has a book out that might interest you. In it one chapter will be about guitar and the next about fishing. Back and forth like that. I think the book name is Grace Like Rain.

G'day folks, anybody heard of 'Greg Norman', the golfer? His the 'Great White Shark' here in Australia, and he was recently reeled in by ex tennis player by the name of Chris Evert-Loyd, I read that she got a hell of a fight....'Pound for pound'  :humour: Not bad, Huh? Anyway, back on a serious 'Note', if you get a chance, Greg made a series of fishing in the 'Gulf of Papua New Guinea' (Where I was born). He had fishing tours for overseas fisherman, mainly Americans. These Yanks flock by the numbers on these tours to fish 'The Mighty Black Bass' or the 'Papuan Bass' as we also call it. I won't tell you anymore, there are videos out on these tours, check it out. You'll be blown away with these fish. We catch 'Barramundi' 40lb plus, and they don't come close.
Cheers
fongie
P.S 'Good to hear from you, bro'

Hi gluve1, thanks Man, I certainly will check this book out.
Cheers
fongie

One of my friends is a fly fisher and he publishes fly fishing magazine.
It's called 'fly-fusion'.

really nice people, ya'll should take a look at them :)

http://www.flyfusionmag.com/
Jeffrey

Thanx so far for all the (most) welcome replies. Another devoted Fly-fisherman/builder, is John Walker. He buils his own guitars, and the models are named after his favourite rivers and creeks that he fishes. John was one of the original founders of the Gibson Custom shop in Montana. No surprise  then that his models are based on famous Gibson designs. I've shared fishing and guitar stories with him per e-mail - a most pleasant guy. Check out his guitars at http://www.johnwalkerguitars.com/JWG1/welcome.html
It's certainly worth a visit. 
Walkerman, that Barred Perch sounds interesting and a prospect for my "to be caught"-list  :winkin:

Before my accident I used to fish Lake Powell and the Colorado River from below Lake Powell all the way south past Lee's Ferry.  Some parts are easily reached, some by boat, and some parts you have to hike or climb down to get to.  I use both a  spinning rod and fly rod.  Trout, bass, crappie, catfish and striped bass are all caught here and more.  We used to go fishing every week.  One day we caught over 200 stripers above the dam.  It is a fun place to fish, hike and live. 

Mike

[attachment deleted by admin]
Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!

WOW!!
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Fly Fishing just seams like a great way to pass the time. I am not a fly fisherman. I am just amazed at the skill required to place the fly just in the spot to get the big one. So cool.
Jim Holler, Luthier
" What we do in this life will resound throughout eternity"

www.TrinityGuitars.com

One of the most exhilerating moments in my life was catching a fairly large trout, in a tiny stream, on a rod I built,  on a fly I tied and then releasing it unharmed.  I should also mention that many mistakes occured before that event culminated in releasing that beautiful fish.  In building the rod, the real seat kept falling off, I lost many flies in the bushes before the fish was caught, I was repeatedly skewered by thorns while wading...  These mishaps just made the result all the more rewarding. 

DAVE
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7

G'day Cyber, these are truely magnificent pics you display, just magnificent. Thanks Man.
Cheers
fongie

Quote from: ncognito on January 13, 2009, 03:33:24 PM
One of the most exhilerating moments in my life was catching a fairly large trout, in a tiny stream, on a rod I built,  on a fly I tied and then releasing it unharmed.  I should also mention that many mistakes occured before that event culminated in releasing that beautiful fish.  In building the rod, the real seat kept falling off, I lost many flies in the bushes before the fish was caught, I was repeatedly skewered by thorns while wading...  These mishaps just made the result all the more rewarding. 

DAVE

:+1: Hi Dave, quite easy to spot a fly fisherman from such a post. Been there, got the T-shirt. And I share each sentiment expressed, thanx - BTW I caught a rainbow as well with a home-made #5 weight, and a custom "wooly bugger" which is a wooly-worm design.
Mike, thanx for those great pics - I would sure love to fish that river in the canyon for "Smallies"  :smile:

Quote from: Trinity Guitars on January 13, 2009, 03:16:16 PM
Fly Fishing just seams like a great way to pass the time. I am not a fly fisherman. I am just amazed at the skill required to place the fly just in the spot to get the big one. So cool.

95% of the time is spent on finding that sweet spot - which amounts to 99% of the inspiration for going back for more.... :winkin:

95% of time is spent on finding that sweet spot which amount to 99% of time removing "Lures' from the tree branches.   :humour:
Cheers
fongie